MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased this 2009 Mini S. Previous original owner used Mobil One Synthetic. Dealership tells me to use only Mini Oil 5W30. Would like to ask what's really best.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
deanship is right 5/30w fully synthetic,, will add its best to change the oil and filter ever 10k max sooner is better on them,, these engines dont do ell on dirty oil for to long , also gearbox oil every 50k is wise stealership say its sealed for life its not can drain them easy and refill them easy,

Reactions: knt

·
Registered
27 Posts
And my friend the tribologist take on the article above:

"The conclusion is 100% correct in its basic statement in that PROVIDED YOU MATCH VISCOSITY AND ADDITIVES- (I guess that’s what they are calling certifications?) they are all virtually identical in terms of service and protection.

Then they lose all credibility but I understand why- they are sampling oil samples ONLY and not matching the oil sample to the actual machine and considering how its used, maintenance record and other factors so their data is “skewed”

In a lab or in a car- oil change frequency is the single most important determining factor in reducing engine wear.

After that comes the loading ( heavy towing, racing, mud bogging, fuel leakage and so forth) This is where synthetics come in- they don’t lubricate BETTER but they lubricate better UNDER EXTREME CONDITIONS ( but if those conditions don’t exist in your driving then you will see a minimal benefit)

THAT’S when those other “things” matter. Also as an engine wears and its clearance opens ( you still have an oil pump at a set pressure and flow) you will benefit from the thicker viscosity for the hydrodynamic wedge.

The name brand is meaningless as far as an indication of quality- whether it carries an ISO, API or SAE rating does matter.

I use Mobil 1 exclusively ( since I cant get ultrachem right now) because it’s a true Grade IV PAO synthetic base stock ( as opposed to a highly refined Grade III mineral) and on the farm it protects better. ( except in diesels, Rotella is still the best formula )

The important thing is to stay away from those additives like slick 50, STP, Lucas and so forth unless you really have a worn out engine you are trying to get the last vestiges of life out of

That’s my take on it."

Joe McKnight MBA, CMRP, SSBB
Reliability Engineer, SME

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Just purchased this 2009 Mini S. Previous original owner used Mobil One Synthetic. Dealership tells me to use only Mini Oil 5W30. Would like to ask what's really best.
No such thing as "Mini Oil 5W30".

You can use any branded fully synthetic oil that meets or exceeds BMW/MINI specifications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts