MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Todays little mod :D

Not 100% sure I like the look or not but used plastidip so if I don't it's reversible.

Big change next week when new wheels arrive :D

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
Looks well.

We were talking about doing this at a show today or spraying them Dark silver?

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think ds would be an improvement and I'll give it a go if I decide I don't like the black.

·
Registered
619 Posts
How did you prep them and what type of paint did you use?

Just curious as I have a spare set of headlamp rings for doing the same thing so looking for some guidance if you can?

Cheers,

Al of the Aberdeen

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used Plastidip, only prep needed is a clean surface. It;s a liquid plastic in an aerosol sprays on really easily. I did 3 coats all in, took me about 1.5 hours including removing the thr headlights and refitting them.

Nice bit with plastidip is it will peel off leaving the rings like new

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
iirc theres 6 clips, remove the headlight, under the bottom three, they undo easily then slide slightly up to release the top ones.

mine had some sticky pads as well be they'd long given up being sticky.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Looks really good Mark!!

After I saw what you did with your indicator vents I ordered some plastidip on Friday...should be here today!!! How many coats did you do on the indicator grills?

Im wondering of doing the headlight surrounds would look stupid on an Electric Blue????

·
MINI on the brain!!!
1,510 Posts
I like the look of that :D
Nice job!

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks really good Mark!!

After I saw what you did with your indicator vents I ordered some plastidip on Friday...should be here today!!! How many coats did you do on the indicator grills?

Im wondering of doing the headlight surrounds would look stupid on an Electric Blue????
I did 3 coats with about 20mins between each both on the side vents and he headlight rings. Headlight will suffer more with stone chips so may be better with a couple more for safety but I was too impatient to do anymore than 3

·
Registered
619 Posts
Looks really good Mark!!

My car is also Electric Blue - I think it will look the bizz :cool:

·
231bhp on Lohen's dyno
1,741 Posts
Nice one Mark, it looks good:wink:

Had a quick flick around NAM & found some pics for us Blue car owners:biggrin:

Couldn't find Electric Blue with black headlight rings, but you get the idea:D
Looks better than colour coding them though (imo:smile:)

Attachments

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Nice one Mark, it looks good:wink:

Had a quick flick around NAM & found some pics for us Blue car owners:biggrin:

Couldn't find Electric Blue with black headlight rings, but you get the idea:D
Looks better than colour coding them though (imo:smile:)
Nice one mate for finding those pics!!!

Im not sure about giving it ago or not, it will be a bit scary!!! LOL

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
I did 3 coats with about 20mins between each both on the side vents and he headlight rings. Headlight will suffer more with stone chips so may be better with a couple more for safety but I was too impatient to do anymore than 3
Being a novice here, when doing the headlights how did you prevent the washer jets sealing shut with the liquid? Does this stuff run easily when spraying or does it cover nicely...if that makes sense?

I only ordered a junior spray can costing me about £15 with P&P...will this be enough???

1 - 20 of 37 Posts