MINI Cooper Forum banner

When do you throw it out?

• The day after the Best Before date.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I'll give it 2 or 3 days and if I haven't eaten it, it's gone.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Up to a week.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I never throw anything away and have a cast iron stomach.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by a conversation last week, how long after the Best Before date would you still eat something? Me myself throw away anything that's even just a day over. I ate something once that was gone past its best by a day or so and had food poisoning for 2 weeks and I never want to go through that again :( :(

I do suppose it depends on the kind of food though, I mean coffee and sugar is OK, but pre-packed chicken or ham is right out!

·
Havin' fun...
4,931 Posts
I think you were a bit unlucky there Hicks.

Now I'm no doc, but I reckon you'd have caught FP anyway, irrespective of the indicated date.

We only throw away stuff that has been carefully scrutinised and considered past it's best.

Remember that a sell by date is for the benefit of the store, not the purchaser.

·
Damned
4,517 Posts
I`ve tried canned soup several years after BB Date with no ill effects & it still looked & tasted OK. :eek:
Isn`t canned food supposed to stay edible for decades due to its airless packaging or is this just a Myth ??
;)

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harpo said:
Now I'm no doc, but I reckon you'd have caught FP anyway, irrespective of the indicated date.
It was something called Poloni which is a bit like Pate so you may well be correct. My dad also had it and suffered with me :(

Harpo said:
Remember that a sell by date is for the benefit of the store, not the purchaser.
Yes, I know, 'best before' is quite different to 'sell by' and the two terms are often seen together on fresh milk, or fresh sausages for example, where the best before is usually 2 days after the sell by date.

·
Lord of The Four Rings
11,003 Posts
I've gone a week over in many cases. The last one was only last week when I made a yoghurt drink using 'one week over' yoghurt. :rolleyes: :D

I believe you still have a few days past the best before date unless what you're eating has been opened.

·
off out....
19,946 Posts
Hickster said:
I think you'll be OK with the mints - it's all synthetic so there's nothing in them to go off. ;)

it's just a bit weird that they make me sneeze a lot tho (and i mean until my eyes water and i think i've put chilli up my nose?), very very strange but i persist in eating them?

·
Bringing Love to MINI2
19,214 Posts
villa mini said:
it's just a bit weird that they make me sneeze a lot tho (and i mean until my eyes water and i think i've put chilli up my nose?), very very strange but i persist in eating them?
What a nut nut. Maybe you are allergic to them? :p

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I remember seeing a thing that explained the difference between "best before" and "use by" dates on products. Basically, "Use by" is for health reasons, and probably wise to follow, "best before" means just that, after that date you can still probably eat it and live, but may well taste so bad you woulnd't want to anyway.

;)

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Depends on the food. Orange Juice Id leave over a week easy. But meats and stuff. Definately on the day.

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
villa mini said:
eeeewwww orange juice - a week! It goes all fizzy and funny! :eek:
Daily Juice is ok - (dont know if you have that over there), its starts getting bitter after about a week though :p

I got a yukky batch the other day... completely off when we bought it. Still supposed to be a week off the use by... :(

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Milk can be good for up to a week after it's BB date, just have a good sniff first, the best way to check ;)

Meats (esp chicken) will have to undergo scrutiny first, but again the smell test is often a winner.

Most other stuff I'll eat, regardless of the date. If it looks and tastes ok, then it gets eaten.

It all leads to a healthy immune system, it's like when you drop a sandwich on the floor, brush the dust off and continue eating.

Remember... you've got to eat a bucket of sh*t before you die ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
19 Participants
Hickster
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing