MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why,oh why,oh why didn't BMW fit a starter button for the MINI. A nice red starter button on the dash would have suited the car sooooooo much. :)
What do you think?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
You can buy push button start kits from Halford for £35. And it has a 'Big Red Button', The kit is made by a company called Richbrook :) :) :)

It would look good, wouldnt it :cool: :cool:

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
A separate starter button would be nice -- perhaps it should be on the center console near the shifter - similar to the floor starter button under the driver's left knee in the original Mini?

However, what I would have liked to see on the MINI is different placement of the ignition key. It ended up on the steering column? Too typical. Instead, like a classic Mini, it should have been placed in the middle of the row of switches. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I asked for a starter button at the dealers, I was missing the choke like I had on my old Mini, I even had my clothes peg ready!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I fitted an extra starter button on my truck when the ignition switch started getting flakey after 25 years. But you have to be careful where you put it so a passenger doesn't press it while the engine is running. Tends to make quite a bit of noise and isn't good for the teeth on the flywheel.:D

As to the key on the steering column, I suspect it is due to the mandated steering lock to deter theft. But any crook with a screwdriver can break it in a matter of seconds. Citroen had the best idea. Park the car and the wheels retracted leaving it sitting on the frame. But they were so ugly, what thief in his right mind would steal one?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
How about a keyless system :confused: :confused: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
I agree, I did half expect a starter button on the "S". Would have been a nice extra differentiating touch.

·
Registered
105 Posts
starter button would be a pretty good idea.
The Z8 has it, turn the key, hit the button, so why not the 'S'?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
R1 said:
Why,oh why,oh why didn't BMW fit a starter button for the MINI. A nice red starter button on the dash would have suited the car sooooooo much. :)
What do you think?
Is this for the poser's or is the Key not up to the job?:D :D :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yeah, it would be awesome if MINI fitted a big red starter button. I could see it blending nicely in the Cooper S........

Love it on my S2000, wish every car had a starter button.........it's cool :D and works very well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice idea - in theory.

I've been looking into this quite a bit - cause I really wanted one. The button looks OK but you have to drill holes in your dash - this is ok in 'average' cars where there ar vast areas of flat black plastic to maul but the mini is so curved it will be hard to find a space to fit it that wont destroy the dash.:( :( :(

I did once see one that fitted into the cigarette lighter with only a little modification - if I could opnly remember where I saw it - I'm gonna get one!!!:D

Mr C

PS Not sure what messing about with starter wires does for the warranty.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You could always replace the speedo with a big dinner plate starter button

Esopecially for our foreign freinds who cant have a speedo in the center!! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts