MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

Mini Cooper on order, and considering upgrading spec to include HK.
I'm going for a demo tomorrow and wanted some recommendations from HK owners on CD's that show off HK to full potential.

I was imagining that music that is quiet-loud-quiet (e.g Pixies, Breeders, Snow Patrol) might be good ... or anything that has string arrangements (Verve's 'Bittersweet Symphony' perhaps?). I tried the new Ash album in a boost system and it sounded slightly 'dulled'. And whenever I've changed my home sound sysytems, I've always brought along The Cure's 'Disintegration' album, because the sound is so BIG!

What should I take if I'm going to give the HK a proper work-out?

·
Mini2 Regular
43 Posts
Iron Maiden rocks in Festival and Spatial.

This is an admission and a half: I have become a Christina Aguilera fan since I heard the album 'Stripped' over my HK.

Track 20 (Keep On Singin' My Song) in particular, on the HK setting. It doesn't test the bass too much, but gives a good a clear, precise, Aural experience.( I think thats the word?)

Track 16 (Dirrty(which is quite apt for a mini!)) tests Bass. I've got to admit that the system can show limitations with this track in particular.

Just take a stack of your fave music, and beast the thing. Then try it on a basic radio if possible...thats a painful experience!

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
you should take what you normally listen to - its how they sound that matters. why would it matter if stuff you never listen to anyway doesn't sound right, plus if its not farmiliar to you, how do you know if its sounds right or not.

The Music would be a good choice though :D

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
This is all bull**it in my opinion. Take along your own favourite music. You won't be listening to anyone elses music, you'll be listening to your own taste, so make sure that your happy with the sound that your choice makes.

My own personal choice at this time would be 'Blink 182 by Blink182'. But what relevance is that to you?

How you listen to music in a car is very much a personal choice, severly effected by mood.

Better idea than getting the HK is to get a good Digital Audio (DAB) aftermarket system. CD quality music off the radio - you can't beat it.

·
MINI2 lurker
613 Posts
Personally I would just take some of the music that you would normally listen to / are listening to at the moment.

To me there isnt much point in taking music in that you know sounds good to make a decision on.

You dont want to have to think to yourself everytime you step in the car "does this music sound good on hk, or should I get another cd".

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Hat said:
you should take what you normally listen to - its how they sound that matters. why would it matter if stuff you never listen to anyway doesn't sound right, plus if its not farmiliar to you, how do you know if its sounds right or not.

The Music would be a good choice though :D

my thoughts exactly, you beat me to it...

·
Mini2 Regular
43 Posts
Talk about Hyper-Critical !!

Of course everyone is welcome to his/her own opinion, and who's to contest that - BUT, I was in NO way suggesting he should go out and purchase the music I recommended. Do you honestly think NIRLIN's going to go out and buy what I listen to just to demo the HK system??:rolleyes:

NIRLIN was merely asking for inspiration(IMO), so as to not waste his time at the dearlership. If he happens to have the same CD's in his collection that we suggest, then maybe he'd take them with him!

Personally, I think you should all go out and buy 'Stripped', because I like it, and I think it sounds good on my radio!

·
Wax on, Wax off
98 Posts
Dire Striats - on every street (album) - (Don't laugh) has some of the best music recording/editting quality as it was used as the launch title for Phillips Digital Audio Cassette (rember that big flop) - a rival to Sony's mini-disc.

Madona - Ray of light (album)- has some tracks with very high dynamic range and covering all frequencies.

Prodigy - Breath (single) - some of the deepest bass you can find

Leftfield - Leftisum (album) - get 5+minutes itnot he silence at the end of the last album track and there is a synthesised heart beat with soem of hte deepest bass ever (I have blown bass cones with it so be careful)

Portishead - Tribute to Monk and Claia (single) - VERY bassy with cool jazz/funk rift over the top. - really tests how wellt he system can do fine detail in mid-range and treble while pumping out really low freq. bass at high volume.

If you want to be a real geek get a sound meter and a test CD ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Calm Down ! Calm Down !

My original question was not bullshit.

I listen to an enormous variety of music. It's therefore important to evaluate how the HK system performs when dealing with a range of styles.

How do strings sound?
How warm is the bass?
And how powerful (does it make your skull rattle)?
How expansive can some music sound?
Can you 'feel' percussion?
How crisp are vocals?

I'm demoing the system so it's good to have a range of tracks in mind that really get the best out of it, so I can evaluate how HK deals with different acoustics.

Personally I thought the Boost was fine with gritty rock tracks, but lacked subtlety and definition on acoustic tracks ... and the bass was always a little muffled/repressed.

·
MINI2 lurker
613 Posts
Right, Some proper suggestions.

Faithless - Donny X (great intro, foghorns, running water, some bass etc).
The Prodigy - Breathe (great bass).
Darude - Sandstorm (Song that was blasting out from my newly installed stereo when I walked into newministuff).
William Orbit - Barbers adagio for strings (classical version will work too).
Rob D - Clubbed to death (again a classical'esque track).
Christina Aguilera - Fighter (mini_moto is right, good album this is just a random track I picked as bass is covered elsewhere).
Moby - Novio (Piano Start, chilled throughout with a little choir).
dmx - Lets get it on (lots of subtle range in here).

Thats enough for now, Im sure I have missed some sound qualities that you will regard higher than some listed.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Interesting choice of music coming out here......

I have to say I have HK, and to be honest am a little disappointed with it :(

I think it is too bassy, no real top end and has no real power when you want it (ie loud :D )

My own preference if I was shopping now, would be to look at aftermarket, but then again I am now far more in the know.........

Just my 2penneth :D :p

·
Mullet
91 Posts
Hmmmm...

wibbly said:
Interesting choice of music coming out here......

I have to say I have HK, and to be honest am a little disappointed with it :(

I think it is too bassy, no real top end and has no real power when you want it (ie loud :D )

My own preference if I was shopping now, would be to look at aftermarket, but then again I am now far more in the know.........

Just my 2penneth :D :p
H/K is strange.. I have it and LOVE it.. but Like Nrlin i have a faily diverse tase in music..

Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon comes through well - but lacks volume badly.. I read somewhere here that H/K controls output so you dont pop things... maybe is a mixing thing ????

Foo Fighters never mix well IMO - no matter what stereo they are played on..

Stone Temple Pilots sound good - give Interstate Love Song a run.

At the moment my favorite is Talking Heads - Take me tothe river... just a nice balance and comes through loud enough to shake the mirrors !

·
Diesel Powered
290 Posts
NIRLN said:
What should I take if I'm going to give the HK a proper work-out?
If you just want to play it loud, take anything loud, dance, rock etc. If you want to hear a clear sound, take pretty much any CD! If you want to hear accuracy then you've got to ask yourself how do you know it's accurate? Have you ever sat next to Richard Ashcroft when he's been singing? To test systems I usually take a good quality live classical recording, at the moment it's New Year's Concert 2004 on Deutsche Grammophon, Riccardo Muti conducting the Vienna Philharmonic, that's because I know what a live orchestra sounds like. Lots of pop music is mastered to be played on cheapo midi systems, classical and jazz recordings don't usually suffer from this. I've got a couple of jazz CDs on the Linn label and one on the Naim label, quality is unbelievable, shame that most of the music I like is recorded quite badly in comparison. There are loads of discussions like this, the best CD to show off my system, on home hi-fi audiophile forums, see http://naim-audio.infopop.net/1/OpenTopic?a=frm&s=67019385&f=38019385 to find fanatics with CD players that cost more than a Cooper S..... :eek:

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
foo fighters ' theres nothing left to loose' - best produced rock album for highs/lows and bass

the prodigy - either fat of the land or the new album, for the bass and beats

the music - welcome to the north, for the sheer fact that its a top quality album.

try all of these, and you cant fail.

take along a classical cd aswell, like the proms, to test the various instrument sounds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.