MINI Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

Registered
Mini Cooper S 2011 (R56 N18). Mini One 2012 (R56 N16).
Learnt on a Suzuki ER50. Had various bikes over the years. Probably favourite was GSXR 750 slingshot.
Nasty accident in the 90's and arrival of kids saw the end of my biking days.

Registered
Ive ridden 100's of sports bikes over the years working in the trade, and yeah they are mental bikes but not my thing. im more for the streetfighter type of bike with wide motoX bars and no fairing 馃槉
I have an s1000r and absolutely love it ,easy to ride fast enough for a 57 year old and makes a lovely sound when the exhaust flap opens .

Registered
I had a Fireblade, a 16inch front one too, great bikes it ran out of puff at 150.
Had a couple of gsxr1000s an early k0 not long after the came out and they were proper fast back in the day but brakes were a bit weak, felt much stronger than the carb R1 that was around then( had one of them too).
If you want wheelies the 04 zx10r was the daddy, 160 bhp and a shorter wheelbase than a zx6.
Only new bike I ever had and it was a mental thing.
my urban tiger blade would knock 187mph really loved bike to be honest it was first blade and i stuck a can on it and was dyno'd ,, yes i had couple of zx10's but found them very strange on the limits never really knew why you were to get every time you pushed hard ,, my theory was maybe the rear shock got to hot or tyres could not hand the power perhaps, but ho yes were silly power,, my mates had R1's and had a few goes on them never got on with the sat on top of it where the other stuff was more like sat in seat just seems lower and matched how rode them, i tried abusa for a couple of months that was sooooo fast but so heavy ,

Registered
And the TL1000s was quite capable of single wheel antics ,had three of those, one of them, the frame cracked around the rotary rear damper which they were prone too ,the nice men at Spondon engineering machined of the cracked mounting ,fabricated a new one and sewed it back on .
mate of mine had a TL1000R bloody strange thing that you had to run it in the bend on throttle and and out the other side as engine braking in lower gears would make back end let go if you were not careful, i never did get on with the big twin engines in a sports bike on the raggy edge to much like wants to high side you if forget and ride it like a 4 cylinder at a corner lol

Registered
I took to the TL quite nicely .one thing though after a couple of hours giving it some the rear damper would overheat and the bloody thing would get all vague and try to spit you off , like a monkey on a greyhound 馃槅

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
mate of mine had a TL1000R bloody strange thing that you had to run it in the bend on throttle and and out the other side as engine braking in lower gears would make back end let go if you were not careful, i never did get on with the big twin engines in a sports bike on the raggy edge to much like wants to high side you if forget and ride it like a 4 cylinder at a corner lol
yeah they called the TL a widow maker :oops:

Registered
I took to the TL quite nicely .one thing though after a couple of hours giving it some the rear damper would overheat and the bloody thing would get all vague and try to spit you off , like a monkey on a greyhound 馃槅
not a nice feeling that, on my gsxr750rr k5 i put different tyres on it than the factory ones same sizes and it totally upset how it turned in when being pushed like a big load of vague under steer that once loaded would turn to over steer, really not a nice feeling when on the edge,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
that rear damper was a strange setup !!!! I did 2 warranty claims on the TLr where the mount for it would crack, changing a frame on them is a 2 day job !!!!!

Registered
that rear damper was a strange setup !!!! I did 2 warranty claims on the TLr where the mount for it would crack, changing a frame on them is a 2 day job !!!!!
It was indeed ,I believe tge tolerance between the damper assembly and tge frame was incorrect and when the fastener was torqued it loaded the mounting incorrectly then it cracked ,I can remember it very clearly it had a creak as you sat on it and the suspension moved . Mine was out if warranty hence tge repair at Spondon. They were ex Rolls Royce lads and i believe some of them are involved with Norton .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It was indeed ,I believe tge tolerance between the damper assembly and tge frame was incorrect and when the fastener was torqued it loaded the mounting incorrectly then it cracked ,I can remember it very clearly it had a creak as you sat on it and the suspension moved . Mine was out if warranty hence tge repair at Spondon. They were ex Rolls Royce lads and i believe some of them are involved with Norton .
yeah correct, when i did the frame swaps I had to use a shim supplied by Suzuki to take up the clearance. what really went against the grain was the 2 frames I did could of been repaired (welded) but Suzuki said I had to cut the headstock of both of them and send them back !!!!! it was a real shame, and Suzuki never asked us to return any other warranty parts ???

Registered
yeah correct, when i did the frame swaps I had to use a shim supplied by Suzuki to take up the clearance. what really went against the grain was the 2 frames I did could of been repaired (welded) but Suzuki said I had to cut the headstock of both of them and send them back !!!!! it was a real shame, and Suzuki never asked us to return any other warranty parts ???
reason they destroyed the old frames was back then Q plate bikes were common where anyone could put a bike together from a box of bits and register it as Q plate same as kit car, and frames would be drilled out on the chassis numbers and rewelded back up and made up number added , I did have one back in the day made from two badly damaged fireblades ,, trouble was there were people out there ringing them and bang them on Q reg,

Reactions: BikerToe

Registered
I had a GPZ 1000rx stolen ,got paid out, few weeks later it appeared at a local bike shop on a Q plate ,I new it was mine as i had made some parts for it obviously making it unique.
back in mid 1990s its was rife with it, I lost a couple bikes over the years , one was chained to garage floor came back from holiday and it was gone, never was found again as far as know, the other one was left in a bike park public place came back after hour and was gone, back then was so easy to steel them steering locks were crap , hit a flat blade screw drive hard enough in lock barrel and and pair of molgrips to rotate the lock would defeat them in minutes, soon learnt to never leave a bike anywhere and even at home better fixing point and silly expensive chains etc,, these days high end cars get stolen really easy with a key scan tool,, autel top end diagnostics tool can access a car ecu via eobd and bypass many cars and make a new programmed key once have a scan of the real key,, the world we live it

Registered
Hi, been a biker sine I was 11 when I learnt to ride around an orchard on a yam TY50. A raft of bikes followed, lots of 350LCs, Zx10 (original one) CBRs both 600 and 900, benelii 125 plus lots of other various commuters and 2 strokes. Stopped riding in 2010 due to various reasons, but recently got back on 2 wheels with a 98 Triumph daytona and a 2001 fireblade. Love them both.

Registered
I decree all bike and car thieves should 馃敟 burn in hell for a thousand years 馃憤
run over by a scramble bike with spiked snow tyres a few times would be a good start then see how they fair before the 1000 years in hell lol,

Registered
I had my FZ750 stolen twice and agree wholeheartedly.
back in the 90s I had a sierra cosworth 5 times that car went walkies and 5 times the police returned it with window and door and lock damage and parts missing or with parts and so began the process of putting it back right again, the 6 time it never went anywhere but the metal strips I put in to seat linked to 6 x 124.000 volt car coils and linked to a switch and two battery's in the boot seemed to stop it the 6th time,, ha ha the little pr...k must of had a right shock lol,

Registered
back in the 90s I had a sierra cosworth 5 times that car went walkies and 5 times the police returned it with window and door and lock damage and parts missing or with parts and so began the process of putting it back right again, the 6 time it never went anywhere but the metal strips I put in to seat linked to 6 x 124.000 volt car coils and linked to a switch and two battery's in the boot seemed to stop it the 6th time,, ha ha the little pr...k must of had a right shock lol,
Quality! Lol.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts