MINI Cooper Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dont think they could run a bath these days without 'Running Diagnostics' - Star Trek has a Lot to answer for :D

What year is your car? If its first gen, just ask them how much they charge to replace the diode mentioned & shown in the above posts
Lets see if they will just do whats requested without any £100 per hour diagnostics
it's a 2005 Mini One, so I think that makes it a first gen.
Mechanic can't find the diode anywhere, and has had most of the carpet up. BMW technical told him to bypass the diode wire with a piece of "diodeless" wire - I would have thought this would have caused more problems as the diode is like a one way valve isn't it?

We've managed to establish that fuse F21 (that protects the speedo head) keeps blowing, but no ideas why?

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
... BMW technical told him to bypass the diode wire with a piece of "diodeless" wire - I would have thought this would have caused more problems as the diode is like a one way valve isn't it?...
Yes it is... but it fixes the problem {once you've found it that is}

An alternative approach would be to feed the high level brake light from a wire spliced into the normal brake lights {disconnecting & taping up the original high level feed wire}
That should fix it :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopefully going to try to locate mine at weekend, car is having a few electrical gemlins, brake lights come on when ignition is turned on but go out when engine is started, sat nav lights up for a few minutes then goes out, airbag light flickers, wipers used to just turn themselves on but have now gone back to normal, Is the Diode only available from BMW or did some one say you could get one from maplins ???
Cheers

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
Is the Diode only available from BMW or did some one say you could get one from maplins ???
Cheers
Pretty sure its just a standard rectifier diode, something like THIS ONE should do as Its a very similar spec to the actual one shown in post #88 above >> IN5626 SPEC

... although it wont solve ALL your problems, just those concerning brakelight hopefully

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having a similar issue on my 2006 Mini Cooper S - US model.
I was on my way home and used the right blinker and it started blinking quickly, usually indicating a bulb is out. When I parked it, I left the right blinker on and saw that, sure enough, the front bottom signal wasn't blinking. I thought nothing of it, turned it off, turned off the car, locked it, and went inside. Half an hour later, I noticed my brake lights still appeared to be on.
I went outside and saw that the my right and bottom brake lights were still on and no other lights.
I tried turning the ignition on and off, turning the car on and off, stomping on the brake pedal a few times, and locking and unlocking the car.
I drove it back and forth a couple times, but this still persisted.
At this point, it was dark, cold, and rainy, so I left it to see if it would shut off by itself.
However, this morning - 12 hours later - they are still on.
I drove my other rig to work and my other half is going to take a look at the switch this morning. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, as you're replying to the 'Broken Diode' thread, it does seem that the first thing to check up on would be your diode, as you seem to describe all the symptoms :eek:

Welcome to MINI2
:D
Definitely in my list to check - just have to figure out where it may have been moved to - all you cheeky Brits and your RH driving...confuses all the American dealers. :p

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
...- just have to figure out where it may have been moved to - all you cheeky Brits and your RH driving...confuses all the American dealers. :p
I should imagine its still mounted somewhere below the BC1 module in the RH footwell, but I guess some cheeky chappie in the factory could have moved it just to confuse the yanks ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Latest update:

Mine's a 2006 so the diode is integrated in the BCM, so we tried to get to that to do some testing. I got to it but couldn't get it out, so I took it in to the local German car mechanic and got a diagnostic.

Definitely the BCM and going to put me out $900. I knew going into this that it would be expensive but [email protected]

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
Definitely the BCM and going to put me out $900. I knew going into this that it would be expensive but [email protected]
There may be another solution ....

Lets just consider the way the brake system is wired at the moment:-

Pressing the brake pedal activates brake light switch, which sends signal to BCM, which in turn sends voltage to L/H & R/H lights via one cable & to High level light via another.

So lets say we now put an alternative Brake Light Switch on the pedal that supplies a 12v feed directly in parallel to the 3 brake lights, replacing the original cables.
(You might need to add a relay depending on what switch you use)

Total Cost somewhere around £15 - cant see why it shouldn't work or indeed why it needs a computer in the brake light system in the first place :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, the problem I see with that is I have 4 brake lights and only two of them are staying on. The bottom one was an aftermarket job that is wired differently than the rest of my lights.

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
Well, the problem I see with that is I have 4 brake lights and only two of them are staying on. The bottom one was an aftermarket job that is wired differently than the rest of my lights.
Well in that case its even simpler ..

Just splice in another cable from the feed of one of the brake lights that actually works to both of the lights that dont work { removing & taping up the original feed wires of the 'faulty' lights first }
Job Done !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well....the work has already been completed and paid for.

And they left the bottom, aftermarket light unplugged in case it was part of the problem.

So far, so good. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I had the same similar problem with my daughters 2004 minicooper. Basically when you removed the ignition key the brake lights would come on and stay on. The other associated fault was that the indicators would work okay, but the light on the dashboard/speedo binnacle didnt illuminate and there was no clicking noise to alert youthat the indicators were working. So having looked online for a solution, I saw the reference to the diode and the BC1 and so having unsuccessfully failed to findthe diode, I bought a 2nd hand BC1 unit...which made not the slightest difference to the problem. So I decided to google the BMW forums and I found a reference to the ignition switch as being responsible forall sorts of electronic gremlins on Beemers, and so I decided to buy a 2nd mini ign switch and give it a go, and hey presto! Fault is now cured!

Hope this might be of some help to someone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also bought an ignition switch , and made no difference...mine is a 05 model and me and 2 other mechanics Cannot find that elusive diode for nothing...Help!!!! please.. I have been for months trying to fix this problem with no success, I have had 2 mechanics other than me try to help me out only to be dumb founded. the more we read the more we see its mainly an 05 model issue and the most difficult to fix. I have not been able to find That So Called Diode...changed ignition switch no better ,bought a used BCM no go either...I need help please...thanks Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi im having same problem with 05 cooper s brake lights staying on cant find diode and i have fitted another bcm on still no joy as anybody sorted this problem out

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
Hi im having same problem with 05 cooper s brake lights staying on cant find diode and i have fitted another bcm on still no joy as anybody sorted this problem out
Is it all your brake lights remaining on or just the high level one?
If the latter & you've given up trying to find the diode, then the solution I posted above {post #114 } should work ok for you.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts