MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course I could call up my MINI service folks :rolleyes: with this question, but I've found you're all so much more helpful. :D

The front right fender's black plastic trim has come loose. I can see that there are a couple of plastic pieces that are broken inside that used to hook into something to keep it all solidly on the fender. Am I correct in assuming I have to buy a new piece and is it easy to get it to hook on? I'm not too clear on how this will work, as in does it slide on and hook in easily?

I don't even know if this is a warranty situation. :confused: I guess I should just pick up the phone, but I always like to check here first so that I don't have any "wool pulled over my eyes", if you know what I mean.

Anyone out there dealt with this? I did a search and didn't find any thing, though I suppose I could have missed an old thread.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gee, thanks for responding tedleist. I feel more optimistic now and will give my MINIofFC a call. :D

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
easily fixed, just a couple of new clips and it will be sorted..warranty job for sure

·
Registered
138 Posts
ontheroadagain said:
Of course I could call up my MINI service folks :rolleyes: with this question, but I've found you're all so much more helpful. :D

The front right fender's black plastic trim has come loose. I can see that there are a couple of plastic pieces that are broken inside that used to hook into something to keep it all solidly on the fender. Am I correct in assuming I have to buy a new piece and is it easy to get it to hook on? I'm not too clear on how this will work, as in does it slide on and hook in easily?

I don't even know if this is a warranty situation. :confused: I guess I should just pick up the phone, but I always like to check here first so that I don't have any "wool pulled over my eyes", if you know what I mean.

Anyone out there dealt with this? I did a search and didn't find any thing, though I suppose I could have missed an old thread.

Thanks! :)
As it happens, the front right wheel arch molding flew off my car after I hitting a bump. Happened so fast that I didn't think that it came from my car:eek:
Reported it to my dealer and they replaced it for free :D
Guess the part must be defective :confused:
Peace ;)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you two, too. ;) That's it, I'll call tomorrow and see what happens.

Appreciate everyone's feedback very much. :cool:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to get back to all of you who kindly responded to my questions here and let you know that if it hadn't been for your input I might have been "snowed":

As I mentioned earlier I had what seemed to be about three clips come loose that were holding on the right, front, black plastic wheel arch. I called and was told I needed an appointment. I declined. Next I called and left a message for Brett D., the designated MINI service fellow - no reponse. Then, not to be thwarted, I called the Parts Department and spoke to a very helpful guy named Jeff (not the head of Parts Jeff, but another person by the same first name) who said he could fit me in and suggested Saturday - much to my surprise and happiness - he also checked that they had the clips and said to come up at 9AM on Saturday the 13th. :D

This morning upon arrival, I am told that "We don't usually do service work on Saturdays" after I have just explained that Jeff told me to come up. This person says "Well, OK, since he told you." and goes to get a Tech person. They go out to look at my car. He comes back in and says that the Tech guys says "Your car must have been hit or you hit something...these clips never break off or come loose." Needless to say I was not pleased. I exclaimed incredulously "WHAT?!:eek: I have never been hit or been in any accident - where are the marks that would show this? I also happen to know that this has happened to other people and their service departments have fixed it on the spot when they just dropped by unannounced." The poor guy repeats his response and says it "can't be covered under warranty" because of what the Tech guy says. I asked him "How much money are we talking about here?" Knowing full well that this is NOT expensive. He then says "Well, since you're that upset about it we'll fix it but I'll have to take it up with Management on Monday." I told him that I, too, would be happy to take it up with Management. He disappears.

By now I am really fuming. This is the kind of behavior that gives MINI a bad name - and this is NOTHING compared to what GMINI and others have had to deal with - it's just plain old bad business.

Parts guy reappears and wants me to sign a statement that says I refuse to pay and that the Tech guy says my car has been hit. I told him I'd only sign it if I could write my own statement on it and do - completely refuting Tech guy's supposition. This poor "messenger" then tells me he has to do this otherwise "they'll take it out of my pay check"? Great policy - and good customer service, eh?:rolleyes:

About 30 minutes or so go by as I sit reading about the hell that's happening in Iraq (making me feel about as insignificant as a gnat with my MINI issues!) and I see my MINI out front. Parts guy appears and says that "Jeff, the Parts Manager" has arrived and says it's all OK - fine. :?: I double checked to see if this was the same Jeff I'd spoken to but it was not. I thanked this "messenger" and was glad that I hadn't "shot" him because it really was not his fault. Whose fault is this sort of thing?

Sorry for my rant - but this is the stuff that makes you NEVER want to deal with MINI service again and this was all about three clips that cost pennies!?

Meanwhile never did hear back from Brett. D.

What are customers supposed to do?

I can't help but wonder if it helped having my MINI2.com and newyorkmini.org stickers on the rear window - or was it just incompetence?

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
I know exactly how you feel

I took my car to the dealers to get a similar plastic trim piece fixed, they guy told me it was a huge job and would require taking the wheel and front brakes off :rolleyes: , total cost 150 stg, I asked him did he have the part in stock and he said yes, How much was it 10stg, I called him back to my car and asked him to watch, I replaced the part myself and then asked to speak to his Manager :mad:

They caught me before regarding warranty issues but I have started to wise up to their money robbing schemes :mad:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jpsmini, I guess it's nice to know one's not alone - or is it? :( I am impressed that you won "your case" with the MINI folks, too. And I see that you're in Ireland so it's not just a typical American Yank's money grubbing scheme is it...it must be something MINI either turns a blind eye to or condones, I guess. Unfortunately, it does leave a bad taste in one's mouth for the company and tends to make me feel more than sad but closer to :mad: .

In the greater scheme of life, of course, it's nothing...but it is not good business.

Here's to keeping all those plastic parts on in the future! :D And, thanks for responding to my post, too. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts