MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys,

Got a 2014 Mini Countryman yesterday.

I had an argument with my wife as she probably knows more about cars than me.
She told me those cars were garbage which I totally disagree... I think!?

I want to maintain the sucker to the best of my abilities.
I understand the engine oil used should be a Castor 5w-40 Full synthetic?

But I want to be sure if this is the same engine oil you guys use?

Car data:
Countryman
R60 LCI (according to my online research)
90000 kms.
No turbo etc. Simple 1.6 L4 engine.

Any information or extra tips given are highly appreciated!!!

Best regards from Canada!

Felipe.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Boy, ask 10 people for the best oil to use and you'll get 11 different opinions.

Personally I use Pennzoil Euro L as Canadian Tire has it, often on sale.
euro L
Really any oil that is BMW LL-01/LL-04 compliant is probably OK.

Mini's are certainly not Toyota reliable, so she has a point, but the key to reliability on these cars is proper maintenance. Never change your oil, overheat it, etc., and it will die an abrupt death.

Its not uncommon for these cars to use some oil, so check it often.

At 90,000km you need to think about a timing chain. Keep an ear out for the "death rattle", a noise from the passenger side of the engine, worse on cold start, but note being in Canada if you start these things cold when it's -10c it's going to be pretty noisy for a bit normally.

Enjoy the mini!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boy, ask 10 people for the best oil to use and you'll get 11 different opinions.

Personally I use Pennzoil Euro L as Canadian Tire has it, often on sale.
euro L
Really any oil that is BMW LL-01/LL-04 compliant is probably OK.

Mini's are certainly not Toyota reliable, so she has a point, but the key to reliability on these cars is proper maintenance. Never change your oil, overheat it, etc., and it will die an abrupt death.

Its not uncommon for these cars to use some oil, so check it often.

At 90,000km you need to think about a timing chain. Keep an ear out for the "death rattle", a noise from the passenger side of the engine, worse on cold start, but note being in Canada if you start these things cold when it's -10c it's going to be pretty noisy for a bit normally.

Enjoy the mini!
Thanks for the feedback.
Is there a video or tutorial to change this timing vhain? Can I do it myself? Obviously the steale4shop will charge me a leg and an arm. I'm in Toronto, do you happen to know anyone if I can't do it to do it right and for a fair price???? Thanks again! I love this Mini btw!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Toronto I'm not sure, if you were in Calgary we could do it.

There are a zillion YouTube videos on it, you will have the N16 engine.

If you are fairly mechanically inclined you can do it yourself. You need a few specialized tool, cam locks, etc.. I've done it.

if you haven't already, maybe join the Toronto Mini Club on Facebook. They may have good advice on reasonable shops in Toronto that could do it.
It's at a good mileage to do it, but if you don't hear a rattle you have a bit of time. I did mine at 160k, but that's pushing it for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toronto I'm not sure, if you were in Calgary we could do it.

There are a zillion YouTube videos on it, you will have the N16 engine.

If you are fairly mechanically inclined you can do it yourself. You need a few specialized tool, cam locks, etc.. I've done it.

if you haven't already, maybe join the Toronto Mini Club on Facebook. They may have good advice on reasonable shops in Toronto that could do it.
It's at a good mileage to do it, but if you don't hear a rattle you have a bit of time. I did mine at 160k, but that's pushing it for sure.
I thought mine was the R60 LCI engine? 2014 Mini Countryman 1.6. Thanks again for your advise!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yep, 2014 would be the LCI (Life Cycle Impulse) version where they refreshed the look.

But the engine is still an N16.
N16 = non turbo
N18 = turbo
'They used it all the way from 2010 until 2016 when the R60 was replaced in 2017 by the F60 Countryman.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, 2014 would be the LCI (Life Cycle Impulse) version where they refreshed the look.

But the engine is still an N16.
N16 = non turbo
N18 = turbo
'They used it all the way from 2010 until 2016 when the R60 was replaced in 2017 by the F60 Countryman.
Thanks a lot for your valuable information. Btw,there is a site called rockauto.com in the states where you buy parts for cars in Canadian dollars for cheap. Where do you buy the filters,oil,air and cabin,and what are the popular brands? Planning buying them in rockauto but if you have a better place please let me know,thanks again, Felipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts