MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m looking for some advice on my ongoing battery issues.
I don’t do much mileage and originally thought this was the issue but it turns out there is something draining the battery which I now see is a common fault in Mini.
My first question is why won’t my battery take a charge suddenly, it did four weeks ago when I last charged it but this week nothing and it wouldn’t jump start either. I’ve tested the charger on another battery and it isn’t a problem with the charger.
The car was in the dealer for testing of the issue back in the summer but after a day and £150 later they hadn’t found the issue and suggested another week of testing which would cost over 700.
I’ve seen the threads on solar chargers, do those actually charge enough to deal with this ongoing issue?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
sounds like the battery, May be at fault. Based on the idea of Mini Coopers having a higher target value then most cars.
Most older Batteries need to be deep charged if they were not battery tended(trickle charged). When NOT in use.
over time the battery does get old. If you recently bought a new battery then it could be a parasitic energy draw. But really I personally would change my alternator and Battery before coming to that conclusion. Here a chart as per mini Bently publishers on my Mini Cooper if that help.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Engineering

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like the battery, May be at fault. Based on the idea of Mini Coopers having a higher target value then most cars.
Most older Batteries need to be deep charged if they were not battery tended(trickle charged). When NOT in use.
over time the battery does get old. If you recently bought a new battery then it could be a parasitic energy draw. But really I personally would change my alternator and Battery before coming to that conclusion. Here a chart as per mini Bently publishers on my Mini Cooper if that help.
View attachment 279984
Thanks for the reply, I had a new battery in June and as it was in for testing at the dealer in September they checked things like the alternator, the conclusion was it was a battery drain but without further testing they didn’t know where. My question really is why a 7-8 month old battery won’t take a charge.

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
7-8 month old battery. It would come down to the type of battery. Not every battery can run a Mini Cooper. I know that first hand. Lost about 300 dollars in one weekend. I bought a optima red top FOR Mini Cooper. It did not work. BUT because it could hold a charge. I could not return it. OPTIMA says it's for a mini cooper but does not go into detail as to which one. So I sold it for 100 dollars last year. Right now I run a Duracell battery that works great.
I don't like answering questions with questions. But some AGM type batteries and even Optima batteries require there very own Optima or brand specific battery charger to do the charging. Where as a regular deep cycle charger or anything else will not work.
Is you battery charger specific to the battery your charging?

My battery
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7-8 month old battery. It would come down to the type of battery. Not every battery can run a Mini Cooper. I know that first hand. Lost about 300 dollars in one weekend. I bought a optima red top FOR Mini Cooper. It did not work. BUT because it could hold a charge. I could not return it. OPTIMA says it's for a mini cooper but does not go into detail as to which one. So I sold it for 100 dollars last year. Right now I run a Duracell battery that works great.
I don't like answering questions with questions. But some AGM type batteries and even Optima batteries require there very own Optima or brand specific battery charger to do the charging. Where as a regular deep cycle charger or anything else will not work.
Is you battery charger specific to the battery your charging?

My battery
View attachment 280002
I’ve been having this issue for quite some time so have been through a few batteries over the years, maybe I should try a higher grade one then. As far as the charger it’s a smart charger and had worked fine to charge the battery about 4/5 weeks ago but now won’t charge it which is the mystery.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Hi, I’m looking for some advice on my ongoing battery issues.
I don’t do much mileage and originally thought this was the issue but it turns out there is something draining the battery which I now see is a common fault in Mini.
My first question is why won’t my battery take a charge suddenly, it did four weeks ago when I last charged it but this week nothing and it wouldn’t jump start either. I’ve tested the charger on another battery and it isn’t a problem with the charger.
The car was in the dealer for testing of the issue back in the summer but after a day and £150 later they hadn’t found the issue and suggested another week of testing which would cost over 700.
I’ve seen the threads on solar chargers, do those actually charge enough to deal with this ongoing issue?
Thanks.
how many hours do you drive a week,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how many hours do you drive a week,
Hi, I do very little driving which is part of the problem also during lockdown we aren’t supposed to be out unless necessary but as I mentioned in my original post the dealer has confirmed there is something draining the battery.
My main issue was why the battery wouldn’t charge.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Hi, I do very little driving which is part of the problem also during lockdown we aren’t supposed to be out unless necessary but as I mentioned in my original post the dealer has confirmed there is something draining the battery.
My main issue was why the battery wouldn’t charge.
you need a solar battery charger leave on dash board and will top battery up, cars use around 0.5amp when locked it runs the alarm system so a 2amp solar panel is cheap way around it below link

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
I was looking into that and trying to decide if it would work and which.... so thanks for that.
leave it on dash inside car then cant get stolen and also keeps it out of rain etc, would still get car checked for discharge drain,, ie amp meter on pos side of battery then wait 3 minutes for bcm to go sleep at that point should be no more than 0.3volt being drawn,, if a lot higher then you have something pulling to many amps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts