MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just floating an idea for now... I know a bunch of us are photo geeks along with MINI geeks. How about a meet designed for picture taking instead of motoring? Of course, some motoring would be required to get from spot to spot. Non-photo geeks are of course encouraged to join in as subjects. :)

We could do photos of MINIs, scenery (urban, sea, country, night, whatever), or MINIs and scenery...

The night photo idea really interests me.

Some downtown Boston shots would be great, but I have no idea how we could find a location that screams "Boston" that would also allow us to get multiple MINIs posed. Perhaps just Boston scenery without MINIs?

Of course, we'd need someone to scout photo spots ahead of time, especially for the night shoot if that were to happen. And, a cloudy day or whatever could screw everything up.

Perhaps we'd need a location to "prep" the cars beforehand - clean off the bug splats, etc.

Someone could be assigned to accumulate the best shots taken onto a CD of the fullsized images.

Anyone else interested? I'm more than happy to update this, the first post of the topic, should it actually lead anywhere. But, I'm not local enough to be a location scout for this one.

·
Privileged & Gifted
8,137 Posts
I'm not Joe Photo nor vain enough to think I would be a worthy subject BUT I'd be glad to assist as a gopher.

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
I'm in...! We can make it a digital rebel meet if it's just you and me Jason ;)

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I was thinking of driving out to Fort Independance one of these days. Would be a cool place (really we should hit a bunch).

The pics on my page are just up at a lot up the street at Tufts. Really, I'd like to drive the mini on top of the Tufts library (you can walk there) where you overlook the boston skyline. If you can call it a skyline.

There must be some good locations in Gloucester, right Ian?

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts

·
Yo! Ol' Man!
1,966 Posts
Or we could all just descend like MINI locust on some event or place and photo the heck out of it. Be interesting to see how other folks would shoot the same subject... Kind of like a book club when you talk about the book you all just read.
Sounds like a great idea. :cool: :silver:

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I need to pick up some quick detailing spray because that particular picture had dust lighting up because of the overhead angle of the sun, detracting from the reflection.

m2smith said:
Or we could all just descend like MINI locust on some event or place and photo the heck out of it.
We already do this...did you see how many photos collectively came out of the miniMOT???

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, interest looks sufficient. :)

I like the idea of having people showing up who know we are going to be taking pictures firstmost, so we don't have to feel guilty about saying "could you park your car a few inches further that way?"

How's about we start making a list of locations we're interested in? Maybe not specific locations, if we don't know them, but criteria for locations. Then, hopefully, someone can say, "I know the perfect spot for that".

Here's some that I've thought of:
  • Blank canvas - a parking lot with nothing overpowering in the background, where we can arrange cars to our heart's content
  • Charles River (Cambridge side near Harvard) - My Boston memory is failing me, I forget what the name of that street is... it used to be closed to traffic some weekend days...
  • Random little side street with brick buildings / sidewalks - Beacon Hill?
  • Big, imposing granite buildings on MIT campus
  • Waterfront / scenic
  • Waterfront / industrial / shipping
  • Historical - Bunker Hill Monument? Something else?
  • Silly Boston landmarks - NECCO building?
  • Dirty / urban decay / alley
  • Bird's eye view
  • Old church
  • Triple parked in Southie :)
  • Zakim bridge
  • Hrach's mini museum - or is it still in storage?
  • Logan - or a view of Logan (can pezboy get us on the runway? :) )
Anyone else interested in dealing with night photos?

I'll update the first post soon with more details, like who's expressed interest and possible locations.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
The Hrach museum is currently non-existent :(

I want to talk with the local "classic super car" company to see if they would let MINIs visit - one of their people owns a MINI and I have a few contacts. Pics of $500,000 cars might please some people.

And I should try to persuade my work colleague to let MINIs hang out here at work - then we could borrow the boom lift or sizzor to get overhead shots from 50 feet! ;)
(like this one and others on this page)

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
The road that's closed at the weekends it called Memorial Drive. It's closed Sundays until the end of the summer as far as I know.

The NECCO building is now Novartis (Biotech) so they may get a bit twitchy about photography in front of their building.

There's always the Stata Center at MIT... maybe we could get permission to park MINIs in that amphitheatre part. :cool:

And I'm sure we could manage quadruple parked with MINIs in Southie! ;)

·
Privileged & Gifted
8,137 Posts
GadgetGav said:
The NECCO building is now Novartis (Biotech) so they may get a bit twitchy about photography in front of their building.
With a proper introduction and sufficient lead time you would be surprised where you can gain access. Give someone a call and learn to whom you would speak for permission.

Stopping by in person is most efective but phone and post work as well.

Don't limit your choices

·
MINI2 co-founder
653 Posts
ooooohhh I wish I lived closer - this sounds like an outstanding idea - great idea Snid...gonna have to do something like this in Texas.

So what does everyone here shoot? I have a drebel (300d) w/ kit lens and 70-200 f4L...saving up to get the 100-400L for wildlife and the 100mm macro for flowers and bugs. Do we have a thread yet on MINI2 where everyone is posting their own pictures? Guess I'll have to check out off topic.

·
MINI2 co-founder
653 Posts
sweet - thanks for pointing that thread out to me - gets hard to keep track off the almost 1 million posts on MINI2 :)

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Well, given that... they do have a little mutli-storey parking lot next to the building. If we parked on top of that we might get upward looking shots that include the NECCO watertower that is still on the building...

·
Privileged & Gifted
8,137 Posts
GadgetGav said:
Well, given that... they do have a little mutli-storey parking lot next to the building. If we parked on top of that we might get upward looking shots that include the NECCO watertower that is still on the building...
I find it helpful even when my activities may not involve direct access to sensitive areas to give the area in question the courtesy of a heads up to alert them to the nature of my actions.

For example I just posted a picture of my car on the grounds of Herb Chambers estate. I was going to park on the road with it in the buildings in the background. I approached the security gate and told him not to be alarmed when he saw my car cruising slowly through the area. he invited me onto the grounds and pointed out some good locations. Gave me a Coke and we sat in the garden gazebo and talked about the MINI and fishing.

Remember the shots of Ducky at MOT when the trooper let me place Ducks on the cruiser and then let me put one on the whip antennae.

People really want to help. They just want to know what's going on.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
About this Discussion
99 Replies
12 Participants
MaxaMini
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing