MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
have owned the wifes cooper s now for three months.
its a 2005 (55) with bullet alloys
the brake dust problem is awful.
ive never seen a car so bad.
its done 10k miles and is on original pads.
the dust streaks the alloys (front is the worst).
it wont wash off with a jet wash or alloy wheel cleaner.
i have to clean the wheels with Autosol to remove it.
its doing my head in.:angry:
has anyone else had this problem?
i will have to try different pads
any suggestions for pads would be appreciated (eg Greenstuff)
thanks
John.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)

If you do a search you will find that this common with OEM pads. Most of us switched to Miltex, Hawk or EBC to get rid or limit the dust. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've used greenstuff before on my golf GT TDI and clio sport 172 and never had any probs. The brake dust is slightly less than norman but the dust washes off alot easier. normally i would just spray on some turtle wax nanotech wheel cleaner and spray it off and the wheels would be clean without having to use a sponge or brush.

Im gonna try some redstuff pads on my mini when i get it,

·
Registered
80 Posts
After you clean your wheels why dont you wax them so the brake dust can be cleaned off easliy the next time.

There is also some specific stuff to put on your alloys after they are clean to stop this. Cant remember exactly what it is called but have a look round halfords they'll have it there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
best advice i can give you is set aside an afternoon

remove one wheel at a time give them a proper clean using a MIcrofibre wash mit and a good quality shampoo. and assortment of bushes to remove as much brake dust as possible

dry using either a microfibre towel available from halfords or a meguires water magnet

give them a good polish using something like Autoglym Super resin polish and buff off again using another clean microfibre cloth

and finaly get you self some of this stuff, 3 coats will give you great protection and will then allow you to just either blast off dirt or simply wipe it away with the wash mitt

Poorboys Wheel Sealant

btw its a along job took me nearly 1.5hrs per wheel

·
Registered
195 Posts
i thought greenstuff were supposed to be the dogs nuts??? when u say ther worse than stock do u mean the brake dust is worse or the braking power.....???

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
best advice i can give you is set aside an afternoon

remove one wheel at a time give them a proper clean using a MIcrofibre wash mit and a good quality shampoo. and assortment of bushes to remove as much brake dust as possible

dry using either a microfibre towel available from halfords or a meguires water magnet

give them a good polish using something like Autoglym Super resin polish and buff off again using another clean microfibre cloth

and finaly get you self some of this stuff, 3 coats will give you great protection and will then allow you to just either blast off dirt or simply wipe it away with the wash mitt

Poorboys Wheel Sealant

btw its a along job took me nearly 1.5hrs per wheel
Yep.. what he said..

I do this once every six months and a quick wipe over on the front face of the wheel with some more Poor Boys Wheel Sealant each time I wash the car.

Once you've done the initial hard graft of getting the wheels really clean it's a piece of cake in regards to the upkeep - takes about 90 mins to take all the wheels off and do the backs.
TBH it's more to check how the suspension and underside of the car is looking these days as the wheels are generally very clean anyway.

The brake dust seems to have an incredibly hard time sticking once the sealant is applied, the wheels also gain a lovely deep shine as a bonus AND they are so easy to clean just using good shampoo, nothing stronger required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts