MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered if anybody has had any problems with their bonnet?

I tried to open it today, in order to top up the washer fluid. It's been stiff to release before (I have only had the bonnet open 4 times since taken delivery 4 weeks ago.) However a firm tug today seems to have caused something to fail. The internal release lever pulls on two cables, the lower one releases the right bonnet catch, the upper one the left bonnet catch. However the top cable has either unseated itself from the latch, or has snapped - it's impossible to tell.

So it's going back to the garage tomorrow...

:(

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That sounds like a new fault, hopefully it will be sorted easy and will be a one off. Your car is relatively new, can I ask if you have had any other faults? If so what are they?
Anyone who has had no problems cheer me up a bit please?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Silver and Black said:
That sounds like a new fault, hopefully it will be sorted easy and will be a one off. Your car is relatively new, can I ask if you have had any other faults? If so what are they?
Anyone who has had no problems cheer me up a bit please?:rolleyes:
Apart from the non-linear fuel gauge, I've not had any problems with my october build Cooper. And who knows, I might have got used to it if I was of the sort of disposition where I didn't mind driving with the "low fuel tank" warning light on.

As for this problem... it's probably better to have a bonnet lid that doesn't open than one that opens in the outside lane of the motorway;)

kjs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Minor niggles

Well, Silver and Black, the other minor faults have been common ones. The driver's seat started to squeak and creak after a couple of weeks when driving round sharp bends.

Also, when I brimmed the fuel tank for the first time, the gauge only read 3/4 full. It read slightly more at the second filling, and read full (hurrah!) at my last refill.
It still drops a 1/4 after about 50 miles though...

And yes kjs, I'm well pleased the car doesn't feature a self-activating bonnet release feature! :)

However, given the sheer fun of driving it round twisty A and B roads - it's surprising practicality (I'm treating it as a 3+1 - my parents fit in just fine!) and the fab styling, then I still think it's great. Much nicer than my old Astra Sport.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply guys.
I am waiting on a late march / early april delivery and it gets a bit worrying reading about all the problems some people are having. It is so difficult to tell how many cars are affected, so to speak, with problems.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Minor niggles

Sharky said:
It (the petrol tank) still drops a 1/4 after about 50 miles though...
I think thats fairly normal. Mine does the same. In fact I've never had a car that possessed a perfectly linear fuel gauge.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Silver and Black said:
Thanks very much for the reply guys.
I am waiting on a late march / early april delivery and it gets a bit worrying reading about all the problems some people are having. It is so difficult to tell how many cars are affected, so to speak, with problems.
Probably fewer than you think! but (before I'm flamed :eek: ).....

sorry, decided my response to this was too far off topic of the bonnet release, so I've moved it to a new thread "the problem with problems"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved

Well the local garage (Batemans of Lindale) has now fixed the problem. It turned out that the bonnet locking mechanism needed to be repositioned, in order to reduce the tension in the release cable. The mechanic needed to remove the plasic wheel arch liner in order to release the lock in the first place.

The squeaky driver seat has also sorted, and the car also now sports a set of mud flaps. Hopefully they will reduce the road muck/salt etc that is sprayed all over the boot and rear window.

The non-linear fuel gauge I can live with, but thanks kjs for pointing out I'm not alone! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts