MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You must have heard the phrase "once in a blue moon", well tonight it was.:cool:

It seems that a BLUE MOON only occurs when a full moon happens twice in the same calendar month.

The last one was in November 2001.

You'll find I post lots of useless facts, so please BEAR with me.;)

·
Little Minx
605 Posts
villa mini said:
Will post 2morrow... :D
Please do. I forgot all about it :( What was it like? Is it obviously blue? I've never seen one but I've seen a red moon and that was beautiful but a touch scary too.

·
off out....
19,946 Posts
Pooh said:
Please do. I forgot all about it :( What was it like? Is it obviously blue? I've never seen one but I've seen a red moon and that was beautiful but a touch scary too.

It's not blue, just looks like a normal full moon. It was lovely because the sky was totally clear (when I took the pic) and really still (it was about midnight).

here's the pic, it's rubbish cos i'd just come back from the pub (*hic*), and the red light is from the streetlight & not anything else!

Attachments

·
Little Minx
605 Posts
villa mini said:
It's not blue, just looks like a normal full moon. It was lovely because the sky was totally clear (when I took the pic) and really still (it was about midnight).

here's the pic, it's rubbish cos i'd just come back from the pub (*hic*), and the red light is from the streetlight & not anything else!
Thx for posting pic, anyway. I'm sure it was very beautiful to look at for real, and the beer would have given it a bit more of an edge... :p :)

·
Beginning a new era
12,809 Posts
A blue moon occurs when there are two full moons within the same calendar month, the second one being the blue moon (and as villa mini says it is white) ;)

thank heavens for Google :p

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LorraineH said:
A blue moon occurs when there are two full moons within the same calendar month, the second one being the blue moon (and as villa mini says it is white) ;)

thank heavens for Google :p
Isn't that what the first post says :confused:

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
I always thought the term referred to occasions when the moon really does appear blue due to volcanic dust particles in the atmosphere from some major eruption. As these eruptions don't come along very often and the particles would have to be a specific size, you don't get many of them?? Calling a moon blue just because it's full twice in a calender month doesn't make any sense to me (not that I'm saying you're wrong of course).

·
Beginning a new era
12,809 Posts
Hickster said:
Calling a moon blue just because it's full twice in a calender month doesn't make any sense to me (not that I'm saying you're wrong of course).
When we saw it we all said 'it's not blue!' lol ;)

I've seen it bright orange from the beach at Bamburgh, and it's beautiful :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hickster said:
I always thought the term referred to occasions when the moon really does appear blue due to volcanic dust particles in the atmosphere from some major eruption. As these eruptions don't come along very often and the particles would have to be a specific size, you don't get many of them?? Calling a moon blue just because it's full twice in a calender month doesn't make any sense to me (not that I'm saying you're wrong of course).
It makes sense in that it is a rare occurance, wait till the Harvest Moon in August, Not a Neil Young reference, but its at its closest orbit then I think, so it appears very large in some parts of the country.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Minnie Mouse said:
Blueeee moooon.......

Wasn't that a song???
Great version by Sha Na Na at Woodstock, not Woodstock ;) Oxfordshire England, but the fest in USA where JIMI, and various heroes played their socks off.

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
But how does blue tie in with rarity?

Also, I believe the Harvest Moon is so called simply because when full, it is possible to continue the harvest through the night and generally refers to the full moon in late August/early September and has nothing to do with how near of far away the moon is. The moon's closest approach to earth does not always happen at the same time of year and in anycase unless it's a total eclipse, you could not persieve any change in the moons apparant size, or brightness.

Sorry, I hope that doesn't sound argumentitive, but astronomy is my thing :D

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
9 Participants
Minnie Mouse
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing