MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
CHEQUE IT OUT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i have been bad but my car was really dirty and couldnt be bothered washing it.
so i decided to pull into a arc car wash(for the first and last time)
it has runners that pull you through the machine.
when i have got home i have noticed that the railings on the runners have rubbed through the paint on my wheel and left a missive thick black scratch all the way round my front wheel half way up the spokes,
i am running 215/35 zr 18 inch tyres so the rail has come half way up the wheel and it looks crap.

do i have any grounds to go back to the car wash and get him to pay for a refurb,
or will he accept no responsibility for the damage, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated guys

·
CHEQUE IT OUT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didnt see a sign saying that, so might go down and have a polite word,
he was quite a big fella :aargh:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think ARC washes are the best of the bunch, FWIW.

You might have a case for compensation if, like my local, you drive onto the rollers under the guidance of an operative who gave left/right signals so that you could centre the OS front on the roller as this might infer they were taking responsibility for your alignment. Otherwise I doubt it, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i know my local car wash has a big disclaimer outside saying WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO CARS, INJURIES OR DEATH WHILE USING THIS CAR WASH

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,165 Posts
i know my local car wash has a big disclaimer outside saying WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO CARS, INJURIES OR DEATH WHILE USING THIS CAR WASH
To disclaim responsibility for death of injury through negligence is a denial of your statutary rights and is likely to render the notice invalid ;)

Tigger.

PS: Why not make the whole process a lot fairer by stating "This car wash is very likely to damage your car. Do not use it if you have any pride in your car" ?

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
As Tigger says, a business cannot operate outside of the law just because they place a sign on a wall declaring no responsibility. A car wash business does owe a duty of care to its customers to ensure its machinery does not cause harm.

I have seen car washers stating they will not take large alloy wheels / low profile tyres. Revisit the site, if there are clear signs to say that your car is not suitable, and the business has taken reasonable steps to alert you, then sadly you probably don't have a case. If there are not clear signs then there is no reason why you should assume the wash facility would damage your car and it could be a case for a small claims court?

BTW I have no legal training, so just a personal opinion.

Good luck :(:eek::D

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
I'm sorry to say this & dont mean to be rude but this may teach you not to use Car washes (its envitable that it ill damage your car in som way) -as said above if your mini is your pride & joy DONT USE A CAR WASH

I hate the things & they should be banned

Dont you have a hand wash mob near you in the supermarkets or a like

Ok got that off my chest

Go back & double check what is displayed BEFORE YOU do anything - most places so have some form of disclamier

Hope you get it sorted

Good luck

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
I'm sorry to say this & dont mean to be rude but this may teach you not to use Car washes (its envitable that it ill damage your car in som way) -as said above if your mini is your pride & joy DONT USE A CAR WASH

Dont you have a hand wash mob near you in the supermarkets or a like

Ok got that off my chest

Go back & double check what is displayed BEFORE YOU do anything - most places so have some form of disclamier

Hope you get it sorted

Good luck
Car washers are absolutely fine most of the time and are unlikely to cause damage, but they do carry a risk (as does hand washing if you're not careful). The only way to be really sure is to wash the car yourself always using a new sponge.

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
I always do it myself or get my very good friends who own a car wash company do it for me when i am working & not get the chance to do it myself. I would never use a car wash or these supermarket people do mine.

Blimey thats expensive & a bit extreme using a new sponge each time - anyway thought sponges where out & these hand mit things where the new sponges??!! lol

Anyway the above was just my opnion on the matter in question

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
For goodness' sake, don't use a sponge - those things are made to inflict scratches on your car!

Use a lambswool or microfibre noodle mit, and two buckets - one with the shampoo in it, a second one for rinsing the washmitt out after doing each panel of the car.

Frankly I'd steer clear of all the automatic car washes, and any handwashers staffed by eastern Europeans with sponges and dirty chamois leathers.

·
CHEQUE IT OUT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was just being lazy,
i work for a car dealer and usually get the valeter to do it when hes not busy,
but hadnt cleaned it for a while so just went trough it.
never been in one before and dont think i will again,

cheers guys anyway i will visit the site tonight and have a good read.

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
For goodness' sake, don't use a sponge - those things are made to inflict scratches on your car!

Use a lambswool or microfibre noodle mit, and two buckets - one with the shampoo in it, a second one for rinsing the washmitt out after doing each panel of the car.

Frankly I'd steer clear of all the automatic car washes, and any handwashers staffed by eastern Europeans with sponges and dirty chamois leathers.
What he said..
I think you'd have trouble claiming compensation from the carwash as you've left the scene..
Worth a try though..

I never let anyone else clean my car - sometimes it gets pretty dirty but I'd rather that than have the paint damaged by a machine or a frustrated underpaid worker with no respect for my car, bucket of dirty water and a sponge that has been dropped on the ground 10 times today thus far..

That said the high end products are so good and durable these days that as long as you've protected the car properly cleaning it is a breeze - we had a spot of rain yesterday and my car now looks cleaner than before the showers.

Washing your car is good exercise, relaxing and some fresh air too - I'm self-employed and work a lot of hours......still manage to find a few hours once a week or fortnight to give the car a good clean, can't understand how people can't fit it into their schedule :puzzled:

I also live in the city and have to park on the street so I don't buy any of the "it's too difficult to wash my car where I live" excuses - I'd love a heated double garage with a wash bay (and a lift).....wouldn't we all - maybe with house prices going the way they are I might be able to snap up a bargain :biggrin:

Cheers..

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts

there are times though when they're really necessary. we spend most of our winter well below 0 and the heated car washes are the only way to get the salt off the car and the undercarriage. in fact, my dealer recommends regularly using one in winter.

you just can't clear your car by hand in the dead of winter unless you want an icy drive and frostbite. nor can you get the underside by yourself.

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
there are times though when they're really necessary. we spend most of our winter well below 0 and the heated car washes are the only way to get the salt off the car and the undercarriage. in fact, my dealer recommends regularly using one in winter.

you just can't clear your car by hand in the dead of winter unless you want an icy drive and frostbite. nor can you get the underside by yourself.
Not really 100% true, mechanical car washes don't do any sort of effective underbody wash from what I've seen - it's a bit of a quick spray that they somehow justify with an extra price tag.

A Jet-Wash on the other hand will give you a good underbody clean and get the salt of the car - plenty of those about (or buy your own) and used carefully they don't cause damage.

I lived on Long Island NY for a year and had many occasions where I had to shovel snow off the cars and driveway - still managed to wash them by hand though.

A dealer might recommend using a car wash in extreme climates but the fact is that those great big brushes do a brilliant job of grinding the dirt, salt and road grime into your paint - use a car wash, expect paint damage..

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
TBH most car washes have a thing that says vehicles are washed at owners risk...I have never seen one without it for years....I think youre on to a looser, buyt you can try. :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Car washers are absolutely fine most of the time and are unlikely to cause damage, but they do carry a risk (as does hand washing if you're not careful). The only way to be really sure is to wash the car yourself always using a new sponge.
A SPONGE!!!! If people on the detailing forum get wind of that comment they'll have you shot!

·
Registered
241 Posts
A SPONGE!!!! If people on the detailing forum get wind of that comment they'll have you shot!
lol this thread has given me a giggle.

Sorry to hear about the damage westycoopers, I'm not sure if you will get anywhere with it. My advice is first of all not to use one!. However if you do, once the car is washed stop asap and look round for any damage or if you are unhappy with how the car looks.

I've seen the results of bad hand washing and the automatic car wash believe me it's not good, and don't get me started on a waterless car wash :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts