MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

does anyone know if this is worth the £125 price tag? Is it any better than the Gateway 100 in function or sound quality?

Thanks if you can help :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The BMW interface is very limited, it makes your iPod look like 6 CD's based on 5 named playlists an all the songs on the iPod, the Gateway has much better functionality.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have the BMW one (I guess, cause I have a MINI manual just like the usual manuals you get with the car) and the sound is great, only downside is that you can't see title/track info and you have to create playlists that can be played through the preset buttons on the stereo.

In hindsight I probably would've gotten the Gateway (I got it before I joined this forum)

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. So if the sound quality is just as good then perhaps I should just go for the Gateway 100. Near me I can get it installed for £150 whereas the ipod interface from BMW is £125 + £350 fitting (scum bags!) due to the 2hrs coding required.

Does anyone know if the FM Icelink is any good from Dension? Only that's only £69.99 fitted.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sound quality from any FM transmitter type device will be vastly inferior to a hard wired solution.

The 1st Gen Mini does not need codeing at all when installing the iPod interface.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had to pay nearly £300 all in for mine to be installed - I got it done at a local garage (not MINI but they do MINIs) who is a mate, and it took them 2 hours, drilling etc.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
The factory ipod adaptor or gateway take 30 mins to fit max assuming you have the kit that connects at the stereo.
We charge £25+ vat to fit one of our gateways

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2003 52 reg MCS (no steering control over radio) CD Boost.

Are you saying that a BMW ipod interface requires no coding?? Only BMW told me over the phone that it needs 2 hrs worth!

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is the icelink plus the same thing as the gateway 100? And you say I can fit this myself?

What price do you charge for the kit Mikey?

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
The 2nd gen MINI needs coding 1st gen doesnt
Between the 2 - sound quality the same, both are using the dock output on the ipod into the cd changer port in the stereo
Functionality: Mini adaptor you can select from 5 playlists using the stereo buttons BUT they must be named Mini1 Mini2 Mini3 etc. Button 6 plays the whole ipod -
Gateway: You can leave the playlists named whatever you want, it will allow you to select from all playlists & also flick through albums & artists. Its a bit hard at first as your stereo wont display titles
An idea:
You could get the gateway, then maybe in the future pick up a 2nd hand Boost from 2005-2006 & then switch on the text on the gateway & your laughing - something you cant do with the mini adaptor
another option with the gateway is you can switch it to ipod made then use the ipod for selecting your music. We can supply it with an active cradle & optional no holes mount for this

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd like a no holes mount actually- somthing i can removed easily.
So with the BMW part, I cant use the ipod to control it?

How much is your icelink plus/gateway 100 mikey??

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only want a connector that lets me control the ipod via the ipod - not fussed about using the radio. Is the Gateway 100 the way to go Mikey?

Is the Gateway 100 also called the Icelink lite/icelink plus? only that's all i can see in the link.

How easy to fit myself?

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
If you not fussed about control from the radio then an icelink lite would do - although we used up all of dension UK & Hungary stock modifying them for our ipod active for the r56.
We do have some alternatives though - what ipod do you have?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts