MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what, if any, difference the dealer fitted Sports Rear Silencer will make to the sound of the exhaust on a ONE?

I saw a Cooper in Brighton that looked as if it had a BMW silencer fitted and it had an extremely low loud exhaust.

At the moment it's a case of getting a dealer fitted silencer or not getting one as I haven't ordered the car yet and won't have the 'modding' knowledge for a few years at least. ;)

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
I had a cooper on test before i bought my first MINI ONE in December 02 and it had the sports rear silencer(odd name cos its louder) i personally thought it sounded great and i was quite keen until i saw the £400 price tag.I suppose its about priorities,there are quite a few things you can purchase for your MINI with £400 but if a nice exhaust note is your bag then go for it.Why not check to see if the dealers has got a ONE or a COOPER with one fitted to give you an idea.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Had one fitted to my Cooper last week. It is loud, but not to extremes. It is obviously legal in terms of noise as it's an official MINI product. It's very nice and looks quite good too! :)
Doesn't make a huge difference to BHP - I've read one or two BHP extra.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
StevePSB said:
Had one fitted to my Cooper last week. It is loud, but not to extremes. It is obviously legal in terms of noise as it's an official MINI product. It's very nice and looks quite good too! :)
Doesn't make a huge difference to BHP - I've read one or two BHP extra.
How much? ;)

Oooh, and pics needed of course! :p

Is it any good, as my dealer told me not to bother as it's expensive for what you get.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
LOL! Your dealer isn't a very good salesman. ;)

I think it's good, but it's horses for courses really... It's official, it's not going to cause any warranty issues, it's(quite) loud (it pops and burbles nicely after letting off the throttle on gentle revving ;) ) and it looks good - subtle, not crazy, but definitely bigger/different.

Will try to get a photo up tomorrow. :)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
StevePSB said:
LOL! Your dealer isn't a very good salesman. ;)

I think it's good, but it's horses for courses really... It's official, it's not going to cause any warranty issues, it's(quite) loud (it pops and burbles nicely after letting off the throttle on gentle revving ;) ) and it looks good - subtle, not crazy, but definitely bigger/different.

Will try to get a photo up tomorrow. :)
How much can you do me one for then? :p

·
The REAL King of Bling
261 Posts
You got any sound clips of this exhaust? What size of tip is it?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Right, here is a pic for you all. Not my car, but our new demo that I've been promising pictures of for ages.
This car has the aerokit fitted, so the rear bumper is obviously different. With the standard bumper the exhaust juts out by about an inch ish.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'll try to get a picture of it on my car for standard bumper reference as it's difficult to judge on a car with aero kit.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Just remembered, it's the same exhaust that comes with the JCW Cooper kit now.

I took some shots last year when I tested a JCW Cooper.

It's basically the same exhaust as stock with a different end, and, I think, a less restrictive back-box (although the back-box does still look identical to the standard one ;) ).

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts