MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My MINI was in the dealers yesterday to have another rear wiper arm fitted (replacement still not clearing top of window). My dealer asked me to pick the car up the following day as they had some checks to carry out on my car?
When I picked the car up this afternoon, the rear window wiper arm had been replaced (now clears all the window in a proper ark). The mini disk player had been replaced with a new one (didn't think mine was one of the "power drain" models?). The plastic roof guttering holding clips had been replaced for new stronger ones (the guttering now fits perfectly where there were slight gaps before). Fuel tank senders had been replaced, fuel gauge now reads full. Seat bases had been sorted, although mine didn't creak!
I know some of us earlier MINI owners (mines an October built car) have had small problems, but it does seem BMW are trying to sort them out. ;)
Only thing left is the occasional rattle from the valves on cold start-up to be sorted. BMW letting my dealer know next week.
No news on the left drift (if it is a problem) from BMW yet, but they definitely are doing some sort of enquiry.

PS. The only down side of picking my car up from the dealer was a new, unregistered, silver/black MINI parked by mine with the 17" wheels!! They do look nice, wish they were around when I ordered mine, I did ask!!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That sounds good R1. The problems shouldn't have arisen in the first place but I would rather have them sorted before they appeared, if you know what i mean. Who is your dealer? My dealer told me that a team at the plant in Oxford ask for a weekly fax from all dealers of every problem they have dealt with and then this gets checked on the production line. So, in theory the cars coming off the line should be getting much better and the quality control should be improving. It is an extremely good looking car though.:D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
R1 said:
The plastic roof guttering holding clips had been replaced for new stronger ones (the guttering now fits perfectly where there were slight gaps before)....
I know some of us earlier MINI owners (mines an October built car) have had small problems, but it does seem BMW are trying to sort them out. ;)
Sounds like you have a better dealer than I do R1..:0( I've had the same list of niggles as you and it takes either months of patient waiting or the occasional 'hissy fit' to get any action out of them..:(

For example, my roof trim and wheel arch trims have been a little 'delicate' for a while and I pretty much had to tell them to replace them (or else) and even then it's taken several weeks for the parts to come in..their dedicated MINI service guy even suggested that I stop taking my car through the car wash to stop them ripping the trim off the car..:(

I've had some seat bases on order for over three months now and still no word (apart from excuses from the service team that it's a 'design enhancement' delay and that the new seat bases are very much in demand..:( )...

I could go on (and on, and on) but rather than ranting on here I suspect BMW are going to get a very long and detailed letter this weekend..:(

Sorry if this bursts your bubble, but not all dealers are as considerate as yours - and I don't think BMW had much control over their efficiency...

*end of drunken, back from the pub and feeling sorry for himself rant*..;)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
R1's Mini goes in search of getting fixed..

Success BMW fix it!!;)

It’s a Mini Adventure:rolleyes:

LMB:)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
R1 and MINI go to Elan Valley (Wales) in search of over flowing dam.
Finds one ... the end!
It's a MINI adventure.

Took my Cooper on a 223 mile blast on my favourite biking roads in Wales today to celebrate getting MINI fixed. God that cars good!!:D :D :D
No rattles, didn't notice the drift and corners like it's on rails!! ;)
I don't think we will have a water shortage this year if the reservoirs are anything to go by!

I do like the silver. Went through heavy rain, through mud packed "B" roads and it still looks clean in photos! :D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
R1 said:
R1 and MINI go to Elan Valley (Wales) in search of over flowing dam.
Finds one ... the end!
It's a MINI adventure.

Took my Cooper on a 223 mile blast on my favourite biking roads in Wales today to celebrate getting MINI fixed. God that cars good!!:D :D :D
No rattles, didn't notice the drift and corners like it's on rails!! ;)
I don't think we will have a water shortage this year if the reservoirs are anything to go by!

I do like the silver. Went through heavy rain, through mud packed "B" roads and it still looks clean in photos! :D
Beautiful shot R1! Pleased your car is now as it should be

Are you happy with power in your std Cooper? - Did you consider getting the S? I'm waiting for an S, but BMW are pissing about with delivery dates & prespec BS, so I may switch to the std Cooper

I'm getting a test drive this week, but it will be on urban roads with no chance to cut loose, so your thoughts would be appreciated...;)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Cooper Power!

Rich, to be honest, on the run yesterday any more power would have been wasted. There were only two places more power could have been used, and I was well over what I should have been doing anyway! ;) (on a private road you understand ;) ). I don't think an "S" would have done the run yesterday any quicker!
I am pleased with the power of the Cooper. You have to drive the car and stir the engine to get the best out of it which adds to the enjoyment. I have owned and sold motorcycles and cars with loads of power which I could never use, got bored with them and sold them because, as a total package, they didn't cut it. I think the Cooper as an overall drivers package will take some beating!
The "S" should be an awsome bit of kit (I will definetly have a test drive in one) but with the added insurance, running costs, I could not justify the change for the extra power I couldn't use.
I really like my Cooper!!:D

Whatever you get, make sure it's what you want! There will be nothing worse than buying a Cooper and then seeing an "S" and thinking "I wish I'd waited!!"
I know, I've done it in the past!

PS I do use most of the power of my 150 bhp Yamaha R1 sportsbike though!! ;) Easier to get round traffic on a bike!

PPS Bet the picture reminds you of home (there's a bigger version in my gallery) ;)

Sorry to drift (and thats a drift, not a pull ;)) away from the usual "Faults and Fixes" doom and gloom! ;)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: Re: BMW/MINI getting their act together!

Dogger said:

I've had some seat bases on order for over three months now and still no word (apart from excuses from the service team that it's a 'design enhancement' delay and that the new seat bases are very much in demand..:( )...

Sorry to hear about your seat bases. Mine are being fitted on Mon 11th Feb. They arrived at the dealers last Friday. Check with your dealer. He has probably forgotten to tell you they have arrived. If he still says that they are not available then get a new dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm sure they are

Hi peeps this is my first post so here goes:-

3 nad a bit weeks in + 1100 miles and NO PROBLEMS what a wicked little car, had big problems letting my Golf Mk4 1.8T GTI go, I was worried that I had made the right choice, and I have the MINI is so much fun and the Golf was so sensible compaired with it and the Golf also had lots of annoying faults in the two years I owned it, It pulled to the left! Leaked water from new and had Two new front door locks Two new rear door frames (rust), Two new rear shockers and a six week wait for a new exhaust system.
Are Minis great so stop dishing them, all new cars have problems don't let it put you off.

January 19th Delivery - AX51MKD Silver Cooper, Chilli, Auto Air, Big Wheels and hole in the roof waiting for the Sun to shine.
:)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: Cooper Power!

R1 said:
Rich, to be honest...
...I really like my Cooper!!:D
etc.
Thanks R1... Just the kind of stuff I needed to hear (on all fronts)

Looking forward to driving the Demo Cooper on Wednesday. Will be asking about delivery date on a queue-switch IYKWIM, though definitely haven't given up on the S just yet. No sir-eeee...;)

PS - Picture looks good in full gallery glory. Car looks like it could even handle the nasty wet 'incline' in the background;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts