MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question really, sorry if it'd been asked a thousand times before.........

My newly purchased 51plate Cooper has a rather rusty looking exhaust and rattles a bit at around 2500 rpm, all of which makes me feel it won't last too long.

Can anyone give me an average price of a kwik-fit type standard replacement and also advise on the best aftermarket system that
  • Isn't too expensive
  • Sounds nice but not too loud or boomy
  • Has best posibility to enhance performance

Looking forward to your thoughts. Cheers

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Miltek is a nice exhaust, bit more noisy than what you have now, but a good buy;)

But if your insurance company don't accept mods then you'll need to stick to OEM parts, and in which case your best option is to try and find a used exhaust on eBay or in the classifieds. Or if that fails you could get the JCW exhaust for not much more than the price of the standard exhaust from Derek Woodmans:)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
We have recently fitted a number of the PlayMini systems, they also have the option of a silenced center pipe.

Price wise they are not expensive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We have recently fitted a number of the PlayMini systems, they also have the option of a silenced center pipe.

Price wise they are not expensive.
Interesting!

Do you know what it sounds like with the silenced centre pipe?
When I come round to replacing the exhaust on the ONE, I want something that is not too loud, just a nice tone. Probably no louder than the OEM one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting!

Do you know what it sounds like with the silenced centre pipe?
When I come round to replacing the exhaust on the ONE, I want something that is not too loud, just a nice tone. Probably no louder than the OEM one.
Hi, I just got a Playmini with link pipe silencer fitted today, looks lurvley! Most of the noise seems to come from the back box, you can't hear it at lower revs which is good, means you can control the rasp so to speak.

If you don't want it to be any louder than your standard then don't bother. I was quoted £170 for a mild steel replica by my local garage or £410 for OEM by Mini. I went for the Playmini, at £260 it seemed a good deal and should last for years.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, I just got a Playmini with link pipe silencer fitted today, looks lurvley! Most of the noise seems to come from the back box, you can't hear it at lower revs which is good, means you can control the rasp so to speak.

If you don't want it to be any louder than your standard then don't bother. I was quoted £170 for a mild steel replica by my local garage or £410 for OEM by Mini. I went for the Playmini, at £260 it seemed a good deal and should last for years.
Any pics of it? Or even better, a vid with sound?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hiya, here's a piccy. Can't get the vid to upload for some reason :(
Doesn't sound too disimilar to the one on Playmini site though, a little quiter maybe.
Playmini site
I see you're from the North East, if you're ever round Sunderland way just let me know.

Attachments

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Miltek is a nice exhaust, bit more noisy than what you have now, but a good buy;)
Yep, I got the Milltek on a MINI2 group buy - it's a fabulous exhaust. As Rakey said, it's a little bit louder than stock, so if you're coming home late at night, just be gentle with the throttle in your neighbourhood. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
No, It sounds a lot better now it been on for few months
Thought so.
It's a bit too loud & raspy for my liking. Not to say it doesn't sound good, but the wife won't approve! (Well, it is her car after all!!) :hmph:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ive got the silenced pipe and TT tail pipe and it sounds nothing like that youtube clip. Rather than being raspy it is a much deeper subtle tone and everyone comments on it sounding nice!
Highly recommend!
Thanks for that.
Any chance of a vid/sound clip?

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
ThinkMINI, one of the site sponsers has been suppluying playminis with fitting at great prices recently. Give them a call if your still looking

·
Registered
95 Posts
My wife didn't even notice it's growl. To be honest the strange noise coming from my air con lately is much louder lol
:D
The wife hasn't noticed the nosie from the JCW air box yet, so I may have a chance of adding a more fruity sounding exhaust !!:wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts