MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Contact Jlm either on these forums or on the Noth American Motoring forums:

NAM

I believe that he has had a MCS engine on the bench and measured pretty much all everything there is to measure. Along with Edyn in the states, or was i the old one I can't remember, he concluded that there is no enough wall thickness to allow boring beyond 1600cc. I may be wrong on the detaisl though so please contact him directly.

Cheers,

Henry
 

·
Mini Mod
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
supercoopers said:
Contact Jlm either on these forums or on the Noth American Motoring forums:

NAM

I believe that he has had a MCS engine on the bench and measured pretty much all everything there is to measure. Along with Edyn in the states, or was i the old one I can't remember, he concluded that there is no enough wall thickness to allow boring beyond 1600cc. I may be wrong on the detaisl though so please contact him directly.

Cheers,

Henry
Quite correct.
BTW it's Endyn. The Old One and Endyn are one and the same.
 

·
A Total Mini Convert
Joined
·
923 Posts
Is the engine not used in 2.0 form in the Neon, and therefore could the head, pistons etc be swapped over. Sounds like its not worth it though, cost, ECU, injectors etc...
 

·
AWOL
Joined
·
14,247 Posts
thats interesting, I guess it shows the difference between old and modern engines... I have a classic Mini as well as my S, thats bored out to 1,380cc from 1,275 even 1,430cc is possible... I guess modern engines are made to much closer tolerances allowing thinner cylinder walls...
 

·
Best Personal Regards
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
If you were to talk to a race engine builder...say VAC Motorsports in the Philadelphia area, they would tell you that the Cooper engine (short block) is exactly the same one that is fitted to the Neon. I know we all wish it wasn't so, but there you have it. It is made in Brazil by DaimlerChrysler.......
 

·
Mini Mod
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
pocketrocketowner said:
If you were to talk to a race engine builder...say VAC Motorsports in the Philadelphia area, they would tell you that the Cooper engine (short block) is exactly the same one that is fitted to the Neon. I know we all wish it wasn't so, but there you have it. It is made in Brazil by DaimlerChrysler.......
Nope. You're usually right....not this time
At least not the 2.0

BMW and Chrysler signed contract for TRITEC Joint Venture Engine Plant in Brazil

Chrysler Corporation , Curitiba, Brazil, April 14, 1998 -- BMW AG and Chrysler Corporation today broke ground for their new joint venture engine facility in Brazil. The two automakers' $500 million joint venture company, named Tritec Motors Ltda., will produce 1.4- and 1.6-liter displacement engines at the new facility for export to global markets. James Bonini is named Tritec's Director of Technical Operations.

The new plant, which will have the capacity to produce up to 400,000 engines per year, will occupy a 40,000 square meter (430,556 square feet) site near the town of Campo Largo, in the state of Parana in southern Brazil. The building should be completed in early 1999, with machinery and equipment moved in throughout 1999 and the first six months of 2000. The first engines will be produced in the second half of 2000, beginning with the 1.6-liter version. Final staffing requirements have to be made, but the plant is expected to employ between 500 to 1,000 people when it reaches full capacity.

The new Tritec 1.4- and 1.6-liter gasoline engines will be highly fuel efficient and produce very low emissions in accordance with European and other strict emissions standards. Initial product plans for the 1.6-liter engine include the next generation of Chrysler's Neon sedans for international markets and the New Mini to be built in Great Britain by the Rover Group, a subsidiary of BMW.

Both BMW and Chrysler are expanding their operations in Brazil. Chrysler launched import sales in Brazil in 1996 and will start production of the Dodge Dakota pick-up truck at its new plant, also located in Campo Largo, this July. Last year it sold 10,217 vehicles in Brazil and expects to sell 18,000 units in 1998.
 

·
Mini Mod
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
pocketrocketowner said:
:) You will find my statement coincides exactly with the contents of the press release you cite..... :) I'd hate to make my first ever mistake of my whole life.......might even have to sell ole PKT RKT for that...... ;)
No, your implication in your prior post was that the Neon 2.0 short block and the MINI 1.6 short block are the same. They are not.

I'll give you $500 for PKT RKT :p ;)



And yes this is based on my interpretation of your prior post. This may differ from your intent.
 

·
Best Personal Regards
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
obehave said:
No, your implication in your prior post was that the Neon 2.0 short block and the MINI 1.6 short block are the same. They are not.

I'll give you $500 for PKT RKT :p ;)



And yes this is based on my interpretation of your prior post. This may differ from your intent.

As your claim is based on an interpretation and and assumption, I will continue to consider mahself omniscient.....sort of like the pope but without the funny hat..... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
2 litre!!

:D

Was wondering if anyone had already done this. If boring out the engines is not an option could the piston rods be shortened to run a larger capacity or something like that??

This makes perfect sence for the one and cooper owners, but it could be cheaper to buy a MCS instead of all the conversion stuff. HM.....

[email protected]
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top