MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GP0714
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, im planning on putting a car PC under the passenger seat. and a 7" touchscreen VGA monitor in the driver side sun visor, and as a second display run a composite cable from computer to my PIONEER AVH P5900DVD Head Unit (with the sound)

I need to find someone that can help me put the lilliput 7" vga LCD in a spare visor (im not ruining my GP original one.

and i need to know how much space there is under the passenger seat to fit the VoomPC Case(as the case size is: 210(W)x254(L)x56(H)mm) i dont really have many options as to where to put the case.....

Mike from new Mini Stuff - you know i will be paying you to fit this stuff and wire electrics up ;)

All help is greatly appreciated - Ric Glancy

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Might be worth speaking the Lucky Dave from ThinkMini ... He has a company called auto-tech who do this sort of thing, I know he has fitrted screens in the MINI headrests and is doing a bunch of techo stuff with TVS etc etc in the roof of a VW van, perhaps he can offer you a good price.

Reactions: glancy

·
GP0714
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, i will "shout him a holler" lol -

Will keep you all updated.

Is there a big demand for BMW MINI PC's do you think??

And Does anyone know how much space there is under the passenger seat of a Mini Cooper S JCW GP

Thanks

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Nah not really. I know that Bhozar on here was looking at doing it in his Ellie, but for performance and tune tracking reasons....I think he decided to just fit a data logger and SD card that could log and then use it on his home laptop etc. Not really heard of anyone else trying to do it, and I only heard of him because he's a mate and lives just down the road. ThinkMini did all his electrics stuff with loggers etc.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I put my Car PC inside an empty CD changer bracket in the boot.
The space under the passenger seat will take the Sat Nav computer which is DIN size, same as a head unit.

·
GP0714
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Errr - I dont have a boot - so thats not an option - lol

Hope i can get the VoomPc under the seat - Someone Help me

Ric

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
No boot? Is that because you have an ICE install that fills it :shock:

·
GP0714
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, the only ICE i have is a DVD screen Pioneer - auto folds out of a single din

However i dont have back seats, or a boot section, just a Roll Bar (I think thats what it is) or a strut bar or something

I HAVE A MINI COOPER S JOHN COOPER WORKS GP EDITION

therefore no boot section, :(
so underseat is pretty much my only option...

NOT EVEN GOT A GLOVE BOX....

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
The floor pan is still the same in the GP though I think, so there should be space where the boot would have been. The flooring in that area is proabbly a cover and there might be space under it?

I think you need to see if you can find that out as it may offer you an option for locating stuff if there is a space between the floor panel and the floor pan due to the GP still using the same pressings as a normal S.

·
GP0714
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where the boot would have been is a false base (a cover to lift up to reveal battery), underneath that is the battery.
Also, dont want something like a computer case on display hence needs to be hidden....
I dont have sat nav package on the car - thats one of the reason to build this computer...

Ric

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Fair play... definatley worth speaking with Mikey and/or Dave and seeing what they could maybe do with a GP and the options you want. They are usually pretty good with advise too if your doing the job yourself. Is the GP rear load space toally flat on the level that the seats would have been in right to the back door. If so then you can fit something under the floor cover. if not then why not build a false floor/load space bed and carpet it,thus hiding whatever tyou install in the boot...like folks do with thier amps and stuff. Thinkmini have done this on a few MINIs creatying a false floor that looks OEM and has ICE hidden underneath.

Reactions: chris.lamb
1 - 12 of 12 Posts