MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, was playing with my mini's onboard computer today and discovered that my brake fluid was due to be changed some 300 odd days ago! :eek: The brakes have been fine for as long as i've had the car, just thought i'd better get some advice!

It's due for an oil service in 700 miles so shall i just wait until then or should i take it to be changed straight away? (I'm asking because i'm not entirely sure how serious it is, have heard that brake fluid is only changed as a precaution)

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jamie. :smile:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'd have a look in your service book and see when the brake fluid was last changed.

When I got mine, it was on some minus figure, and it turned out that it had been changed, but they had forgot to reset the counter!

It should be changed every 2 years, and the coolent should be changed every 4 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hhmmm, i thinks its prob best to get it changed. depends on how much you drive your car, i do 100 miles a day, so would wait for the full service, but if you dont, then just get it changed.

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
With only 700 miles until your next service I would guess thats booked in the next couple of weeks? If so, just gee it dont with the service.

If you hardly drive the car and the service in 700 miles isnt going to happen for months, then get the fluid change sooner.

Brake fluid absorbs water even when not being used, so brake fluid change is something that needs doing after time, not just after miles.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm guessing from your name you have a 2003 MCS, do you have TLC XL? Because only the first brake fluid change is included with TLC, then its chargable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing from your name you have a 2003 MCS, do you have TLC XL? Because only the first brake fluid change is included with TLC, then its chargable.
Thanks for all your replies :) I do indeed own a 2003 MCS, I have 1 remaining TLC voucher for an oil service only so yeah, i will be charged for the brake fluid change :(...do you have any idea how much it costs?

And in reply to the other comments, i do average miles, so i'll be booking my service in for about 3 weeks' time...will get the brake fluid changed then :)

Thanks for the help guys, Jamie.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm not too sure about the cost, but as far as I am aware, TLC XL includes all further brake fluid changes (until 8 years or 80k).

TLC XL costs £350, so depending on how long you are planning to keep the car / how much a brake fluid change costs, that may work out better in the long run?

Has your coolent been changed last year?

Also as your car is 5 years old, the TLC will have expired, so your Oil Change voucher is useless now. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not too sure about the cost, but as far as I am aware, TLC XL includes all further brake fluid changes (until 8 years or 80k).

TLC XL costs £350, so depending on how long you are planning to keep the car / how much a brake fluid change costs, that may work out better in the long run?

Has your coolent been changed last year?

Also as your car is 5 years old, the TLC will have expired, so your Oil Change voucher is useless now. :(
Oh yeah, ********, i completely forgot about that! :mad:
Do you happen to know how much an oil change costs?

·
Registered
382 Posts
At a main dealer I can't see it being cheap!

You may be better off getting TLC XL @ £350, as that would cover your nearly due oil change, and the brake fluid change too.

EDIT:

Derek Woodmans (one of the site sponsors) have some very good prices for Mini2 members.

OIL SERVICE £96.00 inc vat

INSPECTION ONE SERVICE £155.00 INC VAT

INSPECTION TWO SERVICE £230.00 INC VAT

BRAKE FLUID CHANGE £66.50 INC VAT
COOLANT CHANGE £54.00 INC VAT
http://www.mini2.com/forum/derek-woodman-mini/145110-special-offer-service-packs.html

However, depending on how long your planning to keep your Mini, the TLC XL may work out better, as Inspection 2 isn't cheap.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
This might be a silly question but here goes:

When the brake fluid is changed, is there a noticed improvement on braking after?

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
This might be a silly question but here goes:

When the brake fluid is changed, is there a noticed improvement on braking after?
Not with normal driving but if it was old fluid you might find the pedel less spongy. Brake fluid is time sensitive due to it soaking up moisture out of the air. The other damaging factor is heat but unless you are running ebc green stuff on stock discs I cant see that being an issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i had a service and coolant and brake fluid change done today, brake fluid change was 39.49 plus vat from bmw/mini not sure about improvment as my brakes were fine anyway but for the first time in 6 months i felt the abs kick in round the corner of my street, with any car its best to change the fluid every 2 years regardless of how many miles it has driven, definately have it done when u next service the car,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts