MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Forum but am curious if there are any Mini Members in contact with the Mini Dealers in Boston, or Peabody Mass. If so what progress you are having. I am "on the waiting list" and every time I get in touch they never take the time to verify my contact info. . .they just state that they will be in touch in "3 weeks" for my deposit. The "3weeks" figure has been used 3 times over the last 2 1/2 months.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've felt like I've been getting the run-around from MINI of Peabody too, JBean.
I haven't contacted them in several weeks, but last time I did I was getting the same thing you are. "This week/next week/real soon we'll be breaking out the list, assigning numbers, blah blah..."
When I was up there last month to see the visiting MINI I discussed this w/ several others, some of whom speculated aloud if the list will become active once the, shall we say, premium customers have been served. I sure hope not.

I'll be up there Tuesday night, 02/26. I hope to corner someone and come away w/ a satisfying answer.

For the record tho', let me say, despite frustrating list-position-evasiveness out of MINI Peabody for nearly a year, the guy now running the show (Warren) has been very decent, enthusiastic, and willing to take the time to tell me what he knows. Its for that reason I'm merely concerned, not panicing, ranting, threatening, and stalking. Hopefully they've just been busy on things that will get us in our cars asap.

If/when you learn anything, let me know and/or post to the Dealerships Feedback forum. I'll do the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Redshift,
Curious, I have been trying to contact Peabody, and haven't had a reply. Have you gotten on the waiting list at Peabody and if so, what is the deposit, length of current wait?
When I talked to Herb Chambers, they said the wait would extend into August, and were not specific on my position on the list. He had no answers about financing for me. And seemed to be getting his info exclusively from the MINIUSA website, having no particular dealer insight.
He told me that the deposit was $1000 and after saying he would contact me in three weeks, he nearly hung up before getting my contact info. Needless to say, I don't feel as though my business means much to them and would be happy to take it else where. I would not be surprised to find that neither my name nor contact info was recorded.
But I will surely keep you up to date on my progress, if I happen to be blessed by the MINI Gods and get a informative response from either dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I chose MINI of Peabody and not Herb Chambers, because the former is a bit closer to me in Maine.

I placed a deposit ($500) on a Cooper in January and a second deposit (also $500) on a Cooper S earlier this month with Martin Hansberry and Brig Currie at MINI of Peabody. Martin assured me (both over the phone and in writing) that MINI of Peabody will only sell at MSRP. I believe they already have a couple of hundred deposits (a majority for the Cooper S) on hand. Thus I'm not expecting delivery of my Cooper 'til much later this year (and my Cooper S after that). Which is fine with me, because I'm somewhat concerned about the posts both here and at Roadfly detailing the QC issues (niggles) which some of the early British owners have experienced. Maybe by this fall/winter, MINI will have ironed these problems out. Also, Martin indicated to me that I would not be able to spec a vehicle before June at the earliest.

In any case, I'll be at their "Meet & Greet the MINI" (which, by the way, is open only to those who have deposits in place) on the 26th. Brig has guaranteed a fun time for all.

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Hi JBean, welcome aboard. I've got a deposit ("reservation") with MINI of Peabody since August 2001 for an S. Herb Chambers of Boston wouldn't give me any info., they were terse, rude and unhelpful. Can't imagine how they stay in business.
So far the folks at MINI Peabody have been as helpful as they can be within their limited knowledge/information. I don't think many buyers at any dealers across the country are able to get a really solid, date specific answer regarding ordering and delivery dates.
I think the "social" is this coming week at MINI Peabody for those who have made deposits on cars. RedShift can confirm that I think. I mistakenly threw out the invitation so can't verify the date and can't make it anyway. Of course if the new MINI dealership was built and they had a car or two I'd be there in a heart beat!:)
Any other Massachusetts, Maine, NH, etc. members are encouraged to check in at this thread. Would like to see how many (or few) we are.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This weekend, I stopped in Herb Chambers(in person) again to try to gather more info on the car and my position on the list. Not much luck again.
As I was leaving the dealership, no more than 5 minutes after speaking with the Herb Chambers Rep., Martin of MINI Peabody rang me up (I had left a message on his voice the previous day)! Martin proceeded to desplay toward me the sort of costumer relations I have desired. Needless to say I need not deal with Herb, and I'm setting up my deposit with Martin of Peabody today via fax from work.
Hope to see you all at the social. Hoping we can bring a guest, would love for my girlfriend to see the car I've been endlessly lusting over. (I think she may be a little distubed that her new pet name has been MINI.) I think she'll understand after she sees the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got off the phone with Brigg up at BMW Peabody. Put down my deposit for an S, and he said the list is at about 175 including both cooper and cooper S. They hadn't broken it down yet to give us more accurate figures. He did say they'll have two cars for the evening tomorrow, and that unfornately an S probably won't be one of them.
I checked out that other post, seems like many have had the same experiences. Well thats behind me now, and I would be pleased if BMW of Peabody got all of New Englands Business, after our cars of coarse!
See you tomorrow....I'll be the on with the big smile on my face:D :D !

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tomorrow night in Peabody....Martin said that they will have a 1967 Cooper S and a new MINI Cooper. He also mentioned something about him and Brig pulling customers aside during the coarse of the evening to have a chance to spec their cars.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow! I guess you'll have to be pretty close to the top of the list to be pulled aside and allowed to spec out your car. As you know, I'm "around #175" so I won't be holding my breath!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey JBean! It looks like we placed our deposits within minutes of each other at BMW of Peabody today. I'm not sure if I will be able to attend the meet & greet tomorrow night, although I'm really hoping I'll get to.

BTW, I also got the "around #175" response when I asked how big the list was. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hope everyone has a good time tonight

Looks like I won't be able to make the "Meet & Greet" like I had hoped. I've got to make a deadline at work and so I'm not going to be able to swing the drive to Peabody. Let us know how it goes, for all of you who are!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Beautiful weather in Boston...A great day to see the MINI! I'll be there in Peabody, and will fill all in tomorrow. Bringing my camera, so maybe we'll get some pics up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For anyone who doesn't have the details on the Mini social, its being held tonight at BMW of Peabody's M-Center (not at the new MINI shop - drat.), 7 - 9pm.

Amusingly, the invite has an RSVP, promises light hors d'oeuvres, and states "Please present this invitation at the door. Invitation is intended for the recipient w/ one guest and is non-transferrable."

Folks at the office have gotten a kick out of the exclusive nature of tonight's soiree ...for a $20,000 car!
Gotta keep the riffraff out somehow. ;)

Just jealous b/c they're stuck driving Acuras and Lexus (Lexii?), no doubt.

Oh, and Thanx for the birthday wishes, JBean.

See y'all there tonight.
(I'll be the guy looking another year older)

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Eric,
With that picture for an avatar I can see you knocking on the glass doors of MINI Peabody......."Daddy's home......."
like in The Shining! Maybe Brig will get scared and bump you to #1. Just don't go putting "redrum" on the bathroom mirrors!
Have fun.

·
Registered
51 Posts
MINI of Peabody's "Meet & Greet" last evening (Feb. 26th) was well attended...I'd estimate 200 - 250 persons all told. They had a '67 Austin Mini Cooper S (privately-owned and beautifully restored) and a 2002 MINI Cooper (Red w/White Roof & Mirrors) on display.

Warren Waugh, BMW of Peabody's Managing Partner, said the MINI store would be opening on schedule (March 21st) and he expected 20 - 30 cars to be in the first shipment (Sorry, I don't know what the breakdown will be between Coopers & S's. Maybe someone else got that info!) Warren also said they'd be receiving a similiar # of vehicles each month thereafter.

The MINI store will be managed by Martin Hansberry and the sales staff consists of Brig Currie, Cameron Hale & Keith ?.

JBean...I asked a number of guys who were taking pics if they were you. All I got was a blank stare in return!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
David...I was there until about 8:45. Shot some brief video and snapped a few pictures. I did run into Redshift. . .recognized his face from the picture he posts. We chatted a bit.
I also meet a gentleman that was #1 on Herb Chambers list. After dealing more with them and then realizing that they were charging above MSRP, he dropped his position to join the Peabody wait. Seems to be a trend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
JBean...I'm sorry we missed each other at Peabody. However, I did meet the couple who are basically at the top (just after the dealership principals) of MINI of Peabody's list and turned them on to MINI2.com. The husband spent a good part of Tuesday evening (after he arrived home from the "Meet & Greet") perusing this website. Because of the large number of posts from the Brits mentioning various "niggles," they're thinking about delaying their purchase (or, unthinkable as it may seem, buying another VW New Beetle!)

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
OK, let's all give this some thought:

David Scott said:
However, I did meet the couple who are basically at the top (just after the dealership principals) of MINI of Peabody's list and turned them on to MINI2.com. The husband spent a good part of Tuesday evening (after he arrived home from the "Meet & Greet") perusing this website. Because of the large number of posts from the Brits mentioning various "niggles," they're thinking about delaying their purchase (or, unthinkable as it may seem, buying another VW New Beetle!) [/QUOTE

Can we use this type of situation to improve our place on the coveted lists at our dealers? Nah, we'd probably be busted for insider trading!
Well, at least it's March 1st and IMHO the millenium finally begins in 21 days!:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts