MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Mini Cooper, manual transmission
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m in the process of taking out the transmission and went to remove the battery tray. However, the 10mm bolts just spin, and for some odd reason all 3 of them spin. I tried to use some vise grip pliers to pull while turning but there wasn’t enough room to get a grip. I also tried applying pressure from underneath using a pry bar but no difference.

Does anyone know what holds them in? Why would all 3 have issues? Do I need to drill the bolts out?

·
Registered
2012 Mini Clubman One 1.6L petrol
59 Posts
I’m in the process of taking out the transmission and went to remove the battery tray. However, the 10mm bolts just spin, and for some odd reason all 3 of them spin. I tried to use some vise grip pliers to pull while turning but there wasn’t enough room to get a grip. I also tried applying pressure from underneath using a pry bar but no difference.

Does anyone know what holds them in? Why would all 3 have issues? Do I need to drill the bolts out?
take an angle grinder to them and replace latter . its a lot easier than drilling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
take an angle grinder to them and replace latter . its a lot easier than drilling.
Thanks for the thought. Though I’d almost certainly destroy the battery tray attempting an angle grinder on those bolts :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As an update, I drilled out the bolts.

I’m going to have to figure out some way to attach the battery tray in a way that minimises the potential for this to happen again.

As I’ve been disassembling things I sometimes wonder what BMW was thinking… I’ve had to drill out 5 bolts total and several of the front panel screws ruined the pieces they were held into when I took them out. Seems like BMW isn’t aware of the existence of rust :) Some of the choices they made seem really silly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts