MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been mentioned before, but I can\'t find it anywhere on the site.

Anyone got a rattling boot hatch. If so was it easy to fix.

Car\'s amazing. Handling is as fun as an Elise but a thousand times more comfortable and seats 4, well 3.5.

But that rattling hatch is REALLY annoying.

Remember that VW TV ad about passenger with squeaky ear rings? I can relate to that.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
It may not be the hatch!! I had an anoying rattle in the back of my cooper which I thought was the hatch, roof lining, seatbelts, rear seats????!!!!....I couldn\'t make out what it was but it was very anoying!! I had a good investigate one evening and found the culprit. The two rear seat backs are sloted into position either end on a bar so they can tilt. The seat backs are fixed into position via a 6mm bolt running through the centre of the two seat backs, located from within the boot at the base of the backs in the centre. I undid this bolt, pushed my fingers between the seat backs to make shure they were located correctly, and re-inserted the bolt and did it up tight with a 10mm socket. Problem solved!! This was two weeks ago and the inside is quieter than a library!! I don\'t think the bolt was done up tight enough at the factory. Give it a go, it might work!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have also noticed the two rubber ball ends of the cable, that lift the parcel shelf up when the boot is opened, hang when the boot is shut. This leaves these lovely balls to bang the sides of the boot. I taped them up to see if it helped, and again, bingo, no rattle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On 14-11-2001 21:25 newminimark wrote:
I have also noticed the two rubber ball ends of the cable, that lift the parcel shelf up when the boot is opened, hang when the boot is shut. This leaves these lovely balls to bang the sides of the boot. I taped them up to see if it helped, and again, bingo, no rattle.
I\'ve noticed this \"rattle\" too and wondered if it might be the balls (the car\'s not mine!). What did you tape them to? Will also check the rear seats.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have various rattles. :r

From the back and also from the doors now it seems - which can\'t be right. :( It\'s definitely nothing like a library. :(

I also have a very creaky dash - also creaks when going over bumps and also with the heater / a/c on - as it gets warmer and cooler it constanty makes noise. I don\'t think I have reas about anyone else with this so it\'s definitley not right.

Jon E

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Shake rattle and roll...

I have a rattle in my boot.
I lifted the head rests up and it seemed to calm down, although when going over bumps it does give a feeling of porr build quality as I can hear rattle and what sounds like a loose thud. I know this sounds really picky but like loads of other poeple have said, none of their previous cars rattled.

I think I'll go and have a day out with a spanner and screw driver and tighten everything up (if that's the problem.)

As this thread was started some time ago I'd be intrested in any progression you've had with regards to YOUR ratlles and squeaks and more importantly how to fix them.

Cheers,
KAS.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts