MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not changing to non-runflats so that is not the debate in the thread thanks.

Which is the best handling 17" Runflat tyre brand/model?

Pirelli Euforia
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 DSST
Dunlop SP01 DSST

....the only others I could find in threads that some people go for are the Kumho

Opinions please - no RF bashing thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you just looking at those tyres, if not here are some other options,

Goodyear Eagle RS-A
Michelin Primacy HP ZP
Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR
Vredestein Quatrac 3

I can only comment on Pirelli Euforia and my advice is stay clear. They are ok in the dry but a damp or wet road and oh dear... understeer :rolleyes:

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
The Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT is also available in 205/45-17.

Looking at where some of the tires mentioned in this thread rank on Tire Rack Surveys:

Max Performance Summer
#20 - Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT
#23 - Dunlop SP Sport 9000 DSST
N/R - Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR

Ultra High Performance Summer
#40 - Pirelli [email protected]
#43 - Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST
N/R - Kumho ECSTA SPT XRP (non-runflat version ranked at #8)

·
Registered
74 Posts
ive got bridgestones all round and they seem pretty good, but there the only tire ive used since ive had the car so i cant compare

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Ignore any tyre available for more than a couple of years as the latest designs are said by the muttering rotters to be much improved. Most, maybe all, of the JCW demos seem to be on the Conti 3 SSR so it should be a good tyre. Make sure you are seated when they tell you a price though :eek: .

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
US Pricing (Tire Rack)

Kumho ECSTA SPT XRP are the cheapest at $149 each. Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR are $187. All others are above $200.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm glad MINIAC said about Bridgestone's, I was sure they made runflats in the right size, but I can't find a UK website selling them :confused:

Most, maybe all, of the JCW demos seem to be on the Conti 3 SSR so it should be a good tyre. Make sure you are seated when they tell you a price though :eek: .
Yes Blackcircles are £131 each for Conti 3 SSR :eek: $187 if only :( that's about £108.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Best runflat !!! - id say least worst are latest Dunlops

Getting new Factory Works tomorrow so ill see whats on the wheels and let you know what i think of them

·
Registered
241 Posts
That is a good price but you have to get them fitted, which means it will probably work out around the same price as Blackcircles, give or take a few pounds. Oh and with Blackcircles use the code RANDS17 for 5% off :smile:

Kwik-Fit sells em if it's any help, and they do offers for buying 2 and 4.
Just looked at the website. Bridgestone RE050 run flat £110 each / £93.50 when you buy two / £82.50 when you buy four. Great deal if you don't mind kwik-fit.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Based on experience to date, SP-01 Dunlops.

Grippy, and good ride quality.

Euforia's (as in the lack of) have no wet grip to speak of.

The 'same' tyre is very different between the UK and US in terms of grip, suggesting significantly different compounds are being used. Given climate differences, not much of a surprise (in the last 12 months, I've encountered airtemps between 49C and -35C in the continental US. We just don't have that kind of thing in the UK).

·
www.tiovicente*****
130 Posts
I've got the Continental SSRs on my JCW and I'm very impressed considering they're RFTs and if I hadn't sold the tyres/wheels I'd probably stick them on in preference of normal tyres if it wasn't for the price differential.

Very good, not too stiff with good turn in.

:red:

·
Firefly
164 Posts
Out of the original RF's offered in the first post the Dunlop SP 9000 are the best ones.

Euphoria's are twitchy verging on suicidal in the wet.

I don't personally think the new continentals are really any good.

Im probably not the first person to say this, or the last to think it but RF's are terrible. Waste of money and no advantage over a normal tyre.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Out of the original RF's offered in the first post the Dunlop SP 9000 are the best ones.

Euphoria's are twitchy verging on suicidal in the wet.

I don't personally think the new continentals are really any good.

Im probably not the first person to say this, or the last to think it but RF's are terrible. Waste of money and no advantage over a normal tyre.

RF's are a terrible waste of money.!!.......until you have a puncture when it's dark and wet and in the countryside :D

I have Dunlop SP's on my 07 MCS and find them very good in dry/wet conditions especially compared to my previous Civic Type-R which had Bridgestones. Changed these for Michelin Pilot Exaltos which were a big improvement ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unless I can get the RF significantly cheaper than the prices above I think I am going to go for Yoko Parada Spec 2 (used to have them on my Civic Type R) and get a spare/weld/compressor. Not happy with any of the survey results for runflats!!!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
kwik fit do some bridgestone run flat 17 inch if you buy 4 there just over 80 pounds each

Had Bridgestone on my previous Civic Type-R.........was not impressed caused tram lining and poor grip in the wet. Changed to Michelin Pilot Exalto's which were much better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts