MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get me a bike rack for my car, just wondering if any body knows any that will fit without any modification to the car? It needs to hold 2 bikes if possible, and i gotta be able to get it in England. Ive had a look about on the net but not come up with much. Cheers -GF

·
Registered
122 Posts
I read a USA thread about bike racks, but have yet to find much about UK racks. I personally want one for the boot, not on the roof...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked in Halfords today, there was a boot one that would be suitable but the Mini's number plate is quite high so the guy reconed i'd need a plate board and light to keep the car legal grrr

·
Northerner in t'south
365 Posts
I use the Saris Bones after a recommendation from this site. It cost £100 from Halfords and can hold upto 3 bikes.

I probably should use a second number plate as its partly obscured with the bikes on.

Fits really easily. Just make sure you clean the bumper before fitting as it can scratch the paint if the dirt gets rubbed. Obviously I'm speaking from experience.... :(

Would recommend the rack though. I spent ages looking and its the best I could find.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi take a look at my personal profile for pickies of a Thule 589 velo vice bike rack attached to the Mont Blanc carrier. both available in the uk (I had the MB rack shipped here to Canada). Its easy to have a second Thule bike attachment fitted.
ian

·
Registered
506 Posts
maquis73 said:
I use a Halfords high level bike rack - it sits quite high and does not obscure the rear lights or number plate (Even with two bikes on).
Do you use the 'hatch hugger' attachments ive heard mentioned elsewhere, to protect the clips from scratching the paint work? Or is it ok as it is?

Are there any further problems you've encountered with this Halfords high-level rack? I'm thinking about buying one myself!

Cheers,
A.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I used to work at a bike shop in Milton Keynes Called Chaineys, we sold a bike rack that would pretty much fit on most cars, carry 2 or 3 bikes and had nice little rubber clips to sit round the edge to stop paint work being scratched.

there web address is www.chaineys.co.uk which has there contact details on. You can find make, model and so on from these helpful guys i used to work with.

they may or may not do these racks any more but what have you got to lose in a phone call :)

·
Tony & Emma
373 Posts
ALX18S said:
Do you use the 'hatch hugger' attachments ive heard mentioned elsewhere, to protect the clips from scratching the paint work? Or is it ok as it is?

Are there any further problems you've encountered with this Halfords high-level rack? I'm thinking about buying one myself!

Cheers,
A.
I do use the hatch hugger attachments - they look like little plastic dumbells.

The only thing you have to be careful of when using the Halfords rack is making sure the foam pads on the bottom (the ones that rest on the bumper) do not slip. Also if you have a spoiler you should be careful with the straps that go over the top of it - they can rub on the paintwork if not protected- I protected the spoiler with some foam pipe insulation by running the straps through the insulation.

After use you may notice shallow indents into the bumper where the rubber pads have rested. These disappear over a couple of days.

Tony (Maquis73)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Maquis
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing