MINI Cooper Forum banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
Well, its been around 5 months now since I disconnected the cable leading to the high level brake light as it was stuck on all the time.
I never could find that elusive diode even after stripping down all the front loom tape
- I did find the water damaged connector that fed the HK amp - FIXED OK
Ive just had the MoT & was informed beforehand by the testers that High level Brake lights MUST work if they are fitted - so I reconnecected the cable & 'VOILA' - it all seems to work Ok for now - must have been that bug that gets into the BC1 from time to time !!

LOL :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
looks like great info and I'm hoping i can find the areas you speak of for my '05. Where exactly is the BC1?

Where is the wiring loom with the diode you all speak of? (10" back from the lowest, rearmost connector...?? is that on driver's side? passenger's side? backseat, front? do I start in the rear and work my way forward??) sorry...please explain to me like I'm 6 years old. te location is still unclear. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but the locations are still lost on me.

does anyone have a part number for the diode?

THANKS!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
looks like great info and I'm hoping i can find the areas you speak of for my '05. Where exactly is the BC1?

Where is the wiring loom with the diode you all speak of? (10" back from the lowest, rearmost connector...?? is that on driver's side? passenger's side? backseat, front? do I start in the rear and work my way forward??) sorry...please explain to me like I'm 6 years old. te location is still unclear. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but the locations are still lost on me.

does anyone have a part number for the diode?

THANKS!!
The BC1 on my right hand drive car is behind the trim in the drivers footwell next to the bonnet release. I guess its in the same place on yours?

Starting from this and working back then diode was in the wiring under the carpet in the drivers footwell just next to the door opening.

I have read elsewhere that the diode may not be there on later cars and may in fact be incorporated into the BC1 unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
AWESOME!!:):cool::nice:

thank you very much for that!!

I'm in Canada...west coast... We are LH drive, and have a "hood" , and "trunk" instead of bonnet or boot. good news is, we still have enough ex-pats that we still hear those terms and know what they mean. :biggrin:

hopefully i don't have to throw it in the loo or rubbish. ;):D

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTW.... any Americans or Canadians (or other LH drive owners) found the wiring Brinks refers to?

I'm assuming they run it down the left side for our models??? Mine is actually a USA model that was imported into the frozen tundra of Canada....delivered to our igloo. :biggrin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
one other thing... (this is my brother's car and I'm helping him).... he took it to the local Euro car expert. The guy tried some diagnosing and charged my brother $50 (without finding the problem) :angry:. When he got the car back, he had even more problems... headlights staying on, so he just disconnects battery when he gets home and doesn't use the car.

is this sounding like BC1 issues...or coincidence.., or two unrelated issues? It seems to me the mechanic must have caused the second set of problems. He claims to be a BMW expert. Any way to re-set and get back to where we started?

thanks!!

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
......I'm assuming they run it down the left side for our models??? ...
No, pretty sure the BC1 unit will remain on the RH side - Only loom & controls associated with the move of the LH drive controls should change in any LH drive car.
As for the problems you mention, they could indeed be the result of water ingress into the BC1, although all models from at least 2003 onwards had a protective cover fitted over the top of the uppermost connector blocks due to this inherent fault.
But If you do find evidence of water then you could try out the 'Rice Drying' method on its circuit board as a possible easy fix before buying another unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
same as

Ok, all done. Diode was £8.11 total.

If you want to buy a diode and re-use the terminals to save a bit of cash its a "1N5626" diode inside the casing.

Hope this of some help to payback all the help this thread has given me and saved me loads of money and time :biggrin:
Hi, ye same as, cost £9.18 at BMW for diode, was under the carpet between accelerator and door sill in wiring loom, diode distroyed due to damp

·
Registered
4 Posts
BTW.... any Americans or Canadians (or other LH drive owners) found the wiring Brinks refers to?

I'm assuming they run it down the left side for our models??? Mine is actually a USA model that was imported into the frozen tundra of Canada....delivered to our igloo. :biggrin:
Hi there, I'm also in Canada and I have the same trouble and y'day after baling out about 4-5 pints of water!! stripped the carpet out, laid it out for two days to dry out; I did find the BC1 easily enough (still on the rhs bulkhead behind the trim forward of the door).

I've nowunwrapped the entire wiring loom (which was soaked) and still can't see the diode (the replacement which I already have in my hand). Unless it further back than I've gone?

Anyone else have an issue which may/may not be linked but after having to disconnect the battery (to stop the brake lights being on) Now when I turn the ignition the needles on all the gauges seem like they want to go in the wrong direction for a few seconds?!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: Absolutely no sign of diode anywhere.

Don't know if maybe the wiring goes a different route with left hand drive and BC1 still in right hand footwell? Anyway, car now dry and brakes still on after ignition key removed but works fine when engine started?? :confused:

I give in, looks like a fight with the salesman and ultimately a grand out of pocket for me! :frown:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Dave, sorry to hear you haven't fixed yours. What year is your car made? I think they incorporated the diode into the body control unit on later cars so maybe the rotten diode isn't your problem.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread....had the same problem twice now. First time i managed to cure it by turning ignition on/off a few times but the second time nothing would solve it. I had to just let the battery run flat and then jump start it.

Did anyone find a cure to the problem? Im having a read through the thread but im also at work :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
The only 'cure' seems to involve replacing the under carpet diode - cheap & easy to do it yourself once found. :)
Yeh, thanks i did see that in the thread. it is places in a white box either wrapped inside or taped to the outside of the wiring loom?

Any ideas how i go about accessing it? am i right in thinking ir runs along the drivers side footwell nearest the door?

Its weird how ive had the car for a year now and only had the problem occur twice!! the first time i noticed and managed to somehow get it off by locking/unlocking the car several times.

thanks for your response!!

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
.....Any ideas how i go about accessing it? am i right in thinking ir runs along the drivers side footwell nearest the door?!
You have to first remove the plastic trim panel that runs along the bottom of the door opening, then it could be anywhere in the taped up loom between the front edge of the drivers seat & the BC1 unit in the footwell sidewall.
Let us know how you get on - with pictures if possible :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, quick update on my saga! There was no diode to be found at all. In the end, the unit was dried out and contact cleaner fixed the issue re: the lights. However, after a couple of weeks we noticed water still coming in (BMW had blamed the drains from the sunroof). Then blamed the windscreen seal; changed their mind and decided it was a torn gaiter/boot on the steering column through the bulkhead. This was a major "fix" paid for by BMW after numerous fights.

We are about to get it back and I will update on the outcome!

What a drama

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why is such a common problem not recognised by BMW? I have the same issue (brake lights come on when ignition is turned off), my mechanic is tearing his hair out and my labour charges are rising. BMW said they have no idea what the problem is without running diagnostics. I'm close to just putting an on-off switch in the brake light cable for when I leave the car...

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
....BMW said they have no idea what the problem is without running diagnostics..
Dont think they could run a bath these days without 'Running Diagnostics' - Star Trek has a Lot to answer for :D

What year is your car? If its first gen, just ask them how much they charge to replace the diode mentioned & shown in the above posts
Lets see if they will just do whats requested without any £100 per hour diagnostics

81 - 100 of 140 Posts