MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an accident in my mini 3 days after picking it up. 40mph along a straight bit of road and it decided that it didn't want to go home with me! :) No reason has been given for this, just my bad driving!

Anyway back to the point, this all happened on the 24th November and I am still waiting to have my mini repaired, hopefully now by the end of February!

Mini Accident Management have been hopeless, they first told me I could only have a couresty car for 2 days and then after making do with only one car for 2 months (thank goodness my partner and I work at the same place) they turned around and said that I was miss informed and should of received a letter stating the couresty car deatils and contact information (didn't get this, asked for another to be sent, still waiting to receive that)...

They have also been trying to say that the delays were because of my insurance company but I know that isn't true as we had a bump last year (someone jumped a red light and hit me) and the car was picked up, repaired and back to us with in 3 weeks and it had a lot more damage... :rolleyes:

Is any one else having these problems and can anyone tell me how long has it been taking for other non-warrenty body repairs??? :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I work for a car insurance company & there is not set time limit in which cars should be repaired. It all boils down to the garage & how quick they can get the parts :( :( :(

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sorting out your delayed bodywork repairs

Without knowing who/what is causing the delay it's hard to give any advice.

You need to find out precisely what is holding things up.

However, following some or all of these steps may help sort things:-
  1. Call your broker or insurer and ask what has happened so far from their point of view (i.e. have they authorised repairs to the bodyshop and if so when?)
  2. If you have a broker, make him do all the rest of the chasing and demand a detailed report on what's going on (he gets paid his commission to sort out this sort of thing)
  3. If you have no broker you'll be doing the chasing yourself so call the repairer and ask to speak to the bodyshop manager.
  4. Insist on a courtesy car from either insurer or the repairer. Nearly all decent motor policies GUARANTEE a Class 1 vehicle provided you use an approved repairer. Loaning a car to you focuses the repairer's mind on getting your car back to you.
  5. If the MINI accident management service has let you down, make sure you complain to MINI Customer Service (it's almost certainly outsourced and MINI is paying for the service so they need to know if it's crap)
  6. If the bodyshop is an "approved repairer" on your insurer's panel, you can ask to speak to someone senior in the insurer's engineers dept - preferably the Chief Motor Engineer. Explain the problem and get him to take on the case personally and resolve it.
  7. If you still get no adequate explanation or progress with the repairer, insist on your insurer moving the car to another bodyshop.
  8. If the insurer or broker is ineffective, mention the ABI Code of Practice and the General Insurance Standards Council (GISC) - this should result in some action
    [/list=1] Best of luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts