MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I will have to change my original Runflats 195/55R16 to a non runflat tyres urgently. The problem is that with this size there is no alternative in Portugal. Also according with the Portuguese laws I have to mantain the original size or try to get a special license to the new size together with MINI/BMW dealers.
If it is possible I would buy 205/50R16 .
If not Toyo has lauched a new tyre in UK ( still not available in Portugal) with 195/55R16 size - Toyo Proxes T1-R and would be my choice.
By your experience what is the best 205/50R16 tyre for replecement? I will surelly decide between Firestone SZ80, Bridgestone S-03 PP and Dunlop S9000.
My major issue is that I want a tyre with hard sidewalls ( almost like runflats) .
Thanks for all your help.

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
PGMCS said:
Hello All,
I will have to change my original Runflats 195/55R16 to a non runflat tyres urgently. The problem is that with this size there is no alternative in Portugal. Also according with the Portuguese laws I have to mantain the original size or try to get a special license to the new size together with MINI/BMW dealers.
If it is possible I would buy 205/50R16 .
If not Toyo has lauched a new tyre in UK ( still not available in Portugal) with 195/55R16 size - Toyo Proxes T1-R and would be my choice.
By your experience what is the best 205/50R16 tyre for replecement? I will surelly decide between Firestone SZ80, Bridgestone S-03 PP and Dunlop S9000.
My major issue is that I want a tyre with hard sidewalls ( almost like runflats) .
Thanks for all your help.
I'm in the same dilemma, as I'm also running 16" wheels, and the front tyres are almost worn out (at 22.5k miles I hasten to add)

I've done a lot of research using www.mytyres.co.uk . They have a tyre review section which is an easy way of comparing different brands of tyres over "realworld" conditions.

My stance is I want to try to maintain as close to original size as well, so things like the speedo are not thrown out by massively oversize tyres.

You are correct that 205/50 16 is the nearest equivalent that will keep the rolling radius as near to stock without using the original 195/55 size tyres.

From looking at the above site, the Toyo T1-S (the T1-R's predecessor) they get a low rating, with most saying they would never use them again! From what I'm lead to believe, the T1-R is meant to improve on the T1-S's failings, namely very poor life.

Of the ones you've listed, I'm planning to go for the Bridgestones, as they get a good overall write-up, and appear to balance wear vs grip nicely. They are priced keenly too at c£85 each, which in the UK is only £8 more than the supposedly "budget" Toyos. In the reviews, the majority would use them again.....as in the opposite of the Toyos!

Over here there is no requirement to re-licence the car, due to running a non-std tyre size, common-sense usually prevails!

Hope this helps?

Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts