MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have an 04 mcs with 51k on the clock but i have recently noticed it seems to be drinking coolant like no tomorrow. i filled it upto the mark on Friday and i checked it again today but it was nearly empty. Im guessing this isnt normal can anybody shed any light on this please?

I also topped the oil up last week which is fine but it smells burnt, i asked one of fitters at my work to have a look and he noticed it too.

I would be very gratefull if anyone knows what this could be or can point me in the right direction.
thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
I wreckon you need a new thermostat, It happened to my 55 reg one. I kept having to top the coolent up and somtimes when i turned the engine off the fan stayed on for a while. I had it done under warranty so not sure what it costs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wreckon you need a new thermostat, It happened to my 55 reg one. I kept having to top the coolent up and somtimes when i turned the engine off the fan stayed on for a while. I had it done under warranty so not sure what it costs

That sounds like it could be the probably as the fan on mine is coming on alot my frequent than it did before. Thanks for that Crofty :)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
Also check the coolant tanks for leaks as they are prone to splitting and, when they do finally go, it can be catastrophically expensive if you don't kill the engine straight away! :eek:

Also, make sure it's not a leak on the cylinder head gasket - is there any visible steam in with the exhaust gases?

Tigger.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the respones guys iv had my car looked at and it was the head gasket but luckily i took a warranty out when i bought my car earily this year so it was all covered. So after a week of it being in the garage i picked her up today and its driving a 100% better now, the garage also changed the air filter and spark plugs so im once again a very happy mini owner :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do hope they fixed the cause of the head gasket failing or you are destined to repeat the problem
Yeah they did he said there was a crack (i think thats what he said) where coolant had been leaking into one of the ports. So fingers crossed all should be good now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts