MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MINI owner
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As any well prepared MINI owner knows, the boot will be often filled with the necessary detailing and protection implements: bra, Cali duster, detailing stuff (gloss enhancer, window cleaner, towels, etc). I looked at the boot storage bin that MINI has to offer in its accessory catelog, but wanted something with a top that could support weight of groceries, hockey equipment, etc. Whether other MINI vendors offer something similar, I came up with my own cheap solution. The "sunken in" boot is perfect for designing something with a false bottom, and initially I considered the possibility of constructing my own boot box using a wood frame, but went the "quick and dirty" approach when the almost perfect size plastic storage bin presented itself. In this case a Sterilite bin was used (41 qt #1960; 34 7/8 x 16 5/8 x 6" ) which just about fits perfectly without its cover- just a small amount of the two front corners needed to be removed for the box to rest squarely on the floor.

Next, a piece of finished 1/4" plywood was cut with a coping saw to match the shape of the boot

The new cover can be covered with carpet, rubber, vinyl, etc.... but I elected to go with "diamond plate" PVC which is light weight and easy to cut. This was glued to the unfinished side of the plywood, using a water soluble, fumeless adhesive. To finish the edges I glued electrical wire loom (which was already conveniently split down the side) with the same adhesive.

Finally, the cover was slid into place, and because of design to match the shape of the boot as close as possible, the cover only lifts about 6 inches or so, but thats enough to get the things out. If any one is interested, feel free to PM me and I can give you the dimensions of the cardboard template used to cut the wood.

Attachments

·
MINI owner
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jwardell said:
Nice. Does it match the same level as the seats folded down? It would be nice to have an even flat floor.
Not quite....it is a little bit lower. And I did notice one other negative feature regarding the bin: when the seats are folded fowarded, there becomes more room between the bin and seatback and some bin sidewall support is lost. Of course, I can construct something to keep the bin dimensions true.

btw, good luck on your pickup tomorrow!

·
MINI owner
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the positive responses!

scooterboy said:
So where does one buy a "Sterilite bin"?
I got it at Target, but most other discount stores (Walmart, etc) carry their products.
Also, total cost was about $20. About $5 ea for the bin and plywood, and about $10 for the diamond plate (with quite abit left over for other projects).

·
MINI owner
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
plywood dimensions added

For all those who are interested, I've added the actual dimensions to the photo of the plywood cutout, below.
The 36 3/4" is the maximum width possible to still allow the cover clearance to slide in and out of the boot, which is only possible with the cover in the "raised" position. The dimensions allow enough clearance to add the electrical wire loom- if you use different (ie, thicker) edging, you may have to adjust your final dimensions accordingly.

Time to run....off to get my MINI's windows tinted! :cool:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
MiniG
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing