MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have just been to my BMW dealership - where I bought my MOC from, to get some light deflectors

Apparently there are some especially for the Mini Convertible but they have completely sold out and won't be getting any for a coupele of weeks.

We are driving over to France on Friday for 2 weeks so can't wait for them to come into the dealers.

Does anyone know where I can get them from?

I know that you can get universal ones but would prefer to get the proper ones.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatfully received.

Liz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah light deflectors for travelling on the opposite side of the road ie When driving in France which drive on the opposite side of the road to UK roads.

Mini's for UK driving have their lights pointing in a particular direction so as not to be beaming in the eyes of oncoming traffic - but when you travel abroad the lights will be beaming in the eyes of the traffic on the opposite side of the road because of the way the lights have been fitted so you buy something which sticks over the light to direct the light in the correct direction.

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about Halfords but I suppose they will only be the universal ones and they can be a bit fiddly I think.

I will go down there tomorrow and see what they have - I doubt they will have the proper Mini Conv ones though

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
It's only the French! They wont mind ;)

Is it really a problem unless you'll be driving through the night? I can't say I've ever really thought about this when going to France, I've always been more worried about getting my green card from the insurance company. :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Yeah we will be travelling in the late evening and it will be dark earlier there because they are an hour a head.

A couple of years ago my Mum and I were driving in France and she had forgotten to get the deflectors and she had no end of people flashing her (flashing their lights at her!!). The lorry drivers are especially funny about it.

Also, where we are going is in the countryside so will be using small windy roads and will definately be driving in the dark on these roads and I think it is more dangerous on those kinds of roads without deflectors.

Anyway, I'm going to Halfords today and I will let you know if I get any.

Liz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello all,

Just been to Halfords and have got the light deflectors - quite amazing really.

The type I have bought are the universal ones which suit most cars and guess what? Mini is one of the cars illustrated on the front! You can only see the headlight but I am pretty sure that it's a Mini.

Very pleased indeed that I have now got the beam benders which I need for Friday.

So, whilst the dealers may have run out of beam benders, Halfords is definitely the place to go.

·
MCSC addict
40 Posts
xenons usually have the manual adjustment possibility, does this also work with the Mini fitted ones?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
re: Xenons, not entirely sure, but there is no longer a beam deflector listed for Xenons on MINI as from the facelift, so I'd imagine there must be a switch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, what does dealer change mean.

I only have an MOC does anyone know where the switch is to change it. There is a switch which changes the height of the light for example if you are carrying a heavy load.

I don't have xenon lights so can I assume that I won't have a switch?

Doesn't matter now anyway really as I have the light deflectors.

Thanks

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
Xenons can't be diverted by "beam benders". Many xenons eg my VW Golf Mark IV and Citroen MPV can't be adapted for continental driving. BMW and Mercedes put switches which electronically change the orientation for continental. The old mini xenons could not do this (I believe) but the new ones have a switch inside the lamp mechanism. The high voltages inside this mechanism preclude customer change so they should be done by the dealer (at a cost)

·
Look Ma I'm flying!!
184 Posts
liz_huss said:
Hi,
I don't have xenon lights so can I assume that I won't have a switch?
Yep, your right, the switch is associated with Xenon lights, std lights just need the beam benders.

Cheers, Peter

·
Sotherner up north
1,221 Posts
rentagas said:
Xenons can't be diverted by "beam benders". Many xenons eg my VW Golf Mark IV and Citroen MPV can't be adapted for continental driving. BMW and Mercedes put switches which electronically change the orientation for continental. The old mini xenons could not do this (I believe) but the new ones have a switch inside the lamp mechanism. The high voltages inside this mechanism preclude customer change so they should be done by the dealer (at a cost)
Anyone know what to do with the old xenons for driving on the continent then?
I've got some beam benders/masks, but I take it that they will not work?

Mark :indi:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
Adzy81
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing