MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a strange topic this one but I wanted to see if I'm the only one or are there other people like me out there?:confused:

I drive pretty fast, but confidently and I am always aware about my suroundings. Losts of people say that with my driving I should slow down more but I never cause any danger to myself or others. I will overtake where its safe to and I always indicate and leave plenty of room...etc.

But when I travel with my girlfriend I get extremely irritated and I am probably the worst passenger in the world. Shes extremely cautious, drives slowly, indicates when overtaking to move back into the left lane and thinks her car is as wide as a lorry!!:hmph:

Is this just me or do other people go through this?? LOL

After breaking my collar bone I am a passenger for 2 weeks...this will test our relationship!!!!:p

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Strange how people are always happy to admit they are rubbish at golf, can't cook, have 50p feet when it comes to kicking a ball, yet as soon as they're behind what is effectively a killing machine, they become the best in the world :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm on your girlfriend's side on this one - and if she's telling you to slow down, she's obviously not happy sitting beside you. You don't get any marks for driving like a d!ck and ending upside down in a ditch :rolleyes:

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
Strange how people are always happy to admit they are rubbish at golf, can't cook, have 50p feet when it comes to kicking a ball, yet as soon as they're behind what is effectively a killing machine, they become the best in the world :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm on your girlfriend's side on this one - and if she's telling you to slow down, she's obviously not happy sitting beside you. You don't get any marks for driving like a d!ck and ending upside down in a ditch :rolleyes:
No marks, but I do believe you can win a Darwin Award in certain circumstances :p

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Bit of a strange topic this one but I wanted to see if I'm the only one or are there other people like me out there?:confused:

I drive pretty fast, but confidently and I am always aware about my suroundings. Losts of people say that with my driving I should slow down more but I never cause any danger to myself or others. I will overtake where its safe to and I always indicate and leave plenty of room...etc.

But when I travel with my girlfriend I get extremely irritated and I am probably the worst passenger in the world. Shes extremely cautious, drives slowly, indicates when overtaking to move back into the left lane and thinks her car is as wide as a lorry!!:hmph:

Is this just me or do other people go through this?? LOL

After breaking my collar bone I am a passenger for 2 weeks...this will test our relationship!!!!:p
I'm exactly the same, even though I drive "fast" in her book, I make quick progress when safe to do so. Theres a difference between driving fast under control and driving fast and many fail to see it, you only have to look at someones driving accident record to see where they are going wrong be it fast or slow.

My missus doesn't grasp what I'm saying either, driving in a spirited fashion but keeping to defensive driving guidelines does work!! My problem as a passenger is that if someone does something stupid and it angers her I tell her she should have taken account for it... but she sees it as me sticking up for the idiot thats just cut her up. Shes been driving less than a year and doesn't seem to understand that after 7 years of people doing stupid things you tend to accept it will happen and if you don't see it coming your not driving defensively enough, and therefore just as bad!

Don't get me started on mechanical sympathy either, that poor car!! (not mine)

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
I fell pretty much the same way as you Jon. My girlfriends driving makes me very tense at times. Mostly just the times when were moving, or stopped. Mostly because she doesnt take into account all the other idiots on the road which will watch her come along, then doing something insanly stupid like pull out in front of her at the last moment.

After 14 years driving I might be a bit jaded, and I just come ot expect people will do that, so I am already prepaired for it when it happens. I preffer to drive smoothly and not use my brakes unless I have to.

She doesnt complain about my driving though. Neither does my mum or dad, and they are terrible passengers themselves.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good comments guys!

I realise my first post does come across as I think im the best driver in the world, which isn't the case. But its because im confident which is what my girl friend really lacks.

I have threatened to send her on a rally course!!!! HAHA

·
Totally Insane!
7,800 Posts
I am a terrible passenger in some people's cars as I always feel that they leave braking until the last minute so I can always rapidly see the car in front boot looming towards us! Plus there seems to be a lack of concentration and awareness of other road users and conditions. But in others cars I feel fine and perfectly safe as I feel that they are planning ahead.

I am sure that I have had people comment on my driving, although nothing that I can remember at this precise moment. I would like to think that people felt safe in the car with me and I hope that I do read the road in front of me.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts

Sorry sweetie, but I'm on the thread starters side a little bit, I just don't think he has worded it in the best way;)

You know I like a spirited drive within the limits, I'm safe and confident with my driving technique. But put me in the passenger seat and there are certain people that really scare the crap out of me:eek:

Its probably nothing wrong with them or their driving, its just the way I am, having been a passenger in an accident a couple of times as a kid, and just fearing that again. So if someone isn't confident behind the wheel or observant enough of whats going on around them then I can be physically sick from nerves and also car sickness too if the car isn't handled correctly.

So most of the time I have to sit in the front to see whats going on, or have had a drink to be a passenger as otherwise I'd rather drive myself and tend to most of the time too.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry sweetie, but I'm on the thread starters side a little bit, I just don't think he has worded it in the best way;)

You know I like a spirited drive within the limits, I'm safe and confident with my driving technique. But put me in the passenger seat and there are certain people that really scare the crap out of me:eek:

Its probably nothing wrong with them or their driving, its just the way I am, having been a passenger in an accident a couple of times as a kid, and just fearing that again. So if someone isn't confident behind the wheel or observant enough of whats going on around them then I can be physically sick from nerves and also car sickness too if the car isn't handled correctly.

So most of the time I have to sit in the front to see whats going on, or have had a drink to be a passenger as otherwise I'd rather drive myself and tend to most of the time too.
Exactly!!!!!

Thanks for understanding, I was starting to regret starting this topic!!!!:wink:

·
**** You Mr Darling
281 Posts
I think there are a lot of people with similar situations, for example mine is that i enjoy a quick driving style while being alert and very aware of other road users and i only adopt this in my own car (mcs) where i know the limits and what its capable of as i have had it on many a track day, the brakes the steering the suspension as we all know are designed and set up for this,

but what gets me is my girlfriend drives a 1.2 stock corsa sxi and drives it like its a bloody F1 car and with no re-guard for other road users, she throws it through the smallest gaps giving other road users no time to react safely

i've brought it up time and time again and she just makes a joke of it I AM NOT A HAPPY PASSANGER!!

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Exactly!!!!!

Thanks for understanding, I was starting to regret starting this topic!!!!:wink:
You've got me worrying now what if I couldn't drive, as I can stand being a passenger for so long, as I am lucky as my other half is a very good confident driver so doesn't give me the fear, but then there are times that I get a bit edgy:eek:

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts

Exactly!!!!!

Fair enough, sorry if I came across as jumping down your throat, I just think there is a fine line between driving within the limits and driving like a moron, and unfortunately it doesn't take too much to cross the line.

There's one MINI driver in particular that I've been behind on a good number of occasions, and every time I am, I'm waiting for an accident to happen, as he insists on taking blind corners on narrow roads on the racing line, and he's been lucky on more than one occasion with oncoming cars. Just think that kind of driving is unnecessary.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts

i'm similar to you here, having been in a couple of nasty accidents as a teenager - neither of which i was driving in & one particularly where people were very, very lucky to walk away unhurt. it shook me so much i didn't drive a car for a couple of years & used to get terrified as a passenger. It was only by getting behind the wheel again - & i had to do this almost like starting from scratch - did i regain any confidence, but even now i much prefer to be in control. i'm fine with someone driving fast if its clear they know what they are doing but nervy drivers scare the hell out of me. even following one can get me irrationally angry at times.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmmm this one sounds familiar although i am from your girlfriends perspective, well kind of!!

My boyfriend has an M3 and doesn't hold back! When he first got it i was, not scared but certainly apprehensive of his driving - like you he drives er, enthusiastically shall we say! But i have never known him to do anything beyond his capability, he is enthusiastic but competent with it, and importantly not overly confident! He knows his limits and sticks to them, which is why i have complete trust in him and know that i am totally safe in the car with him.

Me on the other hand probably scare him half to death! I drive a polo at the moment, sometimes like my gran, sometimes slightly more enthusiastically, again not beyond my limits but i know that they are a d*mn sight lower than his! However, i'm sure that i will induce all kinds of panic in him when i get the Cooper S!

I think taking her on a rally day is a great idea cooper, but would she think so!?! My better half and i are thinking about taking our cars on a track day, i can get some instruction on how to drive something with a little more power than a polo and learn how to use the cooper properly, and in the right environment!

From what you say about your girlfriends driving though, she doesn't sound like a bad driver, just not very confident! Maybe she would benefit from a track day, or an advanced drivers course??

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm this one sounds familiar although i am from your girlfriends perspective, well kind of!!

My boyfriend has an M3 and doesn't hold back! When he first got it i was, not scared but certainly apprehensive of his driving - like you he drives er, enthusiastically shall we say! But i have never known him to do anything beyond his capability, he is enthusiastic but competent with it, and importantly not overly confident! He knows his limits and sticks to them, which is why i have complete trust in him and know that i am totally safe in the car with him.

Me on the other hand probably scare him half to death! I drive a polo at the moment, sometimes like my gran, sometimes slightly more enthusiastically, again not beyond my limits but i know that they are a d*mn sight lower than his! However, i'm sure that i will induce all kinds of panic in him when i get the Cooper S!

I think taking her on a rally day is a great idea cooper, but would she think so!?! My better half and i are thinking about taking our cars on a track day, i can get some instruction on how to drive something with a little more power than a polo and learn how to use the cooper properly, and in the right environment!

From what you say about your girlfriends driving though, she doesn't sound like a bad driver, just not very confident! Maybe she would benefit from a track day, or an advanced drivers course??
Thanks for your comments loopyanna!

Yeah I think some sort of course to show her that she can have fun in a car without being dangerous would be really good. Something that I will have to look into!! Only problem is that it might make her over confident and go from one extreme to another!!! HAHAHA:biggrin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for your comments loopyanna!

Yeah I think some sort of course to show her that she can have fun in a car without being dangerous would be really good. Something that I will have to look into!! Only problem is that it might make her over confident and go from one extreme to another!!! HAHAHA:biggrin:
I just want to be confident enough to use the S to it's full potential, i took a JCW on a test drive and didn't think it was that quick... the dealer couldn't understand why until we figured out that i wasn't pushing the accelerator all the way down :rolleyes:

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just want to be confident enough to use the S to it's full potential, i took a JCW on a test drive and didn't think it was that quick... the dealer couldn't understand why until we figured out that i wasn't pushing the accelerator all the way down :rolleyes:
HAHAHA!!!

Yeah those high heels get in the way dont they???:p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts