MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've made my mind up now and I'm going for the GT Tuning engine conversion!!

After having the dents taken out of my MCS, I'm now back in a position to go down the yellow brick tuning road!!

But I'm at a cross roads, do I head towards West Tuning or go for the BBR?? :confused:

I've read the EVO article and watched the Top Gear Video and they both really rate the BBR. I know a few people have gone for the West (Leccy Blue and GRSMotorsport) and they rate it to! However as far as I'm aware there has never been a side by side comparison on these two, has there??

The other factor is cost, there is £500 difference between the West and BBR! I wonder if BBR would match the price?? seems a bit cheeky to ask! :D

Anyway if anyone reads this and has got an opinion then let me know

Cheese!! :)

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
See if you can try them both, I've yet to try the West Tuning car so I can't comment on that, but the BBR 220 (and the 240) are very good conversions. I've not heard a bad word about either company I can think of! (Not that that helps your decide!).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Henry does this mean you are selling your car then??? What other mods have you done apart from the BBR conversion?

Looks like I'm going to have to jump on my motorbike and go and test both these cars. Do either company provide test drives?? I seem to remember someone saying West dosn't?

·
Nurburgring Survivor
100 Posts
Give the BBR guys a ring for a test drive. They said I could just turn up but give them a ring to make sure they have the car you want to test. I believe they have a 2005 220BHP and a pre 2005 240BHP car.
I still haven't got round to going (as its just round the corner for me) but I've heard so much good about BBR that I'm definitely getting the conversion done to my brand new MCS when it arrives in December.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As you said in your previous post, I have had the 210/215bhp West Tuning conversion and am a very happy bunny, incase you haven't read my review, see here:http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthre...d=0&page=3&pp=15&highlight=west+tuning+review

I would recommend if you get the chance to go and test drive both conversions, I know that West Tuning have a 255bhp demo MCS and I'm sure BBR have a demo too. This should help to make your mind up. I didn't do this but don't regret the West conversion for a second.

I know we don't live too far away from each other, I would be happy to take you out in my car one weekend if you like so you can see the car in action.

As you said the West Conversion is cheaper, for an extra few hundred quid you could add a cam and see around 225bhp for around the same money as the BBR conversion. If you added a full exhaust system you would probably see around 235-240bhp :eek:

I have read very good things about the BBR conversion too and like with the West Tuning conversion haven't heard a bad word said about it.

Which ever one you choose, I'm sure you will love it. I reckon they would perform very similar too, they both have the same torque figures but the West Tuning conversion has 5bhp less (certainly not enough to notice a difference I would think).

Let me know about that test drive.

Cheers, LB.

·
Registered
514 Posts
BBR all the way

Hi,

I have a BBR 220, fantastic conversion. I have done a review, do a search on BBR with Perm as the user id.

The other thing to check is what fuel the conversions require.

The BBR will work happily on normal 95 RON fuel. Not sure if the West Tuning conversion needs 97 RON ?

With fuel prices as high as they are this could make a big difference in overall cost
of ownership.

Cheers

Perm

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leccy Blue I'll send you a PM

Of the two my personal preference is the BBR, however it is £500 more than the West. As Leccy Blue has pointed out I could spend that money on having a new West camshaft put in?? :confused: :confused:

·
Yatta!!
8,313 Posts
supercoopers said:
BBR all the way baby :D

As the final clincher, just ponder this fact. Some of the best and most respected MINI2'ers have the BBR conversion (Mr Mullet, Julz, Bonnie Scotland etc). Remember, these individuals like myself have been out and tested alot of conversion between us and we ended up with the same conclusion.
:p

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Henry, I initially enjoyed your write up about the BBR, but in further reading I think your comparison has been unfair. You've obviously done a lot more work to your car than just the base 220bhp conversion, custom exhaust, larger intercooler etc etc. I bet your car is a real rocket, but I have to ask, if the BBR conversion was as good as you described in your first post, are you even driving the 'same' car anymore? I'm sure if you had a West conversion and then did these mods too you'd find just as much fun to be had there?

Your car sounds like a right scream - but it doesn't sound like the car the first poster would recieve - do you think they might be a little dissapointed if they have a BBR conversion and expect the same results as in your first thread posting? Just trying to ensure theres an even playing surface here between the two companies.

Spillers, you'll probably find many of these 210-220 bhp conversions extremly similar in performance and quaility - I would say, if your serious about it, take a test drive. However, Ray West only seems to have a 250bhp demonstrator (but check this with him first). It is a stonking drive.

One thjings for sure - if you want to make a difference on the road, you should aim for 210bhp. if however you want to compete on track, and be able seriously out haul the likes of Type Rs and clios on track, then you want 220bhp+ ... 250 would be better!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Leccy Blue (being the top bloke that he is) is going to take me for a drive in his West. I'm off Monday and I'm going to BBR to have a look round. I can then make my mind up.

Henry, Thanks for the offer but you just a tad too far away from my Essex pad. I'd love to look at your car and have a chat though because it sounds awesome. With regard to Tony's question, you obviously know your stuff about cars and have done a fair bit to yours but how was the car when you first had it done? The further improvments you have made is that because you take it onto the track then??

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
We should all have a 200+bhp meet and greet, take a look at the cars and do some 'private road' tests.... :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
We should all have a 200+bhp meet and greet, take a look at the cars and do some 'private road' tests.... :D
I'd be up for this ;) , I've seen Henry's cars in the flesh, lovely car it is too, plus he's done his home work regarding which conversion to have. However I'm really happy with my conversion, there were alot of issue that Ray West had to sort out. I've had my car just over a year now and can now say its a joy to drive :D :D

So Ray West gets my vote ;) ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I reckon a get together would be great :D
Where would everybody like to meet up?, personally it would be better for me to meet some were south of London, but I'll be happy as long as it isn't too far away.

Over the Christmas period would be good.

So lets make a date and discuss venues ;)

·
MINI 2 OLD BOY
648 Posts
Damn!

I would be up for that as have been away from mini2 for a long time now , only thing is , i live many light years away , im taking a look at Ray West stuff next week ;) i will also be purchasing a larger radiator from GRS Motorsport as i am very pleased with my Larger intercooler , it really does make a HUGE diff with temps , so if you dont have one , i suggest you get one now , and no im not on commision lol

Paul

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A 200+BHP meet would be really good, but not easy to organise! Reading looks in the middle for the people that have posted on this thread so far, just an idea??

Henry thanks for replying, I'm going down to BBR on Monday to see them. They have emailed me today and I they are doing a £100 discount on the Phase One conversion for Christmas. Leccy Blue is also taking me for a drive in his West so I can get a better opinion. I'll let you know how I get on!

GRSMotorsport I'm still very interested in your intercooler, probably be giving you a ring shortly.

Who needs money when you own a mini!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
spillers said:
A 200+BHP meet would be really good, but not easy to organise! Reading looks in the middle for the people that have posted on this thread so far, just an idea??

GRSMotorsport I'm still very interested in your intercooler, probably be giving you a ring shortly.

Who needs money when you own a mini!!!
Reading sounds good, anybody else have any other ideas on a venue?

Like Henry said it'll be great to meet up and put face's to screen names, we're all a friendly bunch, could be a great day out ;)

spillers, look forward to your phone call to discuss your requirements, GRS is by his phone 7 days a week!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
West or BBR and now JCW

It's been really useful to hear all this BBR banter.

I know the thread started as BBR vs West; however, my Oct 03 MCS is booked in for the JCW 210 upgrade next Friday but, having read all your comments, I am having major second thoughts. :confused:

If BBR are offering a further 100 quid Christmas discount then it is very hard to honestly justify 3.7K for the JCW even if it does include the Works exhaust (as well as the obvious warranty benefits). Does anybody have any new thoughts on the latest options? I've been through all the recent threads but can't find anything on BBR 220 Phase One vs the new JCW 210.

Additionally, can someone please tell me whether the BBR cam option for 285 GBP is worth adding to the BBR Phase One?

Cheers all

Fraz

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
kabulcooper said:
It's been really useful to hear all this BBR banter.

I know the thread started as BBR vs West; however, my Oct 03 MCS is booked in for the JCW 210 upgrade next Friday but, having read all your comments, I am having major second thoughts. :confused:

If BBR are offering a further 100 quid Christmas discount then it is very hard to honestly justify 3.7K for the JCW even if it does include the Works exhaust (as well as the obvious warranty benefits). Does anybody have any new thoughts on the latest options? I've been through all the recent threads but can't find anything on BBR 220 Phase One vs the new JCW 210.

Additionally, can someone please tell me whether the BBR cam option for 285 GBP is worth adding to the BBR Phase One?

Cheers all

Fraz

hi Fraz....

As one of the earlier Works S conversions (a year now) I was at first more than a little dissapointed with the 200bhp conversion for the money, as I have expressed before. However, since getting the additional upgrade, I am now much happier with the car. I think its the conversion it always should have been. Performance seems much more worth the money now.

Haven't driven the BBR, and I know the Works is still very expensive for what you get, but your car will always carry the premium forward of being a Works, so take that into account too. I've asked a few dealershipd now, they seem to be asking at least £2500 extra for a Works second hand over a similar spec non Works S, but they still have problems getting them in second hand as so few people are parting with them. I think now this extra power and driveability is available on the car, its going to get even more popular.

Just read this months CAR magzine before you discount the Works on price.

Tony

·
Cornish Boy
164 Posts
spillers said:
. They have emailed me today and I they are doing a £100 discount on the Phase One conversion for Christmas. QUOTE]

While you are there, mention the group-buy that was organised by Leccy_Blue a couple of months ago which gave a good discount from the normal price of West conversions. See if BBR will do a discount for say 5 conversions booked at the same time - worth a try.... There seems to be at least 5 interested parties on here at the moment.

Even though I have the MTH mod at the moment, will probably go with BBR in the new year.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts