MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting 220-230 bhp from the MCS in the near future .... would you consider uprated front brakes are necessary at this level ??

I know the safe bet is to just get them, but at and additional £1000 to the tuning costs already, it is another large amount to spend out ...

Any thoughts on the requirement for them :confused:

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
That depends.
Physically your car will weigh the same and at the same speed the braking power will be the same.
If you're happy with them now then you'll be fine.
If you plan to track the car, get the brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Some people say std brakes are ok even on the track,personally I think they are awful.
Having said that braking from 100 requires same amount of brakes whatever power youve got but I know what you mean ! The std set up is unusual in that it has much more rear bias than many cars and indeed than is optimum for fast road /track with only one occupant. By upgrading the front only to big calipers & discs this also has the effect of moving the bias forwards a little(a good thing).My CS uses Porsche 911 twin turbo calipers with 341mm
alloy bell grooved rotors .I have also designed some aluminium discs for use with this kit that have multiple steel inserts interlocking into the rotor. These require much road &trackwork testing plus patenting before release .Criky are they light though!
Finally tyres play a big role in how powerful the brakes need to be ie. poor tyres and the abs cuts in before the brakes do much,conversly grippy slicks and you need fantastic brakes to get abs (or lock a wheel) at say 100mph.
Best Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not 100% happy with the brakes as they are at the moment, so with more power, and me therefore going much quicker more of the time ;) - I can only see them getting more abused, and therefore more vague

I dont plan to track this car, but I do alot of A and B road driving, so will need to look into the brakes by the sounds of things :rolleyes:

The only kit to take my eye at the moment, is the AP Racing kit .... anyone any thoughts on this setup ??

"Cross drilled 304mm x 24mm diameter discs, 4 pot alloy calipers, fast road/race pads, braided hoses, dot5 brake fluid and all fittings and fasteners. "

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you tried a big brake conversion you wouldn't dream of not getting it..

Is that an AP kit or a kit using AP calipers, whenever i speak to AP they don't recommend cross drilled. I certainly wouldn't.

-Rob

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
if u really drive real fast alot, and go on tracks alot, then bbk would be a nice addition

but i personally think mini does a good job at stopping the car.. a good high performance pad (ds2500 would be my recommendation), good fluid (superblue or equalivanent), and maybe stainless lines would go a long way, throw in some slotted thicker rotors and you should save a few bucks while enhancing braking

220-230 hp?? how are you extracting that hp, is that flywheel hp? even so what are you doin to your S... 200 is doable easily, but 230 can cost alot of money

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kyriian said:
220-230 hp?? how are you extracting that hp, is that flywheel hp? even so what are you doin to your S... 200 is doable easily, but 230 can cost alot of money
Thanks for the brake advice ... much appreciated :)

The 220-230 (guesstimate at the moment ;) ) will be ....

Cat back exhaust
Alta Induction
ECU Remap
15 % pulley
Uprated Idler Pulley
Iridium Spark Plugs
Larger Intercooler with improved feeds and cooling diverters

Fairly confident of 220bhp at the flywheel, 230 would be perfect if everything comes together right, but 220 is the ultimate aim :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the brake advice ... much appreciated :)

The 220-230 (guesstimate at the moment ;) ) will be ....

Cat back exhaust
Alta Induction
ECU Remap
15 % pulley
Uprated Idler Pulley
Iridium Spark Plugs
Larger Intercooler with improved feeds and cooling diverters

Fairly confident of 220bhp at the flywheel, 230 would be perfect if everything comes together right, but 220 is the ultimate aim :)
:p

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ya might want to add a manifold to that lot as thats the biggest power gain as far as the exhaust system goes!the cat back makes a tiny bit of differance but is mainly a noise and reduction in back pressure thing.

Itsthe manifold that makes alllll the differance!

Phil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts