MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
As MINI Madness states on their website:

By changing to a 19% reduction pulley the boost kicks in 750rpm sooner than the 15% pulley, ideal for street driving condition's ONLY! Not recommended for track use or long high revving situation's typically seen on the racetrack! Sustained 6000-7600rpm generates more heat reducing the 19% pullies effectiveness.

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts

I expect people that hammer their cars with a 19% pulley and drive it at high revs are asking for trouble. On the road with that pulley you dont need to drive it so high up the powerband. So should be pretty safe for the normal driver. But show it a track or really hot summer weather then I would hope people would have a new intercooler atleast and maybe an oil cooler for track use.

Just my thoughts anyway.

·
Nut Job
201 Posts
Okay. Given that we are now seeing higher boost set-ups lately (ie, 19%+ pullies and twincharged), who makes a beefy headgasket that can replace the OEM?

Q's:

How has the testing of the twincharged affected the headgaskets?

How many headgasket failures do we have here from higher boost rigs?

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Bisch said:
Okay. Given that we are now seeing higher boost set-ups lately (ie, 19%+ pullies and twincharged), who makes a beefy headgasket that can replace the OEM?

Q's:

How has the testing of the twincharged affected the headgaskets?

How many headgasket failures do we have here from higher boost rigs?
Good question.
This is getting into the realm of O-Ringed head/block and stronger head bolts as well.
I'd like to see the dimensions of the bolts off that engine compared to stock torqued spec. I don't know the engine well but a move to head studs instead of bolts would be a good move, if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
My initial reactions are that the std gasket is Vgood being made of 3 layers of stainless steel. We have found the cars do benefit from a head bolt retorque after the head has settled for a few miles. Any HG failures that may happen are more likely to be down to poor rebuild,or detonation rather than inadeqate std gasket& bolts IMHO
Regards Roland GT Tuning

·
Nut Job
201 Posts
I ask these questions because I plan to twincharge over the winter and don't want a failure. I know first hand of an engine that has severe HG oil leakage with 16lbs of boost. 20lbs+ will certainly raise my concerns.

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Bisch said:
I ask these questions because I plan to twincharge over the winter and don't want a failure. I know first hand of an engine that has severe HG oil leakage with 16lbs of boost. 20lbs+ will certainly raise my concerns.
Uh oh. Don't get me started, Tim! I'm squirreling away the schekels for it too.:)
I

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.