MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
undefinedundefinedundefined

We recently had an accident with our Mini S. My wife claims the brakes failed and she hit a barrier. Dealer claims nothing wrong with brakes. My wife is only 57 years old. Do I have a problem with the car or my wife? :(

·
See you in my rear view!!
901 Posts
Well I had my brakes fail on my old MCS. Basically....apparently there are two circuits that control braking and one controls the front left and back right wheels and the other controls the other two.

In my case, one of these circuits failed and so lost a lot of pressure in the brake pedal and also braking was affected obviously. Very dangerous as was only braking on two opposite wheels!!

Jones! :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
John V Curci said:

We recently had an accident with our Mini S. My wife claims the brakes failed and she hit a barrier. Dealer claims nothing wrong with brakes. My wife is only 57 years old. Do I have a problem with the car or my wife? :(

First off....I hope your wife is OK.

What year and build week is your MCS?

·
Registered
271 Posts
John V Curci said:

more info please... any symptoms just before failure, symptoms of the failure, what did your wife experience from the pedal...
My guess: your wife felt the pedal pulse as ABS kicked in, and she let off the brakes, but I can't be sure without more info.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you search this forum there seems to be a problem with the brakes. It could be something to with the software but when the manufacturer won't make the software code available we'll never know.

From what I have read in the forum, it might be a problem when braking when less weight is on the wheels than normal due to going over the peak of a hump.

One circuit failing would be obvious when inspected.

I took part in an interesting test of driver reaction at MIRA (www.mira.co.uk) a couple of years ago. Each volunteer put into a car full of instruments (including driver heart rate monitor) and was told to drive round a closed course, and a set of traffic lights would change just as we approached, so we had to brake quite hard.

On about the 4th time round one circuit of the brakes was arranged to fail. The pedal went most of the way to the floor, but quite a lot of braking was available in the end. I got the car stopped half a length past the traffic lights.

Then we were told that the test was over, and they just needed a bit more data. They were lying and the next time, the brake servo was turned off. It needed me to push really hard to get a lot of braking, but I got the car stopped at the traffic lights.

It was a test to see how well people managed, and I thought that it was quite a good bit of driver education as well. A lot of drivers will have no idea what a car will behave like with a partial failure of the brake system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.