MINI Cooper Forum banner

BMW Ipod interface

4K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  lionman 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

does anyone know if this is worth the £125 price tag? Is it any better than the Gateway 100 in function or sound quality?

Thanks if you can help :)

#5 ·
I have the BMW one (I guess, cause I have a MINI manual just like the usual manuals you get with the car) and the sound is great, only downside is that you can't see title/track info and you have to create playlists that can be played through the preset buttons on the stereo.

In hindsight I probably would've gotten the Gateway (I got it before I joined this forum)

#6 ·
Thanks guys. So if the sound quality is just as good then perhaps I should just go for the Gateway 100. Near me I can get it installed for £150 whereas the ipod interface from BMW is £125 + £350 fitting (scum bags!) due to the 2hrs coding required.

Does anyone know if the FM Icelink is any good from Dension? Only that's only £69.99 fitted.

Many thanks!

#14 ·
The 2nd gen MINI needs coding 1st gen doesnt
Between the 2 - sound quality the same, both are using the dock output on the ipod into the cd changer port in the stereo
Functionality: Mini adaptor you can select from 5 playlists using the stereo buttons BUT they must be named Mini1 Mini2 Mini3 etc. Button 6 plays the whole ipod -
Gateway: You can leave the playlists named whatever you want, it will allow you to select from all playlists & also flick through albums & artists. Its a bit hard at first as your stereo wont display titles
An idea:
You could get the gateway, then maybe in the future pick up a 2nd hand Boost from 2005-2006 & then switch on the text on the gateway & your laughing - something you cant do with the mini adaptor
another option with the gateway is you can switch it to ipod made then use the ipod for selecting your music. We can supply it with an active cradle & optional no holes mount for this

#17 ·
I only want a connector that lets me control the ipod via the ipod - not fussed about using the radio. Is the Gateway 100 the way to go Mikey?

Is the Gateway 100 also called the Icelink lite/icelink plus? only that's all i can see in the link.

How easy to fit myself?

Many thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.