MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't flame me but just had a quick scan thru' latest issue of EVO mag and apparently BMW Motorsport dept. are working on a MINI Cooper M and they say if the chasis can handle it, it will have around 220bhp:D
not sure if it is supercharged or normally aspirated I guess normal aspiration if it will be a Cooper M.:)

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
There was talk of this earlier but it was dismissed as just rumour. However, I am expecting something to come from the M-tech or Alpina department. I'd expect it to be naturally aspirated too, on throttle bodies like the other M's. However, they may just somehow squeeze a 1.8 in the front and whack a supercharger on there. Being a small car and fwd, I guess it would be new territory for them.

Dom

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Would be nice to see an M-POWER version....... If history serves, the Alpina will be a little over the top, in the styling department, and the M nice and undertsated.

I would guess any or both versions will remain in the dark until the release of the Cooper S.

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Basil said:
Would be nice to see an M-POWER version....... If history serves, the Alpina will be a little over the top, in the styling department, and the M nice and undertsated.

I would guess any or both versions will remain in the dark until the release of the Cooper S.
The Alpina's generally aren't slow either. And the M would just be an animal!

I'm not sure if 220bhp (if that is what it ends up as) would come from a 1.6 as that's quite a high figure. However, a 1.8 might upset the handling.

Anyway, here's to hoping the M or the alpina do actually come out!

Dom

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I can just see it now a standard Cooper with M badges :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
I posted this EVO to the Media forum about a week ago thought I was doing the right thing putting in the right place -:confused:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Racer said:
I posted this EVO to the Media forum about a week ago thought I was doing the right thing putting in the right place -:confused:
Speaking for myself, I don't go in there very often.....plus i'm pretty busy these days trying to put my windscreen back in after replacing the wiper blades......

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.............

:D

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
181 Posts
With the MINI being a seperate brand, I seriously doubt we will ever see an actual M badge on the MINI. What we may get however is something the the M division cooked up and sold with some other moniker. I would think that they would stick with the Joh Cooper Works Edition as the "M" equivilent since it fits with tradition and from what we have heard, will pass U.S. emissions testing.

I hope the Works kit is available when my S gets here!

-Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Alpina a little over the top???

, the Alpina will be a little over the top, in the styling department,
When has an Alpina been a little over the top, and in what context are you reffering to?
You can't count the latest products as they are incredibly understated, and the pic of the Alpina MINI is incorrect, so that can't be used.
The only time they were fairly flamboyant were during the 70's and early 80's with their side graphics, but not any more.
Plus, they'll give any M produced car a serious scare in the performance stakes.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I've heard rumours of an 'M' Cooper for just as long as I've heard rumours of the 'Alpina MINI'.

Neither have come to light.

I have had an 'M' bluntly dismissed by several people inside MINI, as they say why would they use the BMW 'M' brand on a car they are trying to keep apart from BMW.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I seriously doubt there'll be an M Cooper either. There might be a cooper by M but not an M Cooper. I can see them coming up with a new "Performance division" for the Mini Brand. Any sugestions on a letter? Hmmmm BMW has M so Maybe Mini could have I ;) ///AMG is takem , M is taken, S is taken (Audi). Hmmmmmmm How about VFF? Very F'ing Fast!

Mini Cooper VFF :) Or would it be VFF Mini Cooper.

Yeah VFF Mini Cooper!

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Basil said:

Speaking for myself, I don't go in there very often.....plus i'm pretty busy these days trying to put my windscreen back in after replacing the wiper blades......

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.............

:D
Sponsorship decals are driving me mad - windows in windows out windows in .........don't 'spose there is any chance of letting me forget this:D

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Not to mention some people would get "M Cooper" mixed up with "M Coupe". :D

Well, some people would wouldn't they!? :)

Wouldn't they? :(

Ok, I'll just hide under this stone and hope no one notices me. :eek:

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Racer said:

Sponsorship decals are driving me mad - windows in windows out windows in .........don't 'spose there is any chance of letting me forget this:D
WOW

Just read the thread that Racer is referring to (found it after a quick search) - it's here and definitely worth a read just for a laugh :D

Sorry to drag it up again fellas!

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
529 Posts
BMW Motorsport will probably do work on an already built mondel! They will never bring out a Cooper M - there is no sense to it. They would struggle to get much faster than a Cooper S especially when BMW's priority is Safety!

Although it would be cool!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts