MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BertMini
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bizarro question and probably me being stoopid but....

Pulled into the driveway last night and wanted to get something out of the boot and put it in the garage and then put car away ;so I got out and left engine running but the boot wouldn't open... Baffled i switched the engine off and took the keys out and it would!

Is this normal, if so it's crap.... Is it perhaps a 'programmed' feature of the keys?

:mad:

TIA

Dave

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
That's normal. All doors including the boot remain locked while the engine's running :) You notice you have to "double open" the doors to open them?

I haven't tried but see what happens if you flip the lock switch. It certainly opens the doors. But I'm not sure about the boot.

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
KPKalle said:
That's normal. All doors including the boot remain locked while the engine's running :) You notice you have to "double open" the doors to open them?
I always thought this was the case.. I had to "double open" the doors in my old Cooper, but my 2003 Cooper unlocks them for me :confused: Its really foolish because I've been trained to pull all door handles twice, regardless of what car I'm in :rolleyes:

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
ImaVunDerBrah said:
I always thought this was the case.. I had to "double open" the doors in my old Cooper, but my 2003 Cooper unlocks them for me :confused: Its really foolish because I've been trained to pull all door handles twice, regardless of what car I'm in :rolleyes:
It's one of those programmable options - different presets may apply to different countries. The standards must have changed in the US between the two models.

My girlfriend didn't like the idea of the doors auto-locking in case of accident. But when she heard they auto-unlock in a crash (so I believe :( ) then she changed her mind. Me being a Londoner I prefer the doors to be locked :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
I feel the same way, i feel uneasy when i drive a car that doesnt auto lock, just have to tell people not to rip the door handle off when you are dropping someone off somewhere :eek:

·
BertMini
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah! I'm forgotten about the toggle switch... Might give that a go. I suppose the locked boot feature is good to stop people on the rob whilst you're stopped etc but not so good when you're trying to drop folk off and they need to get in the boot, unless you can toggle switch it open...

I've only just got the car so haven't played with all it's 'features' yet, been too busy driving.

Dave

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
it isnt a silly feature! you will find it is on most decent modern cars, it is to stop people robbing you in traffic! if u are dropping passengers off, just turn the engine off, it dont take much to turn a key in the ignition!! or flick the toggle switch again, as i think that might work, but I havent tried it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
The toggle switch will unlock the boot for you with the engine running so not a big problem really once you're used to it.

Oh and I can also confirm (from experience unfortunately) that the doors do indeed unlock themselves in the result of a crash. The car even switches the hazards on for you!!

·
bepmoc-er
265 Posts
cozzers said:
The toggle switch will unlock the boot for you with the engine running so not a big problem really once you're used to it.

Oh and I can also confirm (from experience unfortunately) that the doors do indeed unlock themselves in the result of a crash. The car even switches the hazards on for you!!
cool! ( but not something i want to test!)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I make it a habit to hit the unlock toggle whenever I have passengers, that way they don't need to pull the handle twice, and the boot is unlocked if they need to retreive something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts