MINI Cooper Forum banner

Borla Sport Install

853 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Z1GZAG N 
#1 ·
Finally got my Borla Sport Exhaust.

The instructions look pretty straight forward.

I've got a lift and will start the install tomorrow night.

Anybody that has installed the Borla got any suggestions that the instructions may have overlooked?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Well!

2 1/2 hours, a few swear words, but no blood and the Borla is installed and a trip down the driveway finds the sound quite nice. Not as loud as I expected but much more like the MCS should have sounded from the factory. Kinda reminds me of the older Jags or Alfas.

As for the install, the exhaust fits great but Borla's instructions are worthless. The pictures look like a kid in 1st grade took them.

My biggest problem was those damn rubber muffler hangers. If I'd known how much trouble they were going to be to get apart, I'd bought new ones and cut the old ones off. Maybe the muffler shops have a tool to pop them off, but I spent close to an hour fighting them alone.

Once the hangers were beat'n into submission, the next project was assembling the rear y sections and the two mufflers. Borla's instructions for this was to assemble as pictured.
Trouble is, with all the angles, it's like a rubics cube figuring out how to line it all up to get it together. Their picture showed the rear section completely assembled.

As for lining the outlets in the opening, I had it all lined up perfectly. I'd wiggled the system to make sure the hangers were settled in place, yet on my return from the blast down the driveway, the tips are just slightly over to one side. So, I'll drive it for a couple days and then put it back up on the lift and square things up another time.

After hearing a MCS with Borla's street exhaust, It didn't sound any louder than stock. :confused:

Did it make the car faster? Who knows. The sound makes you think you're going faster. Myself, I wanted the better sound. If it runs quicker, that's just icing on the cake.

As for sound bites, I'll have to see if someone at work has something to record the music. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.