MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently bought a MCS, it has the Lohen 210 tuning kit on it with the Bluefin re map. Now I have read on here some things that say the Bluefin is not as good as leaving the standard re map and it can cope with the aditional bits. Now it has a Miltek cat back on and I am jsut about to put a janspeed manifold and decat on. would I be better off getting it re mapped or taking the bluefin mpa off and leaving it as standard map.

Spec:
17% pulley
uprated spark plugs
lohen protector
Air filter (notsure whether to change to induction kit)
reduced supercharger belt
bluefin (lohen map 210)
Miltek Catback
Fitting tomorrow (janspeed manifold and decat)

Any advice/views would be great.

Thanks. Rich :)

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I have never been a huge fan of the Bluefin remap as it is a canned map. however, the one from Lohen is supposed to be tailored a bit more for what they do to the car. Remaps are designed to let the car know what you have changed thus moving the window that the ECU uses to determine things like air fule mixture. Sure, you can load all those bits onto a car with out a remap but you would more than likely lose performance. My advice would be to find someone that can do a more custom remap to pull all the performace out of the bits that you are installing. There are several vendors out there that can help you.

·
MiniTorque*****
1,072 Posts
Bluefin VS Stock map, stock everytime with that spec. I know as I ran that and tested it. The attached graph will tell you everything you need to know. Go back to stock quick sharp before you blow a plug like I did, esp as you haven't got an uprated I/C with that 17%.

Attachments

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Like I said, I have never been a fan of Bluefin... FWIW, I have seen blown plugs in stock cars that have simply switched off stock. What type of plugs blew BigShow?

·
MiniTorque*****
1,072 Posts
The Denso Iridiums, picture attached. The bluefin runs the car too lean IMO which leads to issues like blown plugs, the tip that you see missing in the picture was later found embedded in my cat :aargh:

Attachments

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I will agree on the Bluefin but just about everyone that has run Denso has had the num 2 pop.

I took a quick count over at NAM a while back and it seemed that everyone that was complaining about a popped plug was running Denso. There were a small few with NGK but the overall census was that the Denso plugs just don't fit right.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, so the standard Bluefin is a bit dodgey then!

What about the Lohen remap. Is it worth emailing them and asking if it is better to run without the remap or will they try and say that it is better as they have put in thier own remap.

Am I also correct in thinking that I can plug in the bluefin and it will put it back to complete standard with not a hint of the bluefin or do I need to get it done at BMW MINI?

Thanks for all you help guys, very much appreciated and I am vering to the decision of removing the map!

Rich :biggrin:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will agree on the Bluefin but just about everyone that has run Denso has had the num 2 pop.

I took a quick count over at NAM a while back and it seemed that everyone that was complaining about a popped plug was running Denso. There were a small few with NGK but the overall census was that the Denso plugs just don't fit right.
So should I get colder NGK instead then if people are saying that Denso are not that good.

I have run NGK coolder plug in my 200sx for ages and have never had any problem with them!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which is better though. I have read a few mixed reports on here about the different colder plugs.

BKR7EQUP IS the non irridium tipped plug that has cropped up but also the BKR7EIX-11 is listed and this is an irridium tipped one.

Just a few different opinions thats all, is there much benefit from irridium(BKR7EIX-11 ) or platinum(BKR7EQUP)?

Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
we use the JCW spec NKG's bit more expensive but good as for re-mapping i would never ever put any bluefin on a tuned S as every car is different theres a very good mapper based in cambridge ;) 1320 mini Paul and Chris are very good

·
Registered
460 Posts
Which is better though. I have read a few mixed reports on here about the different colder plugs.

BKR7EQUP IS the non irridium tipped plug that has cropped up but also the BKR7EIX-11 is listed and this is an irridium tipped one.

Just a few different opinions thats all, is there much benefit from irridium(BKR7EIX-11 ) or platinum(BKR7EQUP)?

Thanks
the (BKR7EQUP) is the one we use as its the JCW OEM plug and i tell people to use www.sparkplugs.co.uk just put that into the part finder they are priced each

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'll remove the bluefin then and sell it on ebay or something and at least make a little money on it as it came with the car when I bought it.

Is it an easy job putitng back to standard map? Is it stored on the Bluefin?

Sorry for all the questions I jsut want it running well and not to have any issues crop up in a few thousand miles or something.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I use the BKR7EIX-11 (I wanted to see what the hype was about). To be honest there was not much difference that was noticable.

The original map should be stored on the Bluefin device. If you revert back, you might find yourself running rich... I have had some cars that I upgraded to 15% pulleys that run rich and some that are fine. It just varies from car to car.

Is the car running fine now? I know that Lohen warranties their builds. You might call to ask them if they will still cover your car....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Think I might get it custom mapped. Any idea about what sort of cost that would be?

I love this place, great advice and friendly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts