MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question, how long should it take for new pads and disks to really bed in?

I was told 50 miles from the place that fitted them, its now been over 200 miles and they don't feel right, infact upon inspecting them one side seems to have settled in, but the other side doesn't look to have even wear across the disk:confused:

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
You can bed in within 1 hour or 200 miles. there are two ways.

accelerate to 60mph and brake hard untill almost stopped then lift off and roll, leave for a couple of mins and do it again untill done for 6 times, never hold you brakes when they are hot.

The other way is to take it gental and not hold on the brakes this should be done within 200 miles or less.

May be worth taking the pads off and ensure they are sitting correctly. sometimes they can look bedded in when thay are not and vice versa

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
It depends on how you're using them ;)

Took a good 4-500 miles to bed in my new rears, fronts were instant as they'd already done 1000 miles on Snowies LHD GP ;)

If you don't see an even coating of pad material on the discs within 500 miles, there is something wrong.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't know for sure but I would say 50-100 miles sounds about right. Obviously it depends on where and what kind of driving you are doing but that's about how long it took mine to feel fine. I don't know if the type of brake pads and discs makes a difference (mine are Spiroslot from GTT) but I think Green Stuff pads have some kind of abrasive coating to help them wear in quicker. Is the car pulling to the side that the wear seems even under braking?

I suppose you can't take any risks with brakes so maybe you should get them checked out just in case.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on how you're using them ;)

Took a good 4-500 miles to bed in my new rears, fronts were instant as they'd already done 1000 miles on Snowies LHD GP ;)

If you don't see an even coating of pad material on the discs within 500 miles, there is something wrong.
I'm using them as much as I can, but its scary at the moment.

Don't like pressing the pedal to the floor and still moving:eek:

Done the slam them on thing and thats even more scary:eek:

·
Registered
544 Posts
My JCW calipers + JCW grooved and drilled discs + JCW pads took about 300-400 miles before the felt right ...they felt a little soft but the pedal never went to the floor... :aargh:

Reactions: Rakey

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i had jcw brakes put on last week and you could feel they were better after about half an hour, there definately wasn't any scary moments...sounds like somethings wrong

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had them checked and there is nothing wrong, its just they haven't fully bedded in apparently.

So had a very spirited drive home, and few odd stamps on the brakes to speed the process up as r1_kde suggested, and they are feeling a bit better already. Just probably that the compound on the new pads if also a bit harder due to the upgrade;)

Think part of the problem is he difference between the R53 and the R56 brakes:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts