MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some quick feedback on this one from all you Aero Kit/Aero Side Skirt owners. Due to collect car tomorrow with new Aero Side Skirts (pre-painted – Dark Silver from factory) and have been informed there is a slight difference between the colour of the black plastic on the side skirts and the black plastic on the wheel arches. Apparently its like this on all cars fitted with the kit/skirts and is barely noticeable, you really have to look hard to see it.

Anybody else noticed this and is it something I should worry about? I really need my cars to be perfect. (especially when paying top dollar for side skirts)

·
Yatta!!
8,313 Posts
bc_seventy_six said:
Need some quick feedback on this one from all you Aero Kit/Aero Side Skirt owners. Due to collect car tomorrow with new Aero Side Skirts (pre-painted – Dark Silver from factory) and have been informed there is a slight difference between the colour of the black plastic on the side skirts and the black plastic on the wheel arches. Apparently its like this on all cars fitted with the kit/skirts and is barely noticeable, you really have to look hard to see it.

Anybody else noticed this and is it something I should worry about? I really need my cars to be perfect. (especially when paying top dollar for side skirts)
I have DS/B and had the full aerokit fitted a few weeks ago - I can't see any colour difference. :confused:
If I were you I'd look at what's been fitted when you go to collect and decide if you can see something and if it bothers you. Also check the side skirts on both sides (with the door open) to make sure there isn't a gap - it's a common (but preventable) problem with side skirts and some dealers. There have been a few threads on the topic with pics etc of what to look for. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the feedback, sounds like there shouldnt be a difference. I am assuming that the plastic on the side skirts is just that, bare black plastic, no painted finish or different texture?

Dont know what to expect tomorrow when i go to collect, the worst probably :(

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
mine are slightly different. more the texture than anythin else. the aero parts are smoother than the standard parts which i suppose makes them slightly darker or shinier. only really notice it when i'm washin it or up close. no-one else has ever mentioned it.

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
i actually notice more of a difference in the main wheel arch, and the bit that's attached to the back bumper (if that makes sense). As fizzle says, its more of a change of texture than anything else, and sure, when you're whizzing past people, a blind man on a galloping horse wouldnt see it! ;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hey guys.... how much did you all pay for the pre-painted Aero side skirts?

Im visiting London soon, wondering if worthwhile to bring back a set to Australia :) :dark:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes my Aero "Black bits" are smoother texture than the wheelarches. The colour looks the same though, maybe the paint fills in the rough texture a bit.

One thing I have noticed is that the black paint has worn off the inner part of the front wheelarches where dirt and stones have been sprayed up by the wheels going round. You can now see electric blue through!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked the car up with the skirts fitted last Saturday, very happy indeed, they look really good.

The plastics are smoother and a slightly different colour(maybe just shinier?) but its only noticeable to touch or upon v.close inspection.

Will try and post some pics soon.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
The reason its smoother is because the plastic archs are just plane black/grey plastic. On the Aero Kit, unlike the standard bumpers and side skirts, its actualy a paint, some kind of "plastic looking" paint, but still a paint.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Cam you get the side skirts and fir them to the standard bumpers?? How much are they to get fitted and painted??
Why don't you get all the plastic colour coded to the car, I did and it looks superb. It's not that expensive and Dave at ThinkMini has seen mine-dark silver-was impressed and can arrange to have it done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts