MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all harp on about how good the mini handling is but the question is which roundabout is the best (or worst, whichever way you look at it) in the uk for getting the car a little sideways on.

I'm talking little effort and staying within the confines of the law !!

mine is one in northampton, just after you come off the M1/A43 junction and head into town it's up hill just before the roundabout with tescos on it. Area begins with a F but can't remember what it's called.

anyways because it's uphill, just, if there is a little bit of water on it you just have to give the car a little bit of power and it just loves to slide around.

great for scaring the wife and much enjoyment/scare for me.

** I am not suggesting or condoning dodgy driving """

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
** I am not suggesting or condoning dodgy driving """
That is a contradiction to the main element of your post.

Find a private road or track for tricks like you describe. Most of us like ''private'' fun where there is no danger to other road users or our passengers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all i was trying to say was we are not talking doing stupid speeds or driving at an idiot but just a roundabout that you find it's very easy to lose traction.

i've just noted that on this specific roundabout you dont have to do anything it's just the nature of the physics as you go round that if you are not careful it can catch you out. as i have found many a time.

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
To be honest, when on a public road I don't try to deliberately lose traction.

I find that traction is very useful, particularly at roundabouts where people (in my experience) don't know how to use them and I have to make adjustments to avoid hitting them. Fortunately it is not that often, but it has happened more over the years.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Come off the M25 at Potters Bar, J24, this is a GREAT and safe place to drive around and learn how to four wheel drift a Mini !! It is very wide, very safe and lots of fun!! Just remember that this is a public road so don't be stupid and do this when it is busy out and also remember you can knacker your left front tyre pretty quickly... Its more fun in a rear drive BMW and has also been massive fun in a DB7 Aston with very loud sports exhausts!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Like people have said, how about just driving sensibly!

I lost traction on a roundabout recently (not playing, just driving sensibly), and spun my car off and into a roadsign - the damage is currently being assessed by my insurance, and I have no idea on the damage to the underneath of the car.

Hope it doesn't happen to you when you're playing on public roads...and especially when the public is near you!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
paul/ojm you are absolutely spot on. i think where i was coming from were roundabouts that you have to be careful about but "can be fun" if you are skilled to deal with the issues they can have.

lol obviously you never want to lose traction on a public road and you should always be aware of your surroundings and other drivers. i must admit i have had similiar situations where you hit oil spills or just simply aquaplane ... all can be very very scary but when god is on your side it can be a nice little adrenaline rush.

i suppose it all comes down to the usual saying "everyone thinks they are the best drivers on the road" but in reality you are always learning.

i'm only young (27), i've owned a few performance cars (exclude the mini as it's the wife) and have spent a number of times on tracks and airfields but at the end of the day when the elements catch you out you never know what till happen and therefore you are always learning.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
The only one near me is a really big wide one in Maidenhead, because I hit it at around 6am or earlier theres no one on it at all. The main police station is to the very left of it though, I've had the car very sideways on that... all it takes is full throttle in 1st change into 2nd (so about 35mph tops ) and lift off as your turning in, can do it even in the dry lol. It's a 40 limit and as long as your not being uber stupid theres plenty of space, needless to say I've had no mishaps from the car or the police station on the corner. :D

I love it how some people harp on about how bad it is having a play on public roads, I'm sure all of you bought a car with 160+bhp, a wheel on each corner and rock hard suspension to drive miss daisy! ;) I think it's simply a case of common sense rules apply, I seriously doubt that this guy is going to be doing this when theres a chance he can hit another vehicle or pedestrian in the process, he doesn't sound like your average tesco car park chav from his post!

I think doing this on a few occasions when safe is a simple way to alert your driving senses as to what to do if it happened by accident. :)

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
I love it how some people harp on about how bad it is having a play on public roads, I'm sure all of you bought a car with 160+bhp, a wheel on each corner and rock hard suspension to drive miss daisy! ;)
Who is Miss Daisy? Is she hot? :D

I certainly didn't purchase my 160+bhp car to drive like an old man. But as a rule, I prefer to have the back of the car behind me rather than swing out to the side when there are kerbs, lamp posts and road signs around. A few years ago in a Z3 the back end of the car let go on a roundabout (wasn't speeding, it had been a scorching day, then it had rained heavily and stopped). I managed to avoid hitting anything with full opposite lock, which I did out of instinct - had never done it before. Was fun in hindsight, but I don't try and encourage that situation on a quiet daily commute.

Afterall it cost me a lot to purchase, lots to run, and lots to insure my 160+bhp toy. I don't want to go and break it :eek:;)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
theres a good half roundabout on the A127 near Basildon in Essex it on a dual carriageway and used to be national limit but they reduced it to 40 recently just for the roundabout. it was good because as it was only a half roundabout there was no traffic coming from your right but now they have a speed camera just before it on each side so not as much fun lol

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Who is Miss Daisy? Is she hot? :D

I certainly didn't purchase my 160+bhp car to drive like an old man. But as a rule, I prefer to have the back of the car behind me rather than swing out to the side when there are kerbs, lamp posts and road signs around. A few years ago in a Z3 the back end of the car let go on a roundabout (wasn't speeding, it had been a scorching day, then it had rained heavily and stopped). I managed to avoid hitting anything with full opposite lock, which I did out of instinct - had never done it before. Was fun in hindsight, but I don't try and encourage that situation on a quiet daily commute.

Afterall it cost me a lot to purchase, lots to run, and lots to insure my 160+bhp toy. I don't want to go and break it :eek:;)
If she was hot I'd be driving her too ;) .

It depends, I also use a little lift off over-steer to correct the line and help the nose hug a corner if the front starts to push wide (which is easy done if your force feeding it 230+ bhp!).

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
There are a few good ones in Hemel Hempstead up the dual carriageway towards the M1, dont even have to be going that fast to feel the traction kicking in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts