MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Feel the G's
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think the traction control is far too intrusive?

I was taking a neat gap at a roundabout on my way out of Reading, and Big Brother decided I was going too fast for his liking, so cut all the b1oody power, leaving me staring down the barrel of a very large Range Rover.
Luckily escaped unscathed, phew, but I normally turn the damn thing off, its just that you continually have to do it everytime you start the engine, and I find it even more of a pain in the wet!

Scottybhoy

·
Registered
171 Posts
My car isn't broken in yet, and I've been (mostly) behaving, so it hasn't kick in yet. But after the break in, whenever I plan in doing some spirited driving - or autocrossing, I will be turning it off for sure.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Driving back from the parents tonight, oh I wonder what happens if I turn of ASC+T?

Yello light on the revcounter. 2nd gear. Plant foot.

WHUHOOOO!!!!

It's much better on the broken and uneven roadsurfaces round where I live as otherwise the traction control was kicking in whenever I went over a bump.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I don't find the traction control cuts in too early it's just when it does it cuts too much
power. Also when I had an Audi Coupe (original quattro shape) without any modern
electronics you could modulate the throttle and get the power back on fairly quickly.
Maybe I need to practise but I never feel I know what I'm doing :eek: to get the power
back when this happens in the Mini. Any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Traction control, DSC--I think that it's only kicked in on my S a couple of times, but I've been drving a loaner Cooper today, and it seemed like whenever I hit a curve it cut in with in a vengeance. Difference in the system, or difference in the suspension/power?

At any rate, I think if I ordered a new S I'd leave DSC off the option list...?

·
Registered
691 Posts
BTW--I think there's another forum going on that discusses the "To DSC, or not to DSC, that is the question." The general consensus seemed to be that you should get DSC, at the very least for resale value, or to save your bacon if you're a true Kamikaze.

After flicking my switch on and off, I have to admit that DSC does help when I'm driving sloppy--maybe we should all concentrate on fundamental driving skills and just throw it away.

:red:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I didn't get DSC just ASC+T and I'd probably get it next time.

It's only £200 and you can turn it off.

I left it off cos I hate nannying electronics, and I didn't need it before, so why should I need it now?

But with hindsight... You can turn it off :rolleyes:

·
Making it all better.
93 Posts
justbob said:
BTW--I think there's another forum going on that discusses the "To DSC, or not to DSC, that is the question." The general consensus seemed to be that you should get DSC, at the very least for resale value, or to save your bacon if you're a true Kamikaze.
My problem is, I am a true kamikaze :D

My traction control seems to kick in quite a lot. I have been quite glad of it when taking a bend a bit too fast - it's pretty scary when the DSC kicks in at around 70 mph...

I'm glad I have it, and it can always be switched off. I do miss being able to slide a bit on an empty roundabout like I did with my old Focus, but on balance that's probably a good thing....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Remind me to avoid you on the roads MiniMedic :eek: :D

I sort-of know what you mean, but I'd rather avoid driving at 10/10s than have to have a computer bail me out.

What if it screws up?

·
Making it all better.
93 Posts
MukiMunki said:
What if it screws up?
That's where the problem lies. In previous cars that I have owned (without traction control) I could predict the point at which they would give out, and correct it relatively easily. With the DSC I find it harder to predict what the car is going to do, so I have to rely on the DSC to do the corrections for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.