MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi is there any news on increasing the amount of bio fuel from 5% to 20%. I am interested as I can make my own. (I own a Fish and Chip Van).:confused:

·
Registered
267 Posts
The RSPB had a petition going to the government about Bio Fuels in May. I'll try and dig it out later if you're interested - off the top of my head I cant remember the exact details other than they're against

·
Registered
96 Posts
It was probably the proposal in increase the amount of bio fuel in diesel from 5% to 10%. The argument is that the land taken to grow crops for bio fuel and the energy needed to refine it has a net negative environmental impact vs good ol' crude.

This is a separate argument from someone wanting to make use of used chip fat to run their diesel car. Which is apparantly very easily done with a home brew kit and some additives.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It was probably the proposal in increase the amount of bio fuel in diesel from 5% to 10%. The argument is that the land taken to grow crops for bio fuel and the energy needed to refine it has a net negative environmental impact vs good ol' crude.

This is a separate argument from someone wanting to make use of used chip fat to run their diesel car. Which is apparantly very easily done with a home brew kit and some additives.
there are some kit on ebay but they cost alot i think its £1500. i think it said you don't pay duty as long as its for your personal use & i think there was an upper limit you can make, but its quite a lot.

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
If you just drop 50/50 veg oil into your Diesel, then there is a good chance that if anything goes wrong, you won't be covered by warranty. However, if you invest in what it essentially a home processing plant, which turns new or waste vegetable oil into bona fide bio-diesel, you should be fine.

There companies out there that sell refined bio-diesel for around £1.08 per litre.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't you still have to pay duty?

If you have the fat, it should work quite well. I also know that some older engines are a lot less picky and they will take the stuff directly...

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
Don't you still have to pay duty?

If you have the fat, it should work quite well. I also know that some older engines are a lot less picky and they will take the stuff directly...
Only if you use more than 2500 litres in a year - or around 32,000 miles in a Cooper D :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. I invested in a home brew kit with my father in January. We have been running a Land Rover defender, Mondeo TDDI and a mitsubishi delica on 100% Bio-Diesel since. The only problem we have had is cold weather (about -5 deg. c) when my landrover kept cutting out until it had warmed up.

We did a lot of reserch before buying the kit and at the moment you can use 2500ltrs without paying any duty which is more than most people are likley to use in a year. Especially in a Dooper. If you can get hold of waste vegtable oil easily I would recomend going for it.

I don't have a Mini yet, but will be replacing a petrol Fiesta for a Dooper in a couple of months so I can use Bio in that too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts