MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres a rumor that BMW will make a 3-door and 5-door M versions of the 1-series called the M1. Is this BMW's attempt to make the 1-series sutiable enough to try to get Mini owners to migrate over to BMW ???

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
I am sure that if this happens, some MINI owners will move to an M1, but since the 1er isn't available in the U.S., we have to wait and see if they will even offer a possible M1 here.

Besides, those interested in the driving dynamics of a MINI usually are interested in the driving dynamics of a BMW and vice versa.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
In the UK there have been reports that by 2006, BMW are hoping for Mini to go on its own. Already you are seeing the brands being split; two dealerships in my area have moved BMW/Mini to separate buildings to try and create a distinction between the brands.

It is for this exact reason - the M1 will happen.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
MINIAC said:
About 450 were produced between 1978 and 1981 ;)
Oh, and what a beauty they were!!! :) The latest edition of BMW the Magazine profiles top BMW lovers from across the globe and one of them is a lucky chap who owns an M1.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think that the new M1 is going to be in a different league from the MCS, as they are apparently hoping for around 310bhp and a redline of around 8,500rpm. Im guessing that this is going to be in competition with the Porsche Boxter S in terms of price and performance.

PS: They are not trying to get Mini owners to migrate over to BMW, as we are already with BMW!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The problem with the 1-Series is the styling. The front looks great but from the windscreen back it goes a bit wrong. It looks like an Astra! Of course this is the 5 door, hopefully the Coupe will look better.

The interior also looks dreary compared to the MINI, but most cars do compared to any MINI! :D

So MCS on order instead! :D :D

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
bigbaddaboom said:
Haven't they already done a M (1 series)

;)

Shame that car doesn't have 4 seats.... :(
No that was the M version of the Z3 which became a coupe. I've always thought it looks like a car from Thunderbirds :D

Supposed to be very good but too damn ugly to sell in huge numbers :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
bigbaddaboom said:
M Coupe was its name. Only about 950 came to this country and they still demand a high premium.

1200kg and 325bhp to the rear wheels suddenly makes it a lot prettier.
That's what I sold to buy my Mini.
I know I'm not the only one on here either

It actually weighs 1450kg, but 320+ bhp through the rear wheels with no traction control or DSC was plenty to make it interesting ;)

·
Carpe Diem
321 Posts
No, nyet, never, nunca....

BMW does not need to "get Mini owners to move to an M1"... There will be enough takers that they would never need to do that. Also, BMW would not, at least consciously, promote an intrabrand rivalry.

People will "move" to the M1" if they have the cash to do so, if they really love the car, if they have a need for speed.... oh heck... there are a plethora of reasons one could come up with.

It is more likely that an M1 owner might supplement ownership by having a Mini to drive when the "M" is in the shop.

M-cars are special as we all know... but so are MInis... for different reasons. Even a small-ish M-car is going to be vastly different in character from the Mini. Each has its own allure.

My 2 cents...... deposited.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Even the 130i looks interesting with a 258HP 3.0L inline 6! Too bad you can't somehow stuff that engine transversely under the MINI's hood! We can dream, can't we?

Harry

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Coupe version will be the M2

Here is a picture of the M2, revealed in Automobile Mag a few months back...

They say they're trying to squeeze the 333bhp M3 engine into it, with rear wheel drive and NO ELECTRONICS OF ANY KIND! No DSC, iDrive, etc. Simple, basic, fast BMW coupe?! Sign me up!

The author of the article states that BMW is taking aim at the market in between the MINI crowd and the BMW 3 series crowd, with pricing to match... should be a fine car, but definitely not a MINI.

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have also been showing interest in more powerful versions of the 1 series, and for sure, the 130 looks to be very good fun. The new gen 6 cylinder engine is rumoured to be truly excellent. As for the M1, and this is just a rumour, but the new M3 will be powered by a V8, the engine between the V8 M3 and the new 330 will be a 3 or 3.5 litre with a low pressure turbo, which leaves the current E46 M3 6 cylinder engine, which is still comparitively new and homologated for worldwide use, without a home. It could find its way into the new M1.

Just a rumour though............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.