MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was cleaning my JCW the other day and noticed a large amount of very fine scratches on the bonnet. I guess a previous owner must have used a crappy sponge or perhaps driven it through a car wash. To be fair Black does show up scratches more than other colours.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to remove them? My car is in Black II so isn't metallic which should make it easier to clean up. I was thinking of having the bonnet resprayed.

Would anyone recommend this approach and perhaps have any ideas on costs and whats involed?

I normally go to chipsaway for large scratches or dents but this is more of a 3 year clean up, if that makes sense. Would prefer to avoid my dealer as they would charge a fortune!!!

Any help would me much appeciated.

·
Registered
241 Posts
First of all, can you feel the scratches? i.e are they deep.
If you can't you can use a polish to hide them, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is good. To remove them they would have to be machine polished out. A respray would be the last resort.

Options available,
Polish by hand
Machine polish
Wet sand and Machine polish
Respray

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the fine scratches you typically build up from using crappy cleaning cloths and from car wash systems. I think the fact the car is black it really shows them up after a good clean.

I use a good wax, Swissvax, and you're right...it does hide them for a few days.

Do you think a machine polish would remove them? I think they're quite fine and not deep at all. Would a dealer be a good option for this or do you know other people who might do this?

A few years ago i had limescale drip all over my roof due to a faulty leak on a ceiling car park. Had it repaired via a machine polish i think at the dealer and that was around £180....but paid for by a claim to the car park owners.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If they're only swirl mark type scratches, machine polishing will remove them. A dealer probably wouldn't do it (they're more useful at giving you more). Stuff like Autyglym's Super Resin Polish contain fillers which 'fill' the scratch temporarily

If you look on DetailingWorld you'll get some information about what to do and any detailers that are around your area.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you are using Swissvax Cleaner Fluid that will help a little, finish with wax to protect. Wax on it's own won't hide/fill scratches.

If you want the scratches removed take a look here - Regional Groups - Detailing World
Click on where you live, you will see a thread near the top called Need A detailer. This will give you a list of pro detailes in your area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts