MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, fairly new member here glad to be a part of the forums to help out others. I own a 2006 mini cooper! ('',) Just finished a rebuild on the head and gave it a full service myself.
I had been speaking to members of a mini group on facebook and we are trying to understand how the batteries on minis appear flat when they are half empty. This is some system designed to protect the batteries from going completely flat and destroying them I am told. Has anyone got any info about this? What is the system called how does it work? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
876 Posts
In the older Generation 1 Mini Coopers they did not all come with AGM style batteries. So you would have to check your original manufacturer style battery to see which one you have.
All I really know about AGM type batteries is it can be more difficult and require a professional type battery changer capable of deep cycle charging(deep cycle to the next level system). To bring some AGM batteries back to a good 12.85 type charge(and have the battery hold that charge like it should).
AGM batteries are more capable of coming back from the dead, if you have a good charger, and most autoparts stores don't they just unbox whatever is retail and use that system.
There will be people that debate on that. But unless you are quick to nurse your agm battery early on and know it's not gonna be used in a car and have it back in a car within about three months from a trickle charge situation. Your AGM is gonna need professional deep cycle charging to bring it back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts